HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2014, 06:02 PM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
I am setting up spoilrons and this is my first hotliner so i don't want to mess it up and crash... Anyone have any advice on best way to do this... Do i need to mix down elevator like many do when programing flaps on a glider??? thax
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:58 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,099 Posts
Can't remember now if the nose bobs up - or down - when you deploy the Spoilerons.

I think it's "up", so you could dial in a little down-elevator. I'll check my Tx settings when I get home.

Either way, it's good if you can put a delay on the deployment. I run 1 second delay, IIRC - makes them come up gradually over a second or so, rather than popping up suddenly all in one go.

I'm pretty sure I run 2 stages too - 1/2 and full deployment.

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Jul 14, 2014, 03:09 AM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Can't remember now if the nose bobs up - or down - when you deploy the Spoilerons.

I think it's "up", so you could dial in a little down-elevator. I'll check my Tx settings when I get home.

Either way, it's good if you can put a delay on the deployment. I run 1 second delay, IIRC - makes them come up gradually over a second or so, rather than popping up suddenly all in one go.

I'm pretty sure I run 2 stages too - 1/2 and full deployment.

BJ
I know regular flaps make planes ballon up ...thax for the info
Old Jul 14, 2014, 04:47 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,099 Posts
Don't run 'flapperons' - make sure your ailerons go up i.e. 'spoilerons'.

These things don't fly well with flapperons - unless, of course, you're running separate dedicated flaps. I don't have anything I can say on that, as I'm running the out-of-the-box ailerons on separate servo's with 2 spoileron settings off the flap switch...

BJ
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:25 AM
Australia, NSW, Menai
Joined Nov 2013
209 Posts
what he said.. spoilerons!!!
shane_hood is offline Find More Posts by shane_hood
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:32 AM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
that's what i said also...just never set them up before..thx
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:51 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
I am setting up spoilrons and this is my first hotliner so i don't want to mess it up and crash... Anyone have any advice on best way to do this... Do i need to mix down elevator like many do when programing flaps on a glider??? thax
I had a Siren and I did use spoilerons with a touch of up elevator mixed in. Spoilerons alone with no elevator will pitch the nose down. It worked very well to decrease the landing distance needed. I can't tell you how much to use though. When I set mine up I first adjusted the spoilerons to the desired travel. I then did a flyby at a safe altitude and snapped them up and observed the plane's behavior. I'd then land, adjust the elevator mix and repeat until I had it where I wanted it. I just let my servos run at regular speed. I've tried slowing down the spoilerons, but I prefer that the control surfaces just snap into position. If your elevator mix is adjusted correctly you won't see a change in attitude, just a change in glide slope when you activate the spoilerons. I'm now flying a Solius and a Blaze, both with spoilerons. Works fine. I can actually drag the tail of the plane onto the ground as I land, kind of like a three point landing if it had landing gear.
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:54 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
that's what i said also...just never set them up before..thx
No probs.

Spoilerons help wash a bit of speed off and still allow you some control.

Flapperons turn the thing into a soggy brick - sluggish, stally... awful...

And yeh - what Davecee said.... get it up a couple of crashes high, deploy, and watch what happens. Be ready to bail if it goes pear-shaped.

Dial yourself in bit by bit until it behaves like you want it to.

I prefer mine to deploy over a second or so rather than full-on in one big hit. Whatever works for you

BJ
Old Jul 14, 2014, 09:28 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,750 Posts
Mine is set up as follows:
40% on middle flap position w/ 20% up elevator
60% on full position w/ 14% up elevator

I actually need to decrease these a bit as it flares up a bit now.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:17 PM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
Thax Guy.s for all the great info...