SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:56 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Just snuck out w/ my MSR X for a few batteries. Sad to see dust on the blades!! Been flying fixed wing primarily, not being much of a heli guy, but this little thing is always a blast. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to zip around the yard at mach 12!

Thinking about getting a nano - robo - would be curious about your impressions of going from the X to the Nano. . . .
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:05 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Just snuck out w/ my MSR X for a few batteries. Sad to see dust on the blades!! Been flying fixed wing primarily, not being much of a heli guy, but this little thing is always a blast. I'd forgotten how much fun it is to zip around the yard at mach 12!

Thinking about getting a nano - robo - would be curious about your impressions of going from the X to the Nano. . . .
Good times, man, good times.

The Nano is a wild little beast. Learning to fly the Nano after flying the MSRX is about as crazy as learning to fly the MSRX after flying the MSR. That being said, having learned to control the MSRX through slow piros and circuits indoors has helped me learn to do the same with the Nano! Just like the X, you have to pay very close attention to the attitude of the heli as it turns and compensate with cyclic mixing. It's just that the Nano's responsiveness makes the MSRX look positively stable in comparison! LOL.

Then of course, because the Nano is a collective pitch, you have to learn to hit the throttle hold switch on your TX (you DO have a computerized radio right?) rather than slamming the throttle to zero. If you kill throttle with the stick, you risk going to negative pitch and having the Nano crater itself into the ground!

I had to get used to the fact that my throttle stick position is higher than it normally is with a fixed-pitch MSRX. I kept wanting to put it down to around mid-stick where my MSRX hovers nicely but doing that would put me at risk of doing the cratering thing again.

The settings listed in the Nano book are okay but I found that the 30% expo that they recommend for the DX6i made the response too mushy and I gave my Nano TBE as I was chasing it around with the stick. I find 10% is fine. In comparsion, I fly my MSRX at 0% expo and 100% throw so that's just me.

The Nano is fully capable of flips and rolls and so too much stick in one direction will start you on the way towards an acrobatic move. If you're doing this indoors and don't *mean* to do it, then you better be fast on the throttle hold!!! After I got the Nano, I went back to my Phoenix sim and started practicing with the MCPX model that's in there. Stuff like nose-in hovering and circuits are really important to get down correctly.

The nice thing is that both the MSRX and Nano are outdoor fliers. When I go out, I spend some time sweating over the Nano and then cool down with the MSRXs for a while.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Great info - You have finally helped me understand the need for throttle hold on my DX6i - Collective pitch would certainly put a different "spin" (pun intended) on the use of that throttle stick! I can see myself flipping the thing over by accident, then reacting by slamming the throttle stick down - only to watch the thing shoot straignt up - upside down!

Now I want one even more.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,352 Posts
Im new to helis and have no experience with collective pitch yet....what exactly is throttle hold and how does it work?
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,715 Posts
The throttle hold switch on your transmitter, when thrown, sets your throttle signal to 0 (or whatever you've programmed it to be) regardless of the position of the throttle stick.

It's for those emergencies when you're going to crash and you know you can't save the heli. When you crash with any heli, you don't want the motor to be under power when it hits. You want as little energy in the blades as possible to minimize damage to whatever you're hitting as well as the heli.

On larger helicopters that have a lot of inertia in their blades and drive systems, this lets you do tricks like autorotation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorot...8helicopter%29

where you can pilot the helicopter into a safe landing when the main blade has no motor power. Cool trick but it's also a neat way to bang up your skids if you mess up...lol

I use the throttle hold on my DX6i and my Turnigy9x if I crash ANY heli I'm flying regardless of whether it's a coaxial or a Nano CPX.

I also use it as a "safety" when starting and ending my flights. When I power on the TX, I flip the throttle hold ON before I power on the heli. After I land, I hit the throttle hold again until I remove the battery.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:29 AM
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Joined Dec 2007
374 Posts
msr x with led light kit

This past weekend I installed a led light kit on my msx. The kit was made by Ivan Pepe (Ivan2260 here on the board) for the Walkera 4#3 helis way back when they were new and very popular. I have a old post here on installing one on a 4#3:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...it#post8920045

I still had a couple of the kits unused, and wanted to put one to use on the msr x. I had to take it all apart to replace the main frame and canopy anyway to repair a hard crash damage- this was fairly easy. I found it very easy to thread the tail strobe wires through the boom, and the rest of the lights were also quick to mount. Using the Uhu Por glue make them all simple to remove or replace with no damage..

