HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:15 AM
Joined Dec 2013
7 Posts
Discussion
Best tires?

Which are the best tires to use to hold up to the abuse of brushless motors? We put some new jconcepts tires on my son's Slash, even glued them to the plit six wheels, and he still managed to shred them. The glue just seemed to prolong the inevitable. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
supermex is offline Find More Posts by supermex
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:52 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,031 Posts
Welcome

I would suggest looking at Pro-Line, they are tyre experts

General advice, try to put a little more info into a topic title, like in this case, "Best tires for Slash" to make a topic stand out more. Helps you, and also people that are later having the same question.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2013, 02:44 PM
Joined Jul 2007
264 Posts
Wow what setup do you have? I just picked up a 2Wd Slash with a sidewinder 3 setup running a 5000 2s lipo. I still have stock tires and it just spins them on the road but they have not come apart.

Just picked up a pair of Proline Badlands for the rear but they are already mounted.

I am no expert by any means. I do trust my local hobby shop guy and we talked about gluing tires on and how it's almost an art.

I also have upgraded Proline shocks so that may help with the grip and hop.
DocG2828 is offline Find More Posts by DocG2828
Old Dec 30, 2013, 03:26 PM
Joined Dec 2013
7 Posts
My son has the Velinion VXL system in his and I have recently put a Turnigy Trackstar system in mine. No problems with hop but they do just spin the tires. I will most likely try the split six bead lock wheels and one of the Pro-Line tires. Just asking for some helpfull advice. Thanks to all.
supermex is offline Find More Posts by supermex
Old Dec 30, 2013, 05:41 PM
Joined Jul 2007
264 Posts
Good luck to you! Interested to see what more experienced people recommend as well.
DocG2828 is offline Find More Posts by DocG2828
Old Jan 02, 2014, 12:15 AM
Joined Jan 2014
6 Posts
AKA tires are awesome. I don't think you would be disappointed. I think they make an adapter to run 1/8 scale buggy wheels on the slash.
Freeko is online now Find More Posts by Freeko
Old Jan 02, 2014, 07:03 AM
Cow R/C
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Nov 2007
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermex View Post
My son has the Velinion VXL system in his and I have recently put a Turnigy Trackstar system in mine. No problems with hop but they do just spin the tires. I will most likely try the split six bead lock wheels and one of the Pro-Line tires. Just asking for some helpfull advice. Thanks to all.
Are you shredding tires on 2s? Or are you running 3s? What type of surface do you run on the most?
fastmax is offline Find More Posts by fastmax
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2014, 02:55 PM
United States, WA, St John
Joined Jun 2012
570 Posts
I'm going to take a slightly different approach. If you are looking for pure longevity out of your tires the hard as a rock stock Slash tires are the way to go. Pro Line, JConcepts etc are designed to have a softer rubber compound to get more traction and thus higher performance.

Another thing to consider is your sons driving style. If he just mashes the throttle and sees how far he can spin the tires, well nothing is going to hold up very well in those conditions. Ya might want to teach him some throttle control or have him start buying his own tires if that is the case.
Jimmy the Heater is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy the Heater
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2014, 03:07 PM
Cow R/C
United States, MI, Grand Blanc
Joined Nov 2007
1,416 Posts
^^^ Agreed! However if you want something that will be all terrain, offers a bit better performance, and still has good wear characteristics then Pro-Lines Trencher or Trencher X tires in medium compound will serve you well.
fastmax is offline Find More Posts by fastmax
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2014, 04:46 AM
Crew Chief
Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2009
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermex View Post
Off topic, but what version . I've been looking at the 3500kv system
terrasmak is offline Find More Posts by terrasmak