HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2004
218 Posts
Discussion
HELP!! Motor comes on when trans goes off!

I can't seem to figure out what is going on. I am using the A9, with a Phoenix 125 CC ESC. I have disabled the red-wire to the ESC since I'm using a lipo pack to drive the servos and a 4 cell pack for the motor.

Yesterday, I happened to have turned off my transmitter first and immediately the motor started full blast. Luckily I was using a small set of props.

I removed the receiver and made sure that I had the most up to date software in Tried it once more and the same thing happened. I even connected ma brand new Phoenix ICE 100 and the same things happened. The only time this did not occur was when I connected an Astro-Flight 020 geared motor (with its own ESC), and connected it in the same manner I connected the Phoenix controllers, and no motor start up when the transmitter is turned off first.

Now, I know that the proper method is to always turn off the rec first , then the trans, but what is happening with this could spell disaster in the event of an inadvertent trasnsmitter shut off.

By the way, this does not happened with my other Optima's in my other planes.

Is it the receiver??

thx
Kholder116 is offline Find More Posts by Kholder116
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholder116 View Post
I can't seem to figure out what is going on. I am using the A9, with a Phoenix 125 CC ESC. I have disabled the red-wire to the ESC since I'm using a lipo pack to drive the servos and a 4 cell pack for the motor. Yesterday, I happened to have turned off my transmitter first and immediately the motor started full blast. Luckily I was using a small set of props. I removed the receiver and made sure that I had the most up to date software in Tried it once more and the same thing happened. I even connected ma brand new Phoenix ICE 100 and the same things happened. The only time this did not occur was when I connected an Astro-Flight 020 geared motor (with its own ESC), and connected it in the same manner I connected the Phoenix controllers, and no motor start up when the transmitter is turned off first. Now, I know that the proper method is to always turn off the rec first , then the trans, but what is happening with this could spell disaster in the event of an inadvertent trasnsmitter shut off.
By the way, this does not happened with my other Optima's in my other planes. Is it the receiver?? thx
Phoenix-125 Brushless Motor Control
"ĽAuto shut-down when signal is lost"

As ESC has auto shut of, then the problem must remain with the the manner in which you
have set the Failsafe on that model, i.e. failsafe is set to maximum throttle rather than minimum.

refer Castle's instructions as above and failsafe settings under:
Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

and even though you did mention it, for the benefit of others, irrespective of Tx brand and model:
Aurora 9 - Transmitter On First - Off Last prevent failsafe and other errors.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Dec 2004
218 Posts
thank you very much, I never thought about the fail-safe issue.....

I will look into it.... For the record.. .I LOVE THIS RADIO!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:56 AM
Joined Dec 2004
218 Posts
It was the fail safe. I must have altered it when I upgraded the firmware. Thanks again
RCG Plus Member