SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 05, 2015, 02:06 PM
Find More Posts by metalguy
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
3,194 Posts
I still have to maiden my second Spitty. I hope it flies like the first one did! That one still flies fine as a Biplane. ----Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2015, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by IGIVEUP1
Out of the Past
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Aug 2014
109 Posts
Windy ?

Flew in winds gusting to 30 kph on the ground an higher at altitude up at the Army Camp above town. No 12x8 apc at LHS so went with 11x10 apc on 2200 and 2700 3S. Not advisible prop on 3S in high wind as Spit hovering full throtle at altitude and actually flying backwards for 3-5 seconds at a time. 3 missed landings last flight cause went into hover 2-5 feet off gravel and simply could not get it down in one piece (I thought). On 4th go around LVC cut in so forced VERY high speed downwind landing. 100 ft bouncing runout to nose stand with busted prop and 2 tweaked cannon barrels.
Nice controlled crash. Guardian Stabilizer variable gain set to full which gave 4 inch tail wag on downwind passes (rudder set for max throw). Used 2D auto level 3 different times and dropped wheels cause couldnt tell which way was up in gusts at altitude. Flipping around like a feather up high. The Guardian enables the hover at altitude but its downright scary a few feet off the ground. If I hadnt been so rattled I should have switched to 2D heading hold 10 ft off the deck and just pulled throttle down till it settled in. Hard to remember draining swamp when up to axe in alligators. I was still vibrating when I got home. Ye Hah !!
IGIVEUP1 is offline Find More Posts by IGIVEUP1
Last edited by IGIVEUP1; Apr 07, 2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 01:40 AM
Find More Posts by dambit
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,282 Posts
Was a good story until I read you had a guardian stabaliser. Not really flying it, more like guiding it.

Glad it survived the extreme wind though.
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Apr 10, 2015, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
6,020 Posts
A lot of my friends are skeptical of the Gyros. I have been flying a long time--decades and I would say that Gyros don't take the fun out of flying which is the whole point of the taking off. I got out of competitive gliders when computer radios came alone. Made crappy pilots really good. I doubt anyone is willing to give up their computer radio now. Same said for 3 axis Gyros. With the Guardian being one of the best. I have them in half my electric fleet. Wind is good for gliders, but bad for scale electrics. Particularly, 1100mm span. I usually yawn at flight reports, but when the wind is that high it had to be exciting even with the Guardian.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Apr 10, 2015, 05:26 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,616 Posts
I have been fly R/C more than 40 years now. since about the 10year mark, never really enjoyed flying in stiff beezes. I tend to only go out in early AM until the wind gets to about 10kts or so then I go home. Since putting the "better" gyro's on board, i stay out longer now, get more flying done.

Though I generally don't put gyros in my warbirds, except maybe on rudder, I do put them in my sport aerobactic models to calm them down on gusty days.

to each his own.

Tom
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Old Apr 11, 2015, 07:29 PM
Out of the Past
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Aug 2014
109 Posts
Yeh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
Was a good story until I read you had a guardian stabaliser. Not really flying it, more like guiding it.

Glad it survived the extreme wind though.
Why do some people think a Guardian is an Autopilot? The 2D is an emergency for disorientation and will level you.3D heading hold smooths the ride in heavy wind.and off is off. Your flying the plane at all times. Its not flying you I used to spend hundreds of hours building scale and most died from wind. I dont want to play that game any more. I will be out there bending the wings off when the birds wont fly. My email address is tattood in the wheelwell just in case and 2D wheels down no throttle is my failsafe setting. In a different take you dont drive your vehicle without insurance. Best $70 I spent in a while and with the cost of shipping near the price of a new Spit I really want it to last for a while.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:27 AM
Find More Posts by Gilbert Griffith
Trust me I'm an engineer!
Australia, VIC, Bright
Joined Sep 2012
189 Posts
I've been away from the forums for a few months, but I recently rebuilt my crashed MK24 Spit with a replacement fuselage.
I am using a 12x8 Turnigy Light Electric 2 blade prop which fits with a bit of filing the spinner. I bought a couple of prop shafts to replace the bent one, from here, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2212-Moto...item4d1ef914d1

The front bearing on the motor is bad after the hit and it is noisy so I have ordered 10 for under $3.00 they are 4x10x4 bearings MR104ZZ. You can hear the sound if you want to look at my videos on Google + under my name Gil Griffith, you should be able to find it. I fit my Sony actioncam into the cockpit for the maiden. Then fitted it to my hat for the following flights.
The first two were with a 3S battery and the last was with a 4S, both 2200mah.

