172 Posts
thanks.
zx32tt is offline Find More Posts by zx32tt
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2014, 05:14 PM
United States, TX, Sheridan
Joined Dec 2013
7 Posts
A noob question that I can't seem to find the answer to by searching the forum: Is there a default switch(es) that allow you to navigate an OSD menu with the Taranis? -- I've got a Skylark Dianmu OSD and can't get into the blinking, bloody menu!

Thanks for any and all assistance.
jfstaner is offline Find More Posts by jfstaner
Old Mar 13, 2014, 05:50 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfstaner View Post
A noob question that I can't seem to find the answer to by searching the forum: Is there a default switch(es) that allow you to navigate an OSD menu with the Taranis? -- I've got a Skylark Dianmu OSD and can't get into the blinking, bloody menu!

Thanks for any and all assistance.

That's going to depend more on the OSD than the radio. It's likely just looking for signals on particular channels to move things around. If it's connected via CPPM, you need to know what channels it's looking at. If not, make sure that the RX channels you have connected to it are sending some signal in the mixer screen. If you can tell us what channels it wants to see data on and how you want to control them, it will be possible to help. Someone might even make an EEPE for you.
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Mar 13, 2014, 06:28 PM
United States, TX, Sheridan
Joined Dec 2013
7 Posts
Well, I'm an idiot. The OSD manual indicates PWM input/output so I don't know what channel it is looking for...

The manual says
Quote:
Select among the above items with the help of 'Autopilot' channel switch, enter the corresponding menu with the 'Switch' channel switch
. -- Which loses me

From your reply, I take it that I should go into the Taranis Mixer menu and tell the tx to use, say Channel 6, SG switch for my 'config' a.k.a. the Dianmu 'Autopilot' channel switch and then another channnel for selecting the highlighted menu item?

Thanks for the quick response.

Edit: Thanks, from your info, and re-reading the diagram on the Dianmu for the upteenth time I see that they want the 'Autopilot' on Ch3 (OSD in) and the 'Switch' on Ch4. I just tried it and my 'Config' coming of of switch SG navigated vertically but the switch SH would not select - maybe because it is a two position switch. Will change the Mixer and see.

Thanks, again.
jfstaner is offline Find More Posts by jfstaner
Last edited by jfstaner; Mar 13, 2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 08:07 PM
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined Sep 2009
228 Posts
Aloft Hobbies rocks!

I know that most of the time we use these forums to complain about this or that vendor, but I have to say I am really impressed by the service of Aloft Hobbies, and I want to share it.

Last sunday I had a mishap with my Cub. The Rx (a FrSky 8ch D series) refused to bind with the TX. I had got it from Aloft two months ago. I emailed Wayne, who right away told me to ship it back. I mailed it on Monday, and today (Saturday) I had a new RX in the mail. Considering I live in NC, it was as fast as the mail delivers.

Outstanding customer service!

Alberto
ululi1970 is offline Find More Posts by ululi1970
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:57 PM
Joined Sep 2009
228 Posts
A strange glitch

Yesterday a strange glitch occurred.
Shortly after taking off, my Taranis announced "Telemetry lost", and the plane jolted. I do not recall hearing "Telemetry recovered", but I may have been just startled by the jolt and not paying attention to the radio. The plane flew fine for the rest of the flight, including receiving telemetry.

The battery pack was a 2200 mAh 2S LiPo pack freshly charged, attached to a SBEC.
After landing, it still showed 8.15V. Before the event there were no low battery alarms (A1 for the voltage on the rail and A2 for the pack voltage) were reported. Nor any low RSSI. In fact, initially I though I just heard a "low RSSI", and that is why I kept flying. It was when talking to my spotter than he told me that he heard the Telemetry lost signal.

It looks like the Rx rebooted, but I was wondering if anybody has ever experienced anything like that. The Rx is a D6FR. Aside from a few bumpy landings, it was never involved in any crash. The power supply should be fine. It is a flying wing with two conventional servos for the elevons.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2014, 08:06 PM
FOX ONE!!!!!
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Sep 2012
324 Posts
With an X8R i get the Telem lost and Telem Recover when I am to close.
But I have never heard it flying. the RSSI was jumping around but I never saw it go below 70. It is strange. But once flying it seemed fine.

Were you standing close to your craft at takeoff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ululi1970 View Post
Yesterday a strange glitch occurred.
Shortly after taking off, my Taranis announced "Telemetry lost", and the plane jolted. I do not recall hearing "Telemetry recovered", but I may have been just startled by the jolt and not paying attention to the radio. The plane flew fine for the rest of the flight, including receiving telemetry.

