Suspended Account
Bucharest, ROMANIA
Joined Mar 2010
835 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum Dx7: the "backup error", the "stuck memory" error and Dsmx upgrade

EDIT: this topic is now about two different issues:

1. the "backup error" and the stuck memory model suffered by the Dx7 radio

2. The cost of the Dsmx upgrade and details about what this upgrade involves.

I will ask a moderator to change the title accordingly.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMDX7UPG

Dear Horizon Hobby, web also paid top dollar for the Dx7, so treating us like second-hand customers isn't exactly cool.

We can understand that upgrading the Dx8's firmware cand be safelly performed by the user, while doing the same for the Dx7 requires entering the service menu. So it's obvious that you don't want to open a can of worms.

But why do you charge 75$ (plus shipping) for a firmware upgrade, instead of offering it for free to users willing to pay shipping? I like my Dx7, I have no need to upgrade to a Dx8 at the moment and I don't think you should treat your customers like this.
Gerula is offline Find More Posts by Gerula
Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Mar 15, 2011 at 02:50 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:17 AM
Bowling Green,Ky
Joined Sep 2004
311 Posts
The DX8 was built with the X. All it needed was a software update to activate it. The 7 needs both the software and hardware to go X. My 11X has to go in too. Dennis
Dadstoysbg is offline Find More Posts by Dadstoysbg
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:01 AM
Suspended Account
Bucharest, ROMANIA
Joined Mar 2010
835 Posts
The Dx7 is user upgradable as well.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:52 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,156 Posts
No, the DX7 has no provision for the user to upgrade the software.
For the DX7 to be converted to DSMX, the entire RF module must be replaced, that's what the $75 charge covers.
The DX8 was designed at the time DSMX was in the works, so only a software update was necessary to enable DSMX, which can be done by the user, via the SD card.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:13 AM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
I don't think Spektrum (Horizon Hobby) is doing anything wrong here. It's like buying a new computer. You either wait for the new OS to come out, or take the risk of being left behind and paying for OS upgrade fees. It's up to the end user to decide what they want.
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
The "computer/SD card " upgrade will become even more common-for ALL of our radio equip. And it will likely leave many owners of year old equipment wondering WTH is going on.
if you look at cell phones etc., you will note that new technology is proceeding very quickly.
For example - the four rotor PARROT flying platform is guided using a cell phone held in the hand and simply tilted for control changes
Ever seen a WII game?
pay attention -this IS the future.
Five years ago a new radio system was Stone Age compared to current stuff - Now watch what happens to the non upgradable equipment
Sorry -but thems the breaks .
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:56 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerula View Post
The Dx7 is user upgradable as well.
Please explain. I don't see anything obvious like an SD slot or USB connector. Have you updated your firmware?

Edit:

Since this thread has been going on for about a month and since the Original Poster (OP) went back and edited the thread title and the original post, and since the OP goes to other threads and links to this one, I thought I would add a summary here for anyone just starting to read this.

Executive summary: There's not much here.

Longer summary:

The Original Poster (OP) had a problem with his DX7 and had to send it in for service. Like most service trips, the customer pays for postage in, and the company pays for postage back out to the customer. The OP's postage was rather high due to the combined effects of choosing Express Mail (EMS) service and the fact that he purchased the radio from outside of his country. As is typically the case, when you buy a product from another country, bypassing your country's distribution and retail channels, you often have no choice but to return it internationally. (Sometimes a local dealer will help you out anyway if you are a very good customer though this is certainly not to be expected.) The problem was fixed and the radio was returned.

Later the OP found a thread about a hidden service in the DX7 and inferred/assumed that it was possible to upload firmware via this menu and a connection from the trainer port to a USB port on a PC. Further, he inferred/assumed that reflashing his firmware was all he needed to fix the problem for which he sent in his DX7. Further he inferred/assumed that it was also possible to update a DX7 from DSM2 to DSMX in this way. Based on this, he claimed that Horizon should allow users to do this so they didn't have to ship their radios in for one or both issues. (certain repairs and/or DSMX upgrades.) To date, none of these inferences/assumptions have been tested.

The bulk of the thread consists of assumptions, inferences, statements taken out of context and the OP quoting statements and then interpreting them completely differently from others in the thread. Furthermore, the OP also assumed that he would get "top of the line" service (as defined by him) due to his assumption that the DX7 was Horizon's top of the line product. In fact, Horizon's top of the line transmitter is priced at more than 6 times the price of the DX7. (And you may still have to pay shipping one way on that one too.)