The 3S tested at 26 amps full throttle and the 4S tested at 36 amps. I am still on the stock ESC.
It goes like a rocket on the 4S but I only gave it three seconds at full throttle. I have ordered another motor a Durafly Stuka replacement 850 and a HK 30A esc which is good to 40A in short bursts.

I was checking the manual re control surface movement and am confused. They say 16mm U/D on ailerons but is this the total movement, or is the total 32mm? Similarly for the elevator. The rudder photo in the manual shows 10mm each way for a total of 20mm.
Aileron seems far too much so I have set my low rates at 50%.
Gilbert Griffith is offline Find More Posts by Gilbert Griffith
Old Apr 13, 2015, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
6,020 Posts
You may want to add a UBEC. The "short burst" on 4s may only be one before your ESC goes up in smoke and we lose another Spit.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:59 AM
Out of the Past
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Aug 2014
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
You may want to add a UBEC. The "short burst" on 4s may only be one before your ESC goes up in smoke and we lose another Spit.
I will second that! Im using 70 amp. Why? FMS supplies 70amp with all their 4S "Reno Racers". I relate "Burst" to fire-explosion-disintegration- and smoke.
Duck
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by Kev Miller
United Kingdom, Dunstable
Joined Jul 2014
12 Posts
Gear programming

Just got my taranis How do I go about programming the Gear? Was nice and easy on my 9xrpro but having trtrouble with the Taranis. Any help is much appreciated.
Kev Miller is offline Find More Posts by Kev Miller
Old Apr 15, 2015, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by sihinch
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
515 Posts
For the channel your gear is plugged in to, in the mix page, just assign the source to a 2 position switch. That's it.
sihinch is online now Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Apr 16, 2015, 02:00 AM
Find More Posts by EasySimes
Australia, NSW, Gladesville
Joined Apr 2014
280 Posts
sihinch is correct.

However in case what you meant was "can I have delayed retracts or asynchronous retracts" then the answer is no, even though the Taranis itself can be programmed to do this. This is because the retracts in the Spit are servo less and are either up or down. Hence you really have to use the two position switch, bottom left of the TX.

Hope that helps.
EasySimes is offline Find More Posts by EasySimes
Old Apr 16, 2015, 09:25 PM
Australia, VIC, Bright
Joined Sep 2012
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Not to worry. I spent most of the day yesterday fitting a 60A esc and while I was at it I replaced the 750kv motor with an 850kv of the same size while waiting for new bearings. I tested the 12x8 prop with 3s batt and it pulls 32A, with a 4s battery it pulls 47A at full throttle (static).
I then installed a X9R receiver and voltage sensor and set up my Taranis TX.
If I can get the data I will post it to show all the settings.
Gilbert Griffith is offline Find More Posts by Gilbert Griffith
Old Apr 16, 2015, 09:43 PM
Australia, VIC, Bright
Joined Sep 2012
189 Posts
Not very good setup but i managed to copy and paste to a text file. Let me know if there's a better way.
Spit24 setup on Taranis

[I1]Rud
Weight(+100%) Source(Rud) Expo(30%) Switch(SA↑) [Hi]

Weight(+100%) Source(Rud) Expo(30%) Switch(SA-) [Med]

Weight(+100%) Source(Rud) Expo(30%) Switch(SA↓) [Low]

Weight(+100%) Source(Rud)
[I2]Ele
Weight(+100%) Source(Ele) Expo(60%) Switch(SA↑) [Hi]

Weight(+65%) Source(Ele) Expo(60%) Switch(SA-) [Med]

Weight(+40%) Source(Ele) Expo(40%) Switch(SA↓) [low]

Weight(+100%) Source(Ele)
[I3]Thr