HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:49 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
Great, perfect! I'll wait for v2.06. Any ETA?
Sorry, we don't publish release dates.

Quote:
there is some sort of delimiter in the file that Excel interprets beautifully on import (Notepad does not). I wasn't sure how to write that delimiter back out correctly because I don't know what it is.
Use WordPad instead. I use gedit at home and Programmers File Editor at work.

Quote:
Any chance you are working on a PC utility to manipulate the model files? I can think of all sorts of useful features...... mass programming changes like this last one, translation between various transmitter types (or even brands?), more graphical setup and programming, etc.....
I can neither confirm nor deny. Somebody started on one on the web, then I guess they figured out how much easier it is to use the radio

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:51 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,082 Posts
Parsing stops when it sees the EOF keyword. The tiny file system in the radios pads to the end of the sector.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:00 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
This may only apply to my model but I fly the Eflite Super Cub 25e. I have three position flaps programmed (zero, 20 degrees and 40 degrees). With appropriately set flap >> elevator mixing, I find I do not need additional throttle >> elevator mixing. Any remaining trim shift with throttle application is very minimal and I compensate without even having to think about it.

Paul
Paul - I'm flying a Eflite CAP 232 which is a 3D capable machine. I've got about 0-15-30 degrees of flap with elevator compensation. Works great to slow glide speed to a crawl. However, if I add throttle it climbs steeply at either flap setting. I want to be able to extend my landing approach with a little power if I'm short of the runway. This is the reason I want to mix down elevator with throttle, but only if flaps are extended. Should work perfectly.

freechip has advise how to fudge the Tx and still accomplish this with flap switch to initiate the throt ->elev mix. I think I'm going to move the flap function over to the Fmode switch on all my fixed wing stuff. Fmode switch is better positioned on the Tx for an easier grab and Fmode switch is an availble choice to initiate mixes. Again, idea comes from freechip...
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Last edited by Piper J3; Sep 13, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:32 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I can neither confirm nor deny. Somebody started on one on the web, then I guess they figured out how much easier it is to use the radio

Andy
I agree that programming the DX8 is way easier than radios I used to use including my much loved Futaba 9C. When it comes to simple programming of single models, it is OK to use the radio. But I can think of lots of uses for a well thought out PC program. For starters, the much larger screen would allow a totally different way of presenting the programmable features. Like grouped by control surface. For example the "Aileron" heading could contain EVERYTHING pertaining to the aileron channel, including subtrim, throw, end points, speed, mixing, expo, etc., all together on the same screen. And if the program had some decent graphics that were capable of showing a graphic representation of the aircraft it would be an improvement over the radio's monitor screen. Or.... add control movements to the flight log file and play them back in the PC software and you would have a really cool way to do a post mortem after a crash or examine how you flew a particular aerobatic maneuver. For example.....

Just brainstorming here.....

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:43 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,638 Posts
Probably what is happening and why someone hasn't made one yet is that by the time you export your model file to SD card. Insert SD card in PC, open the program, import file, work on the file, save the file Export on SD card, import back in the radio.

It probably is faster just doing it on the radio.

If the program would allow sub trim end points and all that stuff, how would you know what value to start with if not from having the radio on and already being in the menu to make the changes.

The idea sounds great but the reality is most likely you can manualy do it faster right from the radio.

My .02$ and I'm canadian so either at par or over under the US currency.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:50 AM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Oct 2000
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
The idea sounds great but the reality is most likely you can manualy do it faster right from the radio.
No argument there. But faster isn't the only factor. Think added features / functionality for archived and current models. Combine that with a telemetry / flight log viewer?

Paul
pgoelz is offline Find More Posts by pgoelz
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:19 PM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Model by model, as you select the model to use it. It will ask you a question. If you select NO, it assumes you're already done. If you select YES it does it for you and reminds you to check it.

Andy
Thanks. Just what we need.
netdudeuk is offline Find More Posts by netdudeuk
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined May 2005
14 Posts
Help with my 10t required.

I've tried everything inc changing cards and I can't load up the software update 1.04, the screen just holds and flashes at me, nothing is working.

I'm now stuffed until this is resolved, every update is a pain in the arse as it doesn't load, I then mess around and it sometimes just goes through (for no obvious reason) is this normal?

Steve
stevo_m is offline Find More Posts by stevo_m
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_m View Post

I've tried everything inc changing cards and I can't load up the software update 1.04, the screen just holds and flashes at me, nothing is working.

I'm now stuffed until this is resolved, every update is a pain in the arse as it doesn't load, I then mess around and it sometimes just goes through (for no obvious reason) is this normal?

Steve
Never mind, I misread the post.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Last edited by Mugen4Lfe; Sep 13, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:03 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_m View Post

Steve
Hi Steve,

The usual culprits are bad downloads or a corrupted image on the card.

Start by re-formatting the SD card. Use the "not quick" version so it actually tests the media.

Assuming you still have a copy on your PC, copy it to the SD card. Right-click on the card icon and select "Eject." This will cause it to flush unwritten data to the card. My machine tells me when it's OK to pop the card out.

Make sure that the name is exactly SPMTX.SAX - nothing else will be accepted.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined May 2005
14 Posts
Quote:
Hi Steve,

The usual culprits are bad downloads or a corrupted image on the card.

Start by re-formatting the SD card. Use the "not quick" version so it actually tests the media.

Assuming you still have a copy on your PC, copy it to the SD card. Right-click on the card icon and select "Eject." This will cause it to flush unwritten data to the card. My machine tells me when it's OK to pop the card out.

Make sure that the name is exactly SPMTX.SAX - nothing else will be accepted.

Andy
Yep done all of that inc the "eject" on 3 high quality SD cards, inc formatting all of them and trying each time a fresh load of a fresh downloaded file.

What makes me mad it that if it goes wrong it renders the TX useless until it is updated.

Going mad and need my TX for tomorrow.

Arrrrrrrrrgh

Steve
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:21 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,082 Posts
It almost sounds as if the card socket itself might be damaged then.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined May 2005
14 Posts
Quote:
It almost sounds as if the card socket itself might be damaged then.

Andy
It has never worked easily on this TX, always had problems.

Damn I was hoping to get away with it, but sounds like it will need to go and get looked at.

Any other suggestions?

Steve
Last edited by stevo_m; Sep 13, 2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:39 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,082 Posts
It's a royal pain, I wouldn't recommend it.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined May 2005
14 Posts
Will send it in to horizon.

It has totally siezed up now and not doing anything. I think it has expired!

Steve