I cut the board down in size to shed a bit of weight, along with resoldering the leds minus the boards. The wire gauge sizes were reduced as well (both power and led) to save some more weight. The stock unit weighed 1.1g, now it's down to .45g total. So it made a good difference, along with making the leds look neater.

The heli looks great in total darkness, the vid below shows it in some light for the installation.

MSR-X heli with led light kit (0 min 35 sec)
shagrug is offline Find More Posts by shagrug
Last edited by shagrug; Nov 28, 2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,396 Posts
Very very nice. And such display of soldering and modding skills!
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Jun 2011
265 Posts
I had to remove the elevator servo and got a little ham-fisted. I However before I order replacement parts perhaps I can learn something from this situation and attempt to fix this one. So I have three questions.

1. In the first photo, where does the other end of the wire attach? Or is this the antenna?

2. In the second photo, where does the blue wire attach?

3. I accidentally pulled the end cap with the brushes off the top of the servo motor. Has anyone successfully reassembled one of these? It is very difficult to get the commutator between the brushes.

Photos of the correct assembly would be greatly appreciated.
Ramblin is offline Find More Posts by Ramblin
Last edited by Ramblin; Nov 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I had to remove the elevator servo and got a little ham-fisted. I However before I order replacement parts perhaps I can learn something from this situation and attempt to fix this one. So I have three questions.

1. In the first photo, where does the other end of the wire attach? Or is this the antenna?

2. In the second photo, where does the blue wire attach?

3. I accidentally pulled the end cap with the brushes off the top of the servo motor. Has anyone successfully reassembled one of these? It is very difficult to get the commutator between the brushes.

Photos of the correct assembly would be greatly appreciated.
1) That is the antenna - do not touch it or attach the other end. It should look like that!

2) The blue wire connects directly next to the red wire - look closely at your photo and you can see the rough sodder point - that's where it goes. I'll get a photo and attach it shortly.

3) check w/ RC babbel - if anyone ever has, he has. Look him up in the forum and if you can't find him, I'll PM him for you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:22 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
3. I accidentally pulled the end cap with the brushes off the top of the servo motor. Has anyone successfully reassembled one of these?
It's possible, but extremely difficult to do it 'right' and get everything back into factory working condition. From your picture the motor brushes are already bent and in need of straightening.

You're already stuck with the job of resoldering the servo motor wire. I would bite the bullet and get new servo mechanics to replace it. The servo mechanics themselves aren't much money ($7-8 or less). The servos just gotta work all the time and I don't know if I'd trust a servo motor that's been re-assembled.

Of course, if it's all you have to work with, then sure, give it a shot.
ruzam is online now Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Apr 2005
997 Posts
I've replaced servos on Vapor bricks; it's pretty simple but the soldering is not easy. Need very steady hands, fine-point iron tip, good illumination, rock-steady support for the board (don't try it mounted on the heli) and magnification is REALLY useful. As to the motor cap, don't think there's any way you could fix that. Ruzam said it all.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Apr 2005
997 Posts
Ah! Just got my Rakon swash! It went on easily and operates very smoothly. Looks great too. Now that I've got it duded up, surely they're going to come up with something else I've just gotta put on it.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roidspop View Post
Ah! Just got my Rakon swash! It went on easily and operates very smoothly. Looks great too. Now that I've got it duded up, surely they're going to come up with something else I've just gotta put on it.
Rakon blade grips?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,715 Posts
I just found the secret to learning to fly the MSRX smoothly indoors.

First, practice hovering, circuits, and piros on a Nano for a few weeks.

Flew my MSRXs tonight and they were positively docile in comparison!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:34 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,247 Posts
Seriously. I been testing and dialing in the wild brushless nano and when I tested GreyHoundFan's brushless mSRX indoors. I was tossing it around like it was a v911.

Regarding the servo motor, I haven't had any success with putting the bigger main motors or tail motors back together. I think I got everything done perfectly, but the motor would run too hot. Obviously j am doing something wrong.

Either grab the replacement servo mechanics spare parts or grab a 9958 servo spare parts. I think the motor will work. (haven't tested)

Is the mSR servo mechanics cheaper than the mSRX counterpart?
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon