HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:37 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Discussion
Appendicitis...

Just got out of hospital ,following an emergency appendictomy..got a couple rants..

On the one hand ,i understand ER doctors being somewhat leary about "paitents" coming in off the street complaing of "vague " pains seeking immediate relief(pain killers)...especially if they don't bring any proof of insurance with them.I get that.

At the same time ,what happens to those with a geniune medical emergency?unless you arrive by ambulance they get thrown under the bus ....thats what happens.I arrived at the ER at appx 3 am...no one else in the waiting room...my wife and son brought me there in my PJs ,in our excitement to get there ,all thoughts to grabbing my wallet or cellphone etc were forgotten.W/O proof of insurance didnt see the triage nurse til appx nearly 4am...I don't guess they like patients coming in with self diagnosises either cause I knew what was wrong with me but they werent willing to check it out.I know that gotta do blood work first as well as urine anylsis etc etc ...as it was though it was nearly 7am before I ever saw a doctor...he ordered a CT scan.I remember going up to the CT room ,they laying me out under the ring and then nothing ...evidently my appendix burst while I was undergoing the procedure.After that I have no memory til I woke in my room .In the meantime My wife had secured my insurance information and suddenly I was someone noteworthy again....moral of story...If you have insurance make damn sure you have proof of it when you go in ,otherwise you are just another deadbeat looking for drugs.
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Mar 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:16 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Sounds like a miserable experience.

My appendix ruptured when I was 4 years old and I still remember the agony of it. Passed out in the car as my mom rushed me to the hospital and woke up the next day wondering what the heck had happened.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:20 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
I think you mainly had bad timing for arriving there in the wee hours, verses a non-insurance prejudice, but maybe not. You might also have picked a hospital with a lousy ER.

We recently went to an ER and the woman in the next bed was clearly there only to get pain drugs, as the doctor's questions and statements clearly indicated he knew she was trying to scam them. We left before there was a resolution to her "pain" but my impression was she was going to get some drugs, along with a fourth CT scan in three months (she had been to other hospitals).

Check your hospital bill carefully, ours had one charge that was clearly an unnecessary test mistake. We got them to remove it.

Congratulations on surviving your ordeal.
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:27 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiozz View Post
Just got out of hospital ,following an emergency appendictomy..got a couple rants..

On the one hand ,i understand ER doctors being somewhat leary about "paitents" coming in off the street complaing of "vague " pains seeking immediate relief(pain killers)...especially if they don't bring any proof of insurance with them.I get that.

At the same time ,what happens to those with a geniune medical emergency?unless you arrive by ambulance they get thrown under the bus ....thats what happens.I arrived at the ER at appx 3 am...no one else in the waiting room...my wife and son brought me there in my PJs ,in our excitement to get there ,all thoughts to grabbing my wallet or cellphone etc were forgotten.W/O proof of insurance didnt see the triage nurse til appx nearly 4am...I don't guess they like patients coming in with self diagnosises either cause I knew what was wrong with me but they werent willing to check it out.I know that gotta do blood work first as well as urine anylsis etc etc ...as it was though it was nearly 7am before I ever saw a doctor...he ordered a CT scan.I remember going up to the CT room ,they laying me out under the ring and then nothing ...evidently my appendix burst while I was undergoing the procedure.After that I have no memory til I woke in my room .In the meantime My wife had secured my insurance information and suddenly I was someone noteworthy again....moral of story...If you have insurance make damn sure you have proof of it when you go in ,otherwise you are just another deadbeat looking for drugs.
Wow, that's horrible.

Glad that it worked out for you in the end though and that you are all fixed up and on the mend.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:56 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
I think you mainly had bad timing for arriving there in the wee hours, verses a non-insurance prejudice, but maybe not. You might also have picked a hospital with a lousy ER.

We recently went to an ER and the woman in the next bed was clearly there only to get pain drugs, as the doctor's questions and statements clearly indicated he knew she was trying to scam them. We left before there was a resolution to her "pain" but my impression was she was going to get some drugs, along with a fourth CT scan in three months (she had been to other hospitals).

