New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2015, 09:21 AM
Find More Posts by Rhondas
usa
Joined Dec 2004
504 Posts
Discussion
a puddle master at its best

do they make a ARF puddle master today for lipo batteries and a brush less motor?

i had 2 of these planes in their days they were great flayers despite of the heavy Ni cad battery packs and inefficient brushed motors
Rhondas is offline Find More Posts by Rhondas
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2015, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by DaveA
Lawrence, Kansas
Joined Dec 2001
662 Posts
After Ace was bought out, someone else picked up the Puddlemaster and sold it under another name, something like Pondside. May still be available. As far as I know, they did not change or update the design, but why bother? Mount a lighter brushless motor in place of the brushed one, shift the Lipo pack around to get the CG right, and you are off to the races. It was lively on NiCds, you could probably get the same performance on less power because the power system would be so much lighter, and it would land like a feather. I bet something comparable to the Flyzone Beaver power system would fly it just fine.

Hmmm, might have to dig mine out of the "to be repaired" pile.

- - Dave

Edit: missed the OP's "ARF" point. Never heard of an ARF version, but it is sure an easy kit to build, one the easiest I every built.
DaveA is offline Find More Posts by DaveA
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Product Manager at Hobbico
United States
Joined May 2000
5,207 Posts
http://www.hobbyhangar.com/hhbaseline_006.htm

Pondside kit is down the page a ways

Also, on the homepage is the PS-36 . I can only assume this is "pondside-36".
http://www.hobbyhangar.com/hhbaseline_009.htm
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:43 AM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
504 Posts
pond side

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
After Ace was bought out, someone else picked up the Puddlemaster and sold it under another name, something like Pondside. May still be available. As far as I know, they did not change or update the design, but why bother? Mount a lighter brushless motor in place of the brushed one, shift the Lipo pack around to get the CG right, and you are off to the races. It was lively on NiCds, you could probably get the same performance on less power because the power system would be so much lighter, and it would land like a feather. I bet something comparable to the Flyzone Beaver power system would fly it just fine.

- - Dave

Edit: missed the OP's "ARF" point. Never heard of an ARF version, but it is sure an easy kit to build, one the easiest I every built.
so its never been made an ARF
Old Mar 13, 2015, 04:29 PM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
504 Posts
puddle master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhondas View Post
so its never been made an ARF
this plane was such a good flyer that I hope some day it will be made into an ARF
Old Mar 13, 2015, 04:31 PM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
504 Posts
kit puddle master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post

- - Dave

Edit: missed the OP's "ARF" point. Never heard of an ARF version, but it is sure an easy kit to build, one the easiest I every built It seems like all the younger people in the club don't even want to glue a stick together .
yes Dave it was , how ever when you have a hanger filled with ARF's
and thats whats out there now it is very hard to get the glue film covering hot iron fixtures and time involved with a kit now days
Last edited by Rhondas; Mar 13, 2015 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added