In addition, Horizon tried to contact the OP to see if anything (unspecified) could be done. He refused to give any information about himself due to a claimed fear that Horizon might retaliate by giving him worse service in the future due to his posts about them. He later changed this story to be that he wanted Horizon to do something for all customers, thus (coincidentally?) also not requiring him to reveal his identity.

As I type this, the thread now has 723 posts and nothing has changed. You still may need to pay postage one way for a service repair and the DSMX upgrade is still something that needs to be done at a service center for older radios like the DX7. (Apparently in addition to the upgrade work, modified transmitters must be tested for legal compliance.) Feel free to read on or not as you wish.

Edit 2 - 12 days after the first Edit

After another 100 posts since the first edit, the OP "threatened" to buy a Futaba and then carried out his "threat", only to learn after buying it that Futaba radios (and probably others) have precisely the same failure mode also requiring the user to send them in for service. And Futaba's warranty period is much shorter. This is a perfect example of "Look before you leap." Think about that before you buy something different out of spite. At this point, if you are new to this thread, I would only advise reading it for the comedy.
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Last edited by Dave H.; Mar 29, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 01:02 PM
Suspended Account
Bucharest, ROMANIA
Joined Mar 2010
835 Posts
No I haven't. However the Dx7 has a trainer port that allows usb connection, and the service menu has the option to update the firmware.

You can check it out fot yourself if you have a Dx7 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609802

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
1. No, the DX7 has no provision for the user to upgrade the software.
2. For the DX7 to be converted to DSMX, the entire RF module must be replaced, that's what the $75 charge covers.
.................................................. ...
Pete
Pete, since your first affirmation is obviously false (see above), I highly doubt the second one is correct.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 01:36 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,654 Posts
That's a very interesting thread but I didn't see anything about uploading new firmware. Am I missing it or is there another thread?
Dave H. is online now Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 01:42 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,339 Posts
There's no way a user can upgrade a DX7 to supporting DSMX.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:13 PM
Joined Jun 2004
5,156 Posts
Gerula,
You ASSume too much
Pete
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:53 PM
Suspended Account
Bucharest, ROMANIA
Joined Mar 2010
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
There's no way a user can upgrade a DX7 to supporting DSMX.

Andy
Andy, thanks for the reply, but in the service menu of the Dx7, when selecting reprogram and then pressing the clear key it says "Power Off -> Reprogram."

Then, upon powering off, it says "Reprogram PLS. Wait for LCD off"

It's obviously waiting for the firmware to be fed trough the trainer port at that point.

Now, I've already been forced to send one of my Dx7's to the german branch of Horizon due to a nice firmware bug (locked model), so please understand my frustration when I found out that I could have done it myself at home, and save the shipping cost plus the time wasted.

Frustration which only increases when finding out that the Dx7 owners are forced to pay for something that it's gbeing given for free to the Dx8 owners.

Again, it would be a different story if Horizon said "the firmware update is tricky and we cannot end up with thousands of people crying and threatening to lawsuit us, so please send in your radios at your own expense and we are doing the DSMX update for free".

P.S. If a horizon tech can do it, at least some users can do it too. After all this is RC
Old Feb 19, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Jun 2004
5,156 Posts
Actualizarea la DSMX necesită o schimbare hardware
Even the early DX8 units require the radio to be sent in for a hardware change.
Pete
Old Feb 19, 2011, 04:10 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,339 Posts
I explained this once or twice before, but I guess some people won't read the early portion of a thread so here you go:

There are multiple micros in the DX8. Only one of them is accessible to the SD card. The one in the RF deck already was DSMX-capable, but the code was inactive. For a handful of radios, the RF deck code required an update, therefore those radios had to be returned to have DSMX enabled. For the other radios, DSMX was allowed to be active.

The DX7 also has multiple micros. The one in the RF deck was not DSMX-capable, and is not accessible through the trainer port. Therefore it must be returned for the add-on. You could NOT have done it at home.

DX6i is the similar situation.

As for handing the code out, that will happen about as soon as Toyota sends out the code to consumers to update the ABS.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 19, 2011, 05:01 PM
Joined May 2010
78 Posts
I find it very amusing that people are complaining about spending the $75. to upgrade their radio. I could not get a plumber to come and unplug a toilet for less than $120. If you bought your radio after Nov.1 2010, the upgrade is FREE. Spektrum is looking after their customers by making this upgrade available and backwards compatible to existing radios. If you bought a new car in 2007 you can not upgade it to a 2011 for free. Nobody is forcing you to upgrade, they will still work. I have had 2 DX7s since they came out, one at home and one at the cottage and niether has given me any trouble of any kind. They have been rock solid and I have no intention of getting them upgraded as it is not needed for me.
K5054 is offline Find More Posts by K5054