Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:17 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,562 Posts
Discussion
Futaba 7C Anomaly

Weird Rudder Mix with Throttle

I've almost completed my new RCLander Panther. This is my second one. This one has the lighting system from the factory with the separate controller that plugs into the ESC. Well...all of the lights work well as do all of the other systems...EXCEPT...when I increase the throttle, the rudder increases left input all the way to max throttle!!!

I don't have any type of mixes in my Futaba 7C at all. But, just to be sure, I deleted and reset my plane to start all over and it did that same problem again. I also unplugged the lights controller from the ESC and plugged the ESC directly into Futaba receiver and it did the same thing again!

I can only suspect the lights controller??? I'm going to unhook it completely tonight and try it all without the lights.

I'm using original 7 channel Futaba receiver.

Any suggestions ... or anyone had this type of trouble previously?

Thanks,

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:28 AM
FPV Crash Dummy
United States, CT, Bloomfield
Joined Aug 2007
402 Posts
You already did the first thing I would try which is reset the model's programming. Next step I would do would be to only have rudder and throttle plugged into the rx and see if it still is happening.
igorp is offline Find More Posts by igorp
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:13 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
982 Posts
Sounds like you may have the rudder servo plugged into the throttle channel. Have you tried moving your rudder stick and see what happens? Hate to be negative, but if the rudder also moves, you have a real problem.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:01 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,562 Posts
Yes, I like the idea of nothing but rudder and throttle plugged in...I'll try that tonight. If that still does the same thing then I have an RX problem for sure 'cos none of my other planes do that on the same TX.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:14 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,562 Posts
Saga Continues

I unplugged everything but the ESC and Rudder last night...no lights controller wired in at all. It still moved the rudder with the throttle!

I then got all my other planes and tested them...They ALL move rudder with throttle.

The only change that I have made recently to my Futaba 7C TX is to replace the stock battery with a lipo that has more voltage. It's a Turnigy 3 cell 2500

What I did for the time being is to program in a Mix that mixes throttle (Master) with Rudder (Slave) that adds right rudder as throttle increases...I had to put about 25% to neutralize the effect. Not real comfortable leaving that for long term.

Anyone ever had over-voltage issues with Futaba 7c ??? When fully charged, the TX battery (lipo) goes to almost 13v where the stock one goes to almost 11v.

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:34 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,156 Posts
Russ,
It sounds as though you inadvertently changed the software setting for the stick mode in your radio. Stick mode (1-4) is a global setting and affects all models.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:43 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,562 Posts
If so, and it sounds like a possibility, how do I change it back?

Do you mean like Mode 2 (USA mode) vs. Mode 1 ... there are 2 other modes? My sticks are still in mode 2 style with rudder and throttle on left and aileron/elevator on right. ??

Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Russ,
It sounds as though you inadvertently changed the software setting for the stick mode in your radio. Stick mode (1-4) is a global setting and affects all models.
Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:54 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,562 Posts
Stick Mode

I found this when Googled it:

From Tower Hobbies Website:

Modeler can change from the default mode (mode 2 in USA) by holding the
Mode and End keys and then turning transmitter On to access the STK feature, changing mode and turning transmitter Off and then On again.
It is recommended to send transmitter to the Futaba Service Center
to change switch operation.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:28 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,156 Posts
Did you check to see what stick mode the radio is in st present?
That part about sending the radio in to the service center is for making the mechanical changes required, namely moving the centering springs and arm and throttle tension spring, though most do it themselves.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:10 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,562 Posts
At work right now...will check it when I get home. Thanks for tip.

Here is YouTube video for going into Stick Mode:

Futaba mode config 1.mp4 (1 min 27 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:29 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,382 Posts
Is this setup in Heli or Acro mode? There is no stick mode that puts the rudder on the vertical axis of a stick. It sounds like you have somehow put Revo mix into the program.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:34 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,562 Posts
Yes it does but until now I have never programmed any mix in the 7C. This is my first Futaba and was a Spektrum convert.

I checked stick mode and I'm in Mode 2.

I have emailed Futaba support but no answers yet. I would think that performing a model reset, and yes, on the airplane ACRO mode would take care of any lingering bad mixes (if mistakenly entered previously somehow) but no.

With the mix that I have programmed in now...25% right Rudder with Throttle...it doesn't move a millimeter.

Ghostly!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:14 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,562 Posts
Futaba Update

Futaba Service Center Update:

Called Futaba today about 7C that I sent them last week. I ordered warranty work with "expedited return". That means $40 to guarantee that it goes out of their door within 48 hours of receiving it. True enough, I called them today and they said that it would be at my door this Thursday.

They replaced the Rudder/Throttle "pot" and updated software. I think it was defective from the start but I never noticed it 'cos I don't normally look for rudder movement when I throttle up. Only caught it when I unplugged 2 of 3 motor wires to ESC to check afterburner lights on Panther. It sends through the signal without running the fan and then saw rudder move when lights came on.

It sure accounts for strange movement of plane when powering up and down with all my models. It would be me who got their first Futaba (Had been a Spektrum guy) and got a glitch among millions of bug free units. They sure were good about it all though. I think I'll stick with Futaba.

Russ
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread