HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
18 Posts
I'm almost done with the assembly!!!!! It was ALOT more challenging than I thought it would be...

So how much would you guys recommend for control throws? The manuals' de-void of this information - which is pretty consistent with everything else it's lacking :P
Pathfynder is offline Find More Posts by Pathfynder
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:49 AM
RC is healthy for your brains!
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Hello everybody! I loved this thread, and I am so impatient to get a red star (no weapons) ARF from Trade4me.
Since I am quite new of the hobby, could I please ask you for a recommended list of items to buy from Hobby King only (it is my only chance to reach for cheaper components, here in Italy the supplies are not so good actually) so to complete the airplane?
I would like to have reliable units but not so advanced technology, aiming to the cheaper side.
I would then like to set un a pan/tilt fpv kit with full osd just like these amazing russians have done:

FPV aerobatic team (5 min 34 sec)

I am planning to feed it with twin 3600 mAh 3s turnigy batteries, do you actually recommend something else? Is it possible at all to fit 5000 mAh units, perhaps reshaping a bit the cavities? Perhaps by buying smaller 1000 mAh units to connect in series, too?
Is there any solution possible or is 3600 the absolute maximum that the plane can fit?
Thank you! It is the ultimate 360 TV beauty
.Superfly. is offline Find More Posts by .Superfly.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:37 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,097 Posts
Hi there,
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Superfly. View Post
Hello everybody! I loved this thread, and I am so impatient to get a red star (no weapons) ARF from Trade4me.
I bought the grey version of Lanxiang MiG29 kit from that distributor. It all went well, so buying from them should be okay.

BUT: Keep in mind that at least the early Red Stars from LX had a terrible paint job. I have one here, it is really sad to look at how badly e.g. the lines of the star are done. You will be very disappointed if you get one of these and people will note it at the flying field. The quality of the grey version is much, much better.

It has to be said that once the Red Star is in the air and reasonably far away, it looks pretty good.

Quote:
Since I am quite new of the hobby, could I please ask you for a recommended list of items to buy from Hobby King only (it is my only chance to reach for cheaper components, here in Italy the supplies are not so good actually) so to complete the airplane?
The thing is that you will end up spending a ton of money. For example, if you go through the bother and work of building the MiG, you will probably want to buy better struts/gears than the stock gear. Also, the TV exhaust nozzles aren't done so well inside (aerodynamically), so you would be better off buying the Freewing nozzles and adapting them to the MiG (it will work, I put Freewing nozzles onto the Lanxiang Su-47). And so on.

My advice would be to buy a better designed kit, for example the Freewing Su-35. You can buy that all stock (fans, escs, motors) and fly it like that, there is no need to upgrade everything. You can even buy it from hobby king, too, for a good price (about 275$ plus tax and shipping). Shops in Europe like Ready2Fly have it for about 350 Euros including tax ARF and for 200 as a kit.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:23 AM
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
Hi there,

My advice would be to buy a better designed kit, for example the Freewing Su-35. You can buy that all stock (fans, escs, motors) and fly it like that, there is no need to upgrade everything. You can even buy it from hobby king, too, for a good price (about 275$ plus tax and shipping). Shops in Europe like Ready2Fly have it for about 350 Euros including tax ARF and for 200 as a kit.

Cheers,
Henrik
Hello Henrik thank you! I enjoyed many of your posts in this thread earlier on, you are a great reference for this project.
The SU-35 is beautiful, and also quite cheap, I agree. But it has got no flaps, and no parachute and no smokes
The parachute is making me feel like a kid again, the smoke seems fun to try at times, and most importantly (without attempting to become a senior aerodynamicist) I really liked the front wing lip and the matched flap.

It was actually the flaps that made me switch towards the mig 29, and I was almost ready to buy it from Banana Hobby before I discovered about the local supplier in Germany.
Would you like to comment on that? Am I freaking out just for silly flaps or would you think that it is a pleasant plus?
I enjoy any kind of comments because I am a very technical guy and able to assemble, program, but I am a total rookie when it comes to flying, and I am good only with the simulator (I started hearing about 2.4 GHz radios 6 months ago, as I only remembered 72 MHz when I was a kid, 20 years ago. But I never owned one).
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:36 AM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,097 Posts
Quote:
The parachute is making me feel like a kid again,
Hehe !

Quote:
the smoke seems fun to try at times,
I thought so, too. I even got my supplier to throw in a few extra smoke bombs. But they smelled like stuff that I wouldn't want to spray in my backyard. So I never used them, I have to admit, I threw them all away unused.

Quote:
and most importantly (without attempting to become a senior aerodynamicist) I really liked the front wing lip and the matched flap. It was actually the flaps that made me switch towards the mig 29,
Same here, because our field is bumpy and has so far eaten every landing gear of every foam warplane and jet I ever had. So I liked the idea of the MiG's flaps and slats, because the promised it could be flown in very, very slowly - which is true.

The big price that you pay for the flaps is that the ailerons are very - in my opinion too - small. You lose a lot of roll authority, even with tailerons and tv nozzles added to the ailerons (which I did). She's a slow mother to turn !