Check your hospital bill carefully, ours had one charge that was clearly an unnecessary test mistake. We got them to remove it.

Congratulations on surviving your ordeal.
Perhaps it was a wee hours thing perhaps not.This was the same hospital were I was treated for my heart attaclk last year...same insurance carrier too,you'd think they'd cross reference those things.I survived ,thats the important thing ,though I didn't appreciate the being treated like a second class citizen this go around.Believe me the ,hospital administration has gotten an earful
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:19 PM
..teach monkeys to fly..
Ottawa Intl, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
364 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps it was a wee hours thing perhaps not.This was the same hospital were I was treated for my heart attaclk last year...same insurance carrier too,you'd think they'd cross reference those things.I survived ,thats the important thing ,though I didn't appreciate the being treated like a second class citizen this go around.Believe me the ,hospital administration has gotten an earful
I have to show my card every time I go to Dr, or clinic or ER. Surely they have me on file by now. It bears on ridiculous. I took a sample to the lab with a doctors requisition, and they wanted to see the card.

Marten
Marten is offline Find More Posts by Marten
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:24 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Sorry to hear you had a bad ER experience. I've had a bunch of them.

Just FYI, West Virginia is constantly near the top of the ER visits per person.

http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comp...8&sort=a&gsa=2
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,727 Posts
Quote:
And I bet he paid close attention because if you talked to a lawyer.......he might be a little afraid you would have some damages coming
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:37 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
Sorry to hear you had a bad ER experience. I've had a bunch of them.

Just FYI, West Virginia is constantly near the top of the ER visits per person.

http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comp...8&sort=a&gsa=2
Yeah i get that too....the irony of the situation is that I disdain taking any narcotic substances un-necessarily ,while the doc gave me a script for a very strong analgesic (i'm told its street value is immense)I've yet to fill it.Using over the counter pain meds instead.some pain is a good thing,it reminds you to slow down ,dont rush things,take it easy til the pain is gone.. 400 mg of advil vs 6 mg liduadid(synthetic herion )no wonder druggies want this stuff.
Last edited by daddiozz; Mar 31, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:38 PM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
And I bet he paid close attention because if you talked to a lawyer.......he might be a little afraid you would have some damages coming
I'm not one to file a malpractice suit unless given good cause.In the end they took care of the problem ,plus repaired a previouly unknown/diagnosed hernia while they were rooting around in there ...under the circumstances I can let somethings go..
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:44 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,727 Posts
Quote:
I'm not one to file a malpractice suit unless given good cause.In the end they took care of the problem ,plus repaired a previouly unknown/diagnosed hernia while they were rooting around in there ...under the circumstances I can let somethings go..
I'm with you on that thought. Never sued anyone.....yet. When my hip dislocated after replacement and the Dr. said, "I know what I did wrong and I will fix it tomorrow" and then did. Why would you want to sue him? We all make mistakes and we should correct them when we can.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:48 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Just pretend not to speak english. Then you won't have to provide ID or most importantly a SS#. You'll get treated right away and never get a bill.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:31 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
Just pretend not to speak english. Then you won't have to provide ID or most importantly a SS#. You'll get treated right away and never get a bill.
Yeah?

You're the second person to say something like that recently.

How do you tell the medical staff what's wrong with you though,? You could go in with appendicitis and come out with a new knee.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:37 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Yeah?

You're the second person to say something like that recently.

How do you tell the medical staff what's wrong with you though,? You could go in with appendicitis and come out with a new knee.
That's better than coming out with a 75K bill. If you are doubled over, holding "that" spot, they won't work on your knee!!
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:40 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
That's better than coming out with a 75K bill. If you are doubled over, holding "that" spot, they won't work on your knee!!
Sounds like y'all need some form of health reform, so that folks get treatment first, then the hospital can sort out the details of who will be paying, later on.