Cool Bruce....has that "organic" look.
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2014, 07:55 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Thank you Freddy... That'll change when the green paint goes on; that white styrene gives it that modern look.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:14 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
838 Posts
By organic I don't mean color, more like "scratchbuilt, handmade, by hand, master modeler".
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:43 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy View Post
By organic I don't mean color, more like "scratchbuilt, handmade, by hand, master modeler".
OH ...If you look up organic it says a modern look?

Well thank you very much for your kind words;... I just mixed up some green paint, Rustoulem Yellow... w/ a lil bit of Black and shot the first coat of the base color on the seats, back wall and base/ capsule pan.

I'll post some photos later on today,

Bruce
Old Jul 11, 2014, 02:48 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,444 Posts
Bruce, what kind of wood are you using for the plugs?

Jim
parkcityskier is offline Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Jul 11, 2014, 03:17 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier View Post
Bruce, what kind of wood are you using for the plugs?

Jim
Jim.... the one I'm now making for the aft bubble turrets on the PBY is made from balsa; then sand sealed w/ 2-3 coats then shot w/ 4-5 coats of epoxy paint and let cure for a week or so.

I would like to find a good source for clear sugar pine; but have had no luck finding it here in MD.

Bruce
Old Jul 11, 2014, 04:14 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Well I didn't get much done today made some seat cushions out of the pink foam; then mixed up some green and shot a base coat on the cockpit.

This I did by mixing yellow and a lil bit of black Rustoulem Pro then shot it out of my air brush.

I've done all of this in between packing up my camping gear for my vacation to western MD next week, I also shot some more coats of the epoxy paint on the aft bubble turrets plug, this paint is very nice to work w/ and I now have 5 coats total.

It will cure the whole time I'm gone and when I get back I'll do those pulls.

I need to find some water base paint around here for the foam cushions, here's afew shots of the green base coat; I'll be adding were and tear, rust , dirt.etc when I can find my acrylic paints.

I ordered some rare earth magnets 100 total 50 of each size 1/4" & 1/8"

I've also ordered a big Tower hobby order so when I get back I'll have my materials.

I got some J'Tec Instruments decal Kit Color 1/12 Scale to make the dash panel.

I've also ordered some 3/4" ALUM strut tubing, Brass tubing, more styrene to make the removable struts; I'll do these like I did my Stinson SR-9 w/ two brass tubes sliding into each other where the meet the fuse there will only be one bolt into a T-nut in the wing.

And I'll make styrene escutcheons w/ my Vac-U-Former.

Still playing around w/ everything,

Bruce
Old Jul 12, 2014, 08:39 AM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,444 Posts
Thanks, Bruce, for the info. Your details are looking good.
Jim
parkcityskier is offline Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Jul 15, 2014, 09:20 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Thanks Jim I hope it was helpful, I've been busy getting ready for my camping trip on Friday.

But I did how ever get some base weathering inside of the cockpit; Don't judge to harshly here on this most of it will be covered up w/ dials, levers, switches and pipes & wires.

Also the camera picks up every little detail and brightens it up a great deal; in person they don't look like the photos.

And most of my supplies have come in just waiting on the 1/12 scale decal gauges kit to arrive.

The magnets are very small but very powerful should do the trick holding the cockpit in place.

I've taken a photo of the Alum tubing - Brass tubing I'll be using for the wing struts; also the 8 LARGE sheets 0.030 white styrene came in so I can form the escutcheons against the fuse and wings, and parts for my BV-138 build.

The aft bubble plug is now finished and will cure while I'm away on vacation.

Bruce