Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:23 AM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Discussion
New LiPo Query

I've always charged batts that come with RTF kits before the maiden flight. I've assumed that's because they arrive at only a storage level charge. I'm still without voltage meter so unable to verify this for myself. Am I correct in charging prior to maiden flight? Does it matter? Do all betteries arrive at the same charge?

Thanks for your patience, I rarely venture to 'Batteries & Chargers', kinda like going to a far away land for me.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:27 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,120 Posts
The supplied charger will shut off when the battery is charged so if you don't know if the battery is charged when it comes out of the box just charge it, if it takes 2 min. to charge then you know it was charged in the box...or it's bad. Not going to hurt it to top it off but it would hurt it to over discharge it if you think it was fully charged and it wasn't.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Thanks, and my new QR Ladybird thanks you as well I'm sure.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,551 Posts
BD,

You are going to be back here a lot. You can do yourself a big favor by reading this:
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

Lots of good information there.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:29 PM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
When I doubt, always charge first.

Here is another reason. SOME esc's determine low voltage cutoff by actual voltage....that is good. SOME (in particular older esc's) determine low voltage cutoff by a PERCENTAGE of the starting voltage....that CAN be a bad thing. In this case, your motor could shutdown AFTER your lipo has been damaged by dropping too low in voltage (less than about 3 volts per cell).

Shutting down by a percentage of starting voltage isn't all that bad IF you start with a fully charged battery.

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:11 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,185 Posts
New lipos ALWAYS come depleted at approximately 3.85 volts/cell...essentially empty. Always charge before using.

mw (answering the question)
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Thanks again guys, I appreciate it.