Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:07 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,222 Posts
Flysky 9x with Open9x and FrSky DIY 2.4Ghz telemetry (integrated with transmitter for on screen results).

I have on board read of several important items I will never fly without again...
1) On-board pack voltage - I don't know how many times I landed to plug in a voltmeter just to make sure.
2) RSSI (Received signal strength - no more guessing about "am I in range" - with this - you KNOW
3) Altimeter (well not essential but darn fun for glider of any kind) on one bigger E-glider

Having this information on the screen is great (but generally use a buddy to read).

I also have my transmitter programmed to automatically enact dual rate when motor is on to reduce rudder/elevator sensitivity due to prop-wash. Having a safety switch (disable motor output) I also consider essential (I use gear switch).

The only thing I would like is another slider instead of the pots and I do wish the gimbals were "better". Other than that - nice.

I use the 3 position switch for spoilers (with mixing)

Scott
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Sep 2009
363 Posts
Still use two Multiplex 3030's in my book as good as any thing else and had 100 model memories years ago. One on 35 the other on 2.4. Oh yes had them for ove 16 years now.
Essex BOF is offline Find More Posts by Essex BOF
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:33 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,545 Posts
XP9303.
Does everything you need for sailplanes (electric or regular).
Cheap used now, and you can put a FrSky module in for 2.4
Heli version has the switches in the position I like.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:40 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post
Flysky 9x with Open9x and FrSky DIY 2.4Ghz telemetry (integrated with transmitter for on screen results).

I have on board read of several important items I will never fly without again...
1) On-board pack voltage - I don't know how many times I landed to plug in a voltmeter just to make sure.
2) RSSI (Received signal strength - no more guessing about "am I in range" - with this - you KNOW
3) Altimeter (well not essential but darn fun for glider of any kind) on one bigger E-glider

I see so many people on these boards mention Flysky9x/Turnigy/etc, I think I'm going to have to start checking them out.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,431 Posts
I really don't think that a newer flier can go wrong with the Turnigy/Flysky/Eurgle. It provides an entry to the world of programmable radios at a fraction of the cost. And, if you are up to changing the software and, perhaps, adding in a more powerful module, it can surpass the capability of radios that cost many-hundreds of dollars. Personally, I have yet to find a compelling reason to either upgrade or replace it especially since extra receivers are only 8-9 dollars.

I've been flying a lot since March and have not had a single glitch. I tested the range to approximately a mile without a single glitch. And it has all the functions I really need although it did take a little head scratching to figure out some of the functions. The only real failing is in warranty, instructions, and product support but there are plenty of sources for info about setting it up.

A friend of mine also bought one so I have inspected the inside of two transmitters and have found the workmanship to be good. However, I have seen a few reports of bad solder joints. Once again, Chinese quality control leaves something to be desired but the two I've seen are solidly built. If I dropped mine in front of a bus tonight? I would order another without hesitation. In fact, in the 42 years I've been flying RC, I would say it's the single best deal I've ever purchased with the possible exception of an old Super Tigre .45 I bought for half price at a going out of business sale. That engine went through tens of gallons of fuel, five planes, and didn't miss a beat until I mashed it into a parking lot and broke the case. A full functioned, multi-channel, radio for under $75.00 is bordering on miraculous.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:43 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
I see so many people on these boards mention Flysky9x/Turnigy/etc, I think I'm going to have to start checking them out.
Typically $100 delivered and they are sold under different names (FlySky is the actual maker but it is sold as Turnigy, others)...

But you need to throw away the battery box that comes with it and verify that all wires are properly soldered to and secured on the gimbal potentiometers....
All other board wiring and connectors are automatically done by high tech manufacturing equipment but these wires seem to be hand done....

Scott
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,431 Posts
I didn't have any issues with the stock battery box, Scott. I was even pleasantly surprised at how long the AA cells lasted. But? I now have a 2200mah LiPo that is good for at least ten hours of flying but I had to grind away some plastic and make my own, taped on, cover. I will, eventually, get a LiFe battery that actually fits but that more so that I can keep dirt out with the stock cover than any other issues.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,545 Posts
The problem with the stock battery box is the cheap wire and the spring loaded contacts.
I use an 8cell Eneloop pack in my 9x. Not cheap, but high quality. And it also fits in my 9303 as well.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined May 2010
1,604 Posts
Look my radio talks

You can hear Time and Telemetry Sensors data. Monday we going to make new video using two cameras with details of the screen.

Zb/Esprit Model

Jetil Duplex Synthesized Voice "Time & Telemetry".mp4 (12 min 6 sec)
Esprit Model is offline Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16,545 Posts
I have to ask - does Jeti have their FCC numbers now?
I only ask because IIRC they sold for a while without them till they got busted by a competitor.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:20 PM
Nashville, TN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
I have to ask - does Jeti have their FCC numbers now?
I only ask because IIRC they sold for a while without them till they got busted by a competitor.
Esprit web site lists them "coming December 1".
"Note: We are expecting to finish FCC certification by the end of the October, 2012 (Pending FCC Certification)"
I had a Profi 3030...one of these may be on the wish list...If Multiplex never gets certified.
Bill R
raineswn is offline Find More Posts by raineswn
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,400 Posts
Zb
I would love one of those Jeti radios, but a little expensive for my taste. I would like the onboard telemetry with vario audio for my Pulsar 3.2 to tell me when "it's climbing"

But for now , I have a Futaba 8FG. I bought this, on the Tower Hobbies "easy pay plan" for my second 2.4 radio when I realized my Dx-7 just didn't have any sailplane software. I tied myself in knots trying to program a four servo wing on my Bullet warmliner, with the Dx-7. Plus I had to install a remote Rx in the rudder.

Now, with the Futaba FASST, system I just have a single receiver to instal, no more endless remotes to worry about. A good, 7 channel FASST receiver like the R617FS is only $80 on sale , with two extended antenna wires to exit a CF fuselage. My Pulsar has carried this receiver above 3000' AGL, no glitches.

The sailplane programming in the 8FG is great. I like the back-lit screen so much, I installed a backlight kit for my Dx-7 too.
Pictures of some of the "stuff" I fly with my 8FG
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Oct 15, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,400 Posts
Hoosier Guy wrote
Quote:
I really like my DX6i and it's a great beginners radio. I'm very close to deciding on upgrading to a DX8 because I want telemetry now and also lighted screen.
here is a link to install a backlight kit into a Dx-6i or Dx-7 radio. This is the kit I put in my DX-7 radio.
http://www.aprohobbies.com/spektrum-...ght-p-146.html

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Dx-8 has any dedicated Sailplane programming. Look at the specs, first.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:59 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,319 Posts
Multiplex Evo
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:27 AM
Hallo von Dresden
Joined Sep 2012
55 Posts
Probably an unknown to most but I use a Becker S800mc. 8 channels all of them proportional, 4 on the sticks the rest on sliders. Old school but reliable as an anvil and easy to use. No telemetry or such toys but I never could see a use for that. Even extended thermal flights have never caused me to totally empty a battery.

Jens
Segelflieger is offline Find More Posts by Segelflieger