Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:28 PM
Member #1
Teamsherman's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,783 Posts
Hey folks,

Just having a bit of grief getting my quad to yaw properly. Every time i yaw either way, once i release the yaw stick my quaqd blips with power and bounces up about a foot high. Sometimes when using the yaw control the quad climbs too.

I have tried little gain, and ive tried lots of gain and tried a few numbers in the middle and i just cant tune it to yaw nice and smooth.

Any tips i should try?
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:33 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2009
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdelarme View Post
Will now be offereing the shielding to the NAZA GPS protector for a total cost of $15.00 shipped. I will shield it, you will need to supply the 22 awg +- to connect it to the aircraft ground

No soldering on the gps protector at all the sheilding is conductive on both sides I will also ship with extra piece of copper tape to make the connection to the shielding


Please excuse the meter it won't go to total 0 since the leads are about 10 years old but this is connected to the drain/ground wire and touching the meter to any part of the shielding
Good idea, but you are not creating a simple electrical ground, it's an RF ground that's way better off with a thin strip of flat copper. It needs to be a solid BOND, not just electrically grounded as reported by an ohm meter with a 22meg-ohm impedance. (and at RF that little wire could easily radiate parasitically. Take a piece of 14ga THHN and hammer it into a copper grounding strip. Either way I like the copper cup.
SCVJeff is online now Find More Posts by SCVJeff
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:05 AM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
EarthOrbiter's Avatar
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Yaw twisting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Hey folks,

Just having a bit of grief getting my quad to yaw properly. Every time i yaw either way, once i release the yaw stick my quaqd blips with power and bounces up about a foot high. Sometimes when using the yaw control the quad climbs too.

I have tried little gain, and ive tried lots of gain and tried a few numbers in the middle and i just cant tune it to yaw nice and smooth.

Any tips i should try?
I just move the yaw to the center slower. Sometimes I forget, let go, and it jumps. What is going on is the rotary motion of the counter direction of the propellers give it the yaw movement ability with a given rpm.
"Yaw is induced by mismatching the balance in aerodynamic torques (i.e., by offsetting the cumulative thrust commands between the counter-rotating blade pairs). " From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrotor.
This is a characteristic.
It would be nice to have a time dampening of the PPM signal that would be adjustable and make it smoother.
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:12 AM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
EarthOrbiter's Avatar
Central California USA
Joined Feb 2011
379 Posts
Anti Vibrating

Does anyone have any experience using Alpha gel or Sorbothane mounts to lessen vibration transfer to a camera? A little research regarding such mounts along with balancing props is the way to go. Alpha gel is expensive.
EarthOrbiter is offline Find More Posts by EarthOrbiter
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:25 AM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,496 Posts
Mike_Then...

I'm glad that things have improved.
You are taking the approach that will yield success.
As a technical person, you know that a technical hobby can't escape being technical...
Damn, I sound like Yogi Berra!
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: "In Stock"
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:31 AM
Registered User
United States, WV, Harrison
Joined Jul 2012
302 Posts
That sounds like a great idea. Like I said I am not supplying the ground wire. the picture was more of a proof of concept. I was actually looking for a piece of braided flat copper but I haven't been able to find a small piece (low weight)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Good idea, but you are not creating a simple electrical ground, it's an RF ground that's way better off with a thin strip of flat copper. It needs to be a solid BOND, not just electrically grounded as reported by an ohm meter with a 22meg-ohm impedance. (and at RF that little wire could easily radiate parasitically. Take a piece of 14ga THHN and hammer it into a copper grounding strip. Either way I like the copper cup.
wdelarme is offline Find More Posts by wdelarme
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:49 AM
Registered User
Bill Glover's Avatar
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdelarme View Post
I was actually looking for a piece of braided flat copper but I haven't been able to find a small piece (low weight)
De-soldering braid?
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:53 AM
Registered User
u2builder's Avatar
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Where does the ground attach to the airframe, ie. what is "ground" on the airframe? Thanks.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:00 AM
KK4NOP
Mike Freas's Avatar
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Where does the ground attach to the airframe, ie. what is "ground" on the airframe? Thanks.
The ground for the airframe is right next to the positive.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:26 AM
Registered User
United States, WV, Harrison
Joined Jul 2012
302 Posts
Looked at that too. The best way to run the ground from shielding I have found is to run a strip of copper shielding to the outside of the guard. ..then run it down the stand...I'm not sure the best way to connect it to the aircraft. I imagine each aircraft would be different. for example my quad is made of wood. I may have more of a run than say a user with a metal frame.

Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
De-soldering braid?
wdelarme is offline Find More Posts by wdelarme
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:27 AM
Just a yard bird
kd4wen's Avatar
Las Vegas Nv.
Joined Mar 2007
1,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
The ground for the airframe is right next to the positive.
This would be considered the electronics ground in most cases due to most multi rotor airframes do not consist of an airframe ground. I guess if you had a pure all carbond fiber frame you could tap the electronics ground onto it some where.
kd4wen is offline Find More Posts by kd4wen
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:33 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Mike_Then's Avatar
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthOrbiter View Post
Does anyone have any experience using Alpha gel or Sorbothane mounts to lessen vibration transfer to a camera? A little research regarding such mounts along with balancing props is the way to go. Alpha gel is expensive.
Some have used Moon Gel with good success. I tried it and didn't have much luck but admittedly, I only tried it once. I've had much better luck using foam earplugs. That's what I plan to use for mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I'm glad that things have improved.
You are taking the approach that will yield success.
As a technical person, you know that a technical hobby can't escape being technical...
Damn, I sound like Yogi Berra!
Yup, just have to remember it takes patience... something that can be in short supply with me sometimes. The weather is beautiful today so I'm definitely going to try to fly it again.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:46 AM
Registered User
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Aug 2012
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthOrbiter View Post
Does anyone have any experience using Alpha gel or Sorbothane mounts to lessen vibration transfer to a camera? A little research regarding such mounts along with balancing props is the way to go. Alpha gel is expensive.
I've picked up some .50 sorbothane (at amazon), recently. Didn't have time to test it properly yet but run some motor tests using the iphone vibration app. Looks promising. On average, it reduces motor vibes by 50%. The overall frame vibration measured at the center of the F550 top plate showed a 40% reduction. I hope to test it in flight today, late evening.
jamac is offline Find More Posts by jamac
Last edited by jamac; Oct 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
Just a yard bird
kd4wen's Avatar
Las Vegas Nv.
Joined Mar 2007
1,826 Posts
Check out the new behemoth from Dex's frame line up Look out S800 lol
kd4wen is offline Find More Posts by kd4wen
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:26 AM
Living in the south of France
paulinfrance's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4wen View Post
Check out the new behemoth from Dex's frame line up Look out S800 lol
It looks like a Klingon warship,,,
paulinfrance is offline Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product GAUI 500x/ GU-INS GPS Owners Thread - Tips, Problems And Experiences sap_2000 Multirotor Talk 220 Jul 01, 2014 09:58 PM
Discussion HoverFly Owners Thread: Pro, GPS, Sport, Gimbal and news Adidas4275 Multirotor Talk 195 Sep 06, 2012 04:45 PM
Found DJI NAZA GPS Upgrade Module for the DJI Naza Flight Controller skyhulk Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 10 Jul 20, 2012 08:47 PM
Question Question for Spektrum DX8/HF GPS owners Wayno Complaino Hoverfly Technologies 13 Jan 01, 2012 01:18 PM
Discussion Gps owner videos jginsandiego Hoverfly Technologies 0 Oct 04, 2011 05:01 PM