SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:58 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,931 Posts
Tern Aero Traveler

Here are scans for the Tern Aero Traveller, a cute 24 inch towline glider. If you make one of these, it's probably a really good idea to use c-grain for the tail, or else do something else to prevent warps.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Another Request fore help

[QUOTE=WMD;23341911]Another request for help.

Steve, I thought of yourself and a couple of other Aeromodeller knowledgable contibutors when posting this. I consider smaller aircraft that have their superior flying qualities given to them by eloquent design and trimmed for flight by skilled and knowledgable hands to overcome or cope on their own in their highest and best purpose.

I have a request for help here as the scope of this forum with regards to plans is where to come to identify unusual and international designs as well.

I am trying to complete a set of plans I purchased out of the UK off ebay. The plan looks like quite an exquisite build of a Pitts Special S2-A in 1/3 scale. The plan text is in both French and English. There were many sheets to this large plan and while incomplete, so was my payment by agreement, yet I have wanted to complete the set at any reasonable cost and effort. Having searched for the origin of this plan in what has been all the wrong places, I am now placing it in sight of this forum of purveyors of plan truth.

The only identifying terms are McCullough and Aeromodeller. There is no title block on any of the sheets I have. These two common names do not lend themselves to the obvious. I am stuck. This is a large model. 80 inch span. and the sheets do have CK Nov 78, CK Dec 78, CK Jan 79 on the right bottom corners, looking as if there was a plan sheet per month possibly. In one search I had a gent from either England or France tell me that this plan had to of originated in Canada as we are multi-lingual and one would never see French and English on the same plan (and more) than I have here. I can be certain this is not Canadian in published origin. This is a big country, relatively few people and no modelling publication I can remember in my 50 years of reading.

There was one other 1/3 scale Pitts S2-A that spawned 2 more knock off copies of it. The plan which I am trying to identify is unique and possibly superior to the others I have built from.

I would be most grateful for an identity to this plan. It's not a Sheber, Dively or Airbourne plan.

Thank you, Bill
bee banger is offline Find More Posts by bee banger
Last edited by bee banger; Jan 08, 2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:51 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,517 Posts
Hi Bill,
I think it might well be the Toni Clark (Practical Scale) 1/3 Pitts.
Practical Scale has now been German based for decades and I think addresses a mainly European market, which would explain the French language (Belgium, Switzerland, etc.).
I have a similar Practical Scale plan (a BE2e) and the sketches and legends (character font) look similar.
Anyway, here's the link. Have a look and see what you think...

http://toni-clark.com/english/modelle/pitts/pitts1.htm

Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:52 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,481 Posts
Peacemaker U/C

Peacemaker
control line model from 1958
I've borrowed this from the control line thread.
It's a rather clean copy, supplied by LukeS
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...k#post19357441

Thank you.
John
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:53 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Here are scans for the Tern Aero Traveller, a cute 24 inch towline glider. If you make one of these, it's probably a really good idea to use c-grain for the tail, or else do something else to prevent warps.
I cleaned it up and reduced it in Gimp, merged it in PSE 9, and plugged it into Acrobat Pro. I may come back later and edit it, but right now I'm kinda tired of lookin' at it, lol.

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:18 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,166 Posts
Rescued

lincoln,

I think you found her .....Piper Super Cruiser...... EasyBuilt has been around since the 30's, and probably updated the kit when they went away from die-cut to laser cut.

Now I at least know what she's supposed to look like....i.e. wing struts, landing gear, windshields, etc. and I know there are a few sets of plans for an S/C located in this thread....VinPlanDex will show me where.

Thank you for your time and your help.

Calm winds

Charlie
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:53 PM
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
Old Pilot, I would tend to go with Piper Super Cruiser. Don't know which kit or plans.
One cut
One Cut is offline Find More Posts by One Cut
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:11 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
lincoln,

I think you found her .....Piper Super Cruiser...... EasyBuilt has been around since the 30's, and probably updated the kit when they went away from die-cut to laser cut.

Now I at least know what she's supposed to look like....i.e. wing struts, landing gear, windshields, etc. and I know there are a few sets of plans for an S/C located in this thread....VinPlanDex will show me where.

Thank you for your time and your help.

Calm winds

Charlie
Hey, Charlie.

I found a few Super Cruiser plans for free but none were the Easy Built, probably because they're still in business. One I found @ Hip Pocket is a 30" span. None of the others were 30". I saved a KK plan that has an 18" span and a Berkeley 35-1/2" span both of which include print wood scans. The 30" span doesn't include any print wood. I can post them here if you'd like.

g
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:22 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,931 Posts
What no Cloud Tramp?

Have to remedy that. From August 1954 M.A.N. Can't claim credit for scanning, though, as I found the scanned magazine on Colin Usher's web site. 22 inch span by Charles H. Grant.
Apparently there is a kit available from A&DB Model Aircraft, according to their web site.

The other one, from the same magazine, is the Half A Delta by Paul Del Gatto. Not quite sure what the span is supposed to be. Someplace around 33 inches, plus or minus a couple. Clearly related to that other delta flying wing by him that I posted recently.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:04 PM
Oldrndrt RCav8r
United States, OK, Ardmore
Joined May 2009
55 Posts
Quote:
All,

My questions:

What is she ? Wings/tail look like a Piper Cub, nose looks like I don't know what.
I don't think she's a Champ or a Citabria, but I could be wrong. Could be an old Cessna. I also don't know how old she is. Guessing 40-50 years. Neighbor's husband built kits back then.

Also, is anything missing ? wing struts ? wheel pants? bracing ?

30" wing span
20" long

Thanks much

O_P
O_P,

Looks like maybe a J-5 Cub Cruiser...the vertical fin is a bit different shape than the regular Cub...I see coments above my post re: the Super Cruiser...if this is it, it would be missing the wing struts and landing gear fairings (ala Cub) if this is what it is...I attached a picture of a 1:1 scale J5 Cruiser...nice model you have there! Can't help with who's kit/plans it might be though!

Have a Blessed Day!
George
georgewaldrop is offline Find More Posts by georgewaldrop
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:09 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,166 Posts
G,

That would be great........

Thanks to all.....now to try to cover this girl using my new found papering skills..HA !

O_P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:06 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,166 Posts
George,

Thank you much

O_P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:18 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Quote:
G,

That would be great........

Thanks to all.....now to try to cover this girl using my new found papering skills..HA !

O_P
I took another look and all the plans are available from Outerzone. I'd rather not re-post plans.

Here's a link to Outerzone instead: http://outerzone.co.uk/index.asp
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,166 Posts
Super Cruiser

G,

I understand......I've been looking in O-zone...

Thanks

O_P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 06:18 PM
Huntingdon Cambridgeshire U.K.
Joined May 2003
16 Posts
What No Cloud Tramp.

Hi Lincoln,
Sorry have to correct you on that one, we don`t sell the Cloud Tramp on our site. We made a shed load of kits for that model at the request of Flitehook & they sell the kit. We are currently building the prototype lasercut Frog Mamba which will be available soon

Regards Alan
adb1939 is offline Find More Posts by adb1939