As you wrote that you are a very technical guy: If you build e.g. the Su-35 kit, you will appreciate just how good many of their components are, e.g. the really useful attachment pieces for the elevators. If on the contrary you will see the flimsy sticks upon which the LX MiG elevators are supposed to stay, you will be just wondering how little load they will stand and how bad they are. Some guys in this thread did a lot of mods e.g. just to fix this elevator issue. And then you will still have no wing reinforcements in the MiG, no cheater holes, a terrible battery compartment, too weak pushrods for the elevators, the gears and and.

Cheers,
Henrik

PS: If you are in Munich by chance, you can inspect the Red Star and the Su-35, I have both here side by side.
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:06 PM
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Thank you Henrik! I wish I could come to visit, but I am in Italy... it sounds like you have a great collection, I would love to have those planes too
The SU-35 is very interesting, and I can even bolt the wings on and off while travelling with my small car.
But, there are no slats (let alone the parachute) and even the landing gears are not hidden, there is only the nose doors
I am not a veteran but please, give me guidance: is it really difficult to improve the quality of the mig 29 with a bit of handy work here and there? Perhaps make 2 removable hatches with magnetic buttons, improve the hinges for the wings, plan to have the wings bolted...
I am very willing to get guidances on how to improve the unit!
Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:28 PM
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Improvising for the ailerons

Thinking about the wing, I have prepared a picture.

In yellow I have circled available bodies that in principle could still be cut away from the flaps or fixed wing strut, and glued right onto the edge of the ailerons, so to prolong their width. I think I can say this because I think that I have spotted where the hinges are inserted, meaning that we have those 3 extra cm give or take to fiddle with.
In addition, at least for easier naca profiles, ailerons should be operating at the far edges of the wings only, while the center parts should be reserved for flaps mostly.
Now, I do not have any real life knowledge at all about these design principles, but I am rather persuaded that they would be adequate for this model, too.
What do you think about stretching the witdth of the ailerons so simply with a cutter and glue?
Thank you fror your "tolerance", I might have said something really naive...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:01 PM
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Last rant, last rant I promise, it's just the insomnia that sometimes keeps me up.
Speaking about the SU-35, just for a second.
As it is missing flaps, would you deem feasible to attempt a specific flight mode, operated by a switch on the radio, that levels both ailerons down to a fixed, moderate, 50% downwards arch, while driving the tail as a taileron setup?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Last rant, last rant I promise, it's just the insomnia that sometimes keeps me up.
Speaking about the SU-35, just for a second.
As it is missing flaps, would you deem feasible to attempt a specific flight mode, operated by a switch on the radio, that levels both ailerons down to a fixed, moderate, 50% downwards arch, while driving the tail as a taileron setup?
Yes it is possible to mix a flap function (flaperons) to ailerons. I believe the stock set up has the ailerons hooked together so you would need to seperate them onto different channels. Your setup really would only be limited to the number of channels/mixes that your radio and receiver are capable of.
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:11 AM
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
hooked up twin servos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Yes it is possible to mix a flap function (flaperons) to ailerons. I believe the stock set up has the ailerons hooked together so you would need to seperate them onto different channels. Your setup really would only be limited to the number of channels/mixes that your radio and receiver are capable of.
Hi! I have seen that there is one servo per aileron (as in the little photo I have put above). So this means that they are linked together and driven by one signal only?
How is that done, by fitting a reverse signal unit? And is it splitting the total current delivered for each servo in half?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:07 AM
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Functional details

Quote:
Thinking about the wing, I have prepared a picture.

In addition, at least for easier naca profiles, ailerons should be operating at the far edges of the wings only, while the center parts should be reserved for flaps mostly.
By the way, realistic slats should not really just curl cramped as they do in this model, I completely agree. I am sure that this is a very practical solution performed with a simple servo with a pulling rod.
A slat should extend further from the wing profile and delicately increase the curve of the profile so to develop a different lift intensity and also point of application.
My feeling is that this "lip" is more acting like a numb, vertical wall. An air-brake behaviour, still much better than giving 25% extra throttle if aiming at reducing speed
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:54 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Hi! I have seen that there is one servo per aileron (as in the little photo I have put above). So this means that they are linked together and driven by one signal only?
How is that done, by fitting a reverse signal unit? And is it splitting the total current delivered for each servo in half?
It can be done with a servo reversing device but manufacturers ususlly use a reverse operating servo.
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:06 AM
Bond, Hotglue Bond
Joined Apr 2006
4,054 Posts
Easy on the caffeine Superfly!!
Tartago is online now Find More Posts by Tartago
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
Italy, Lombardy, Milan
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
I wish it was really just the coffee
Gentlemen, can I please shoot a question just like that?
I noticed that the freewing su-35 allows for wings and rudders to be dismantled easily.
Would any of you, please, give me a comment and also possibly a temptative guide on how to make the mig-29 with at least the wings detacheable?
I am pretty sure that it is doable, and I just need some initial "support" or suggestions. Carbon rods, simple micro drilling, stuff like that. I believe that it will be more time consuming than expensive, and so I will be able to fit it in the passenger seat of my bmw z4
Thanks, expecially if you can bear with my lunatic queries!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:18 AM
Bond, Hotglue Bond
Joined Apr 2006
4,054 Posts
I think I saw somebody on this thread doing the wings detachable . Check the attachments.
Tartago is online now Find More Posts by Tartago
RCG Plus Member