HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2014, 09:55 PM
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Discussion
4 Axis Setup and Mach3

Greetings all. I've successfully setup a 2 tower system using Nema23's, a tb6560 board, and 3/8" bolts. All seem to be working well for the most part and I can jog each axi.

However a few problems/issues I'd like feedback on.

1. Shaft couplings. I've hooked up small pieces of fuel line hoses and secured them with clamps to the shaft and bolt. They run well and have very little wobble. My issue is no matter how hard I clamp the hose on the motor shaft, a few of them always end up slipping off after a few rounds of operation. Its like the heat from the motors cause them to slip? The hose fits tightly even without the clamps so I can't figure out how to 100% secure them. I've checked alignment several times and I don't feel like ordering $10 couplings at this point. Looking for feedback here or if anyone has overcome this? This is driving me nuts.

2. Mach3 motor tuning for this hardware layout. I'm calibrated perfectly at 6500/10/6 in the setting screens. But if I go much higher in velocity the motors make a hell of a noise and don't move at all. So for a hot-wire setup I'm looking for good settings with this board and Nema system.

3. Stupid question - but I am assuming the towers should be organized as Left=x,y and Right z,a.?

Thanks and looking for feedback and not religious arguments.
bamiller is offline Find More Posts by bamiller
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:08 AM
Registered Loon
Jeffreys Bay South Africa
Joined May 2006
1,298 Posts
1 never had a problem with using fuel line (braided motor vehicle fuel line) using hose clamps, it sounds more like your screw shaft might have a bind ? can it turn freely by hand ?
you have probably got a little oil on the coupler section, try cleaning it with acetone/thinners

2 erm , keep it where it is then, what power supply you using ?

3 yup
Blackrat is offline Find More Posts by Blackrat
Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:34 AM
Joined Jul 2006
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrat View Post
1 never had a problem with using fuel line (braided motor vehicle fuel line) using hose clamps, it sounds more like your screw shaft might have a bind ? can it turn freely by hand ?
you have probably got a little oil on the coupler section, try cleaning it with acetone/thinners

2 erm , keep it where it is then, what power supply you using ?

3 yup
Yep... try an electric drill on the shafts too see if they bind or even try them by hand.. I've used fuel hose couplings in the past and they do work.

regards JH and good luck
jregholdsworth is offline Find More Posts by jregholdsworth
Old Feb 26, 2014, 08:02 AM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Thanks gents... my motor shaft is ok. Moves freely by hand and isn't bounded (i.e. angled, crooked, offset, etc.. when mounted) It may be the type of fuel hose I have. It works great for a bit but then the heat transfers to the hose over time its like it softens it. I'll figure it out, but just wondering if its been experienced by others.

I'll try cleaning it as suggested and try two clamps. If that doesn't work I will just order actual flexible couplings.

my power supply is a 24v
Old Feb 26, 2014, 03:17 PM
T.ing to put on air 100 models
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2008
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamiller View Post

3. Stupid question - but I am assuming the towers should be organized as Left=x,y and Right z,a.?

Thanks and looking for feedback and not religious arguments.
Hi,

may be x,y and a,b as well, while z is the wire (not used). You can set Mach3 either ways and probably this is true for most CAM programs, at least it is for ProfiliPro2.

Ric
chiloschista is online now Find More Posts by chiloschista
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:26 AM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
For now I think I've overcome it. I double clamped it for now and last night ran about 6 cuts (air cuts) without issue.

But here is a new teaser. I took a sample gcode file that cuts a vanilla clark y airfoil. (also thanks JH for your file) The strange thing is that the x axis wouldn't start moving unless I hit stop/start in Mach3. (all other axi kick off just fine). Once I hit stop / start then the x axis engages and the entire cut moves along. All other operations for the x axis are fine and have no issue (jog, calibration, etc...) So it can't be the motor or the board. Riddle me that one....?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 09:45 AM
Joined Jul 2006
112 Posts
Quote:
For now I think I've overcome it. I double clamped it for now and last night ran about 6 cuts (air cuts) without issue.

But here is a new teaser. I took a sample gcode file that cuts a vanilla clark y airfoil. (also thanks JH for your file) The strange thing is that the x axis wouldn't start moving unless I hit stop/start in Mach3. (all other axi kick off just fine). Once I hit stop / start then the x axis engages and the entire cut moves along. All other operations for the x axis are fine and have no issue (jog, calibration, etc...) So it can't be the motor or the board. Riddle me that one....?
where are the enable lines connected?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 08:11 AM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
Hey JH, not sure I fully understand. My Nema23 motors are 6 wires but I only have 4 of them connected. (White and Yellow are not hooked into anything on the tb6560) Everything else runs ok
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:20 AM
Joined Jul 2006
112 Posts
Quote:
Hey JH, not sure I fully understand. My Nema23 motors are 6 wires but I only have 4 of them connected. (White and Yellow are not hooked into anything on the tb6560) Everything else runs ok
there are enable inputs on the stepper driver board..
Old Mar 10, 2014, 01:07 AM
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
I've been so busy I haven't had time to follow up. I still haven't gone to research this. At this time my system seems to be running ok. I'm still working through various settings and speeds (kurf, speed, heat, etc...) But so far I have been turning out parts ok.