The battery pack was a 2200 mAh 2S LiPo pack freshly charged, attached to a SBEC.
After landing, it still showed 8.15V. Before the event there were no low battery alarms (A1 for the voltage on the rail and A2 for the pack voltage) were reported. Nor any low RSSI. In fact, initially I though I just heard a "low RSSI", and that is why I kept flying. It was when talking to my spotter than he told me that he heard the Telemetry lost signal.

It looks like the Rx rebooted, but I was wondering if anybody has ever experienced anything like that. The Rx is a D6FR. Aside from a few bumpy landings, it was never involved in any crash. The power supply should be fine. It is a flying wing with two conventional servos for the elevons.
neusse is offline Find More Posts by neusse
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2014, 08:19 PM
gke
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Feb 2008
2,464 Posts
Cell Phone Interference

I had my cell phone in the front pocket of my sweater in a low signal area so the cell phone was at maximum power trying to contact a cell. After I launched the Taranis started to advise by voice that it could not process a task. I cannot remember the exact words but very close to the 2001 Movie "I can't do that Dave" sort of message.My conjecture is that the cell phone signals were being interpreted by the Taranis as bad telemetry packets but at a very high rate which it was unable to process and reject.

There was no interference to the uplink to the aircraft which continued to fly with no obvious problems. I quickly moved my cell phone away to my jeans pocket and the problem went away.

Yes I know that cell phones on the flight line are not advisable but has anyone else had this interesting experience?
gke is offline Find More Posts by gke
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hubsan & FlySky Tx Adapter
Old Mar 23, 2014, 08:25 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,169 Posts
I get the Lost and Recovered quite a bit when Tx is very close to model but never during normal flight.
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Mar 24, 2014, 03:52 AM
gke
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Feb 2008
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
I get the Lost and Recovered quite a bit when Tx is very close to model but never during normal flight.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I get the "telemetry lost, telemetry recovered" message close in but not in the air. This message was different so I will try to repeat it next time I am out on the ranch so I get the exact wording.
gke is offline Find More Posts by gke
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hubsan & FlySky Tx Adapter
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:03 AM
Joined Sep 2009
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neusse View Post
With an X8R i get the Telem lost and Telem Recover when I am to close.
But I have never heard it flying. the RSSI was jumping around but I never saw it go below 70. It is strange. But once flying it seemed fine.

Were you standing close to your craft at takeoff?
The aircraft was maybe 50' away, just getting airborne. I will put the Rx in a
beaten up ARF to do some more testing. The area where we fly has low cell phone signal, but I did not have my cell phone with me, though the person next to me may have had one. There were two other fliers. Could it have been one of them turning on their radio?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:08 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,250 Posts
If the model jolted the only reasonable explanation would be a power issue. External interference close to the radio could make you lose telemetry, but not control. And any loss of the reception from the receiver would just cause it to stop responding but the servos would never move to a different point.

A bad contact on the power supply would however cause the same jolt that servos do when you power them up.
Check your wiring thoroughly to see if you don't have a bad contact on a plug, or a broken wire. A few years ago I spent ages trying to find the source of an intermittent problem which was actually due to a power supply wire being invisibly broken under the insulation and making an intermittent contact.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Last edited by Kilrah; Mar 24, 2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:02 AM
Joined Sep 2009
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
If the model jolted the only reasonable explanation would be a power issue. External interference close to the radio could make you lose telemetry, but not control. And any loss of the reception from the receiver would just cause it to stop responding but the servos would never move to a different point.

A bad contact on the power supply would however cause the same jolt that servos do when you power them up.
Check your wiring thoroughly to see if you don't have a bad contact on a plug, or a broken wire. A few years ago I spent ages trying to find the source of an intermittent problem which was actually due to a power supply wire being invisibly broken under the insulation and making an intermittent contact.
That is my feeling too. Due to lack of space, I soldered the SBEC output to the rudder servo. Maybe a cold joint. I am going to replace the LiPo with a LiFe battery, and get rid of the SBEC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:16 AM
FOX ONE!!!!!
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Sep 2012
324 Posts
Telemetry Lost and then Recovered Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
I was looking through the new OpenTX 2.0 and saw a reference to this.
Seems the Telemetry is resetting for some reason and is not really lost and recovered. At least that is the description of the bug

In OpenTX 2.0 this is supposed to be fixed so it will not alert falsely.

OpenTX 2.0 will be very nice one it is finally released.
neusse is offline Find More Posts by neusse
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by neusse; Mar 24, 2014 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Add title
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:39 PM
Joined Sep 2009
228 Posts
I am looking forward to all of the goodies that are supposed to come with OpenTx 2.0.
RCG Plus Member