HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2010, 03:59 AM
ET
United States, DE, Hockessin
Joined Apr 2006
661 Posts
What am I doing wrong?

My Alula is soooo pitch sensitive I can hardly fly it. It's balanced right on the indentations and I have my elevator dialed back so I barely get 1/16th inch travel up and down. It's a tad heavy, just shy of 6 ounces.

I'm not the greatest RC pilot but I think I should be able to do better than this. Any ideas??

Thanks, Eric
eteet is offline Find More Posts by eteet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:29 AM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
987 Posts
i'agree with you....
with the alula, if you know where is the thermal (or if you are lucky ) you can have fun, but it's more a boomerang RC than a real DLG glider!
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:32 AM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eteet View Post
My Alula is soooo pitch sensitive I can hardly fly it. It's balanced right on the indentations and I have my elevator dialed back so I barely get 1/16th inch travel up and down. It's a tad heavy, just shy of 6 ounces.

I'm not the greatest RC pilot but I think I should be able to do better than this. Any ideas??

Thanks, Eric
what is your throw for the pitch?
it can be normal to find it very sensitive, reducing elevador throw (but not ailerons) and adding expo make your plane perfect!
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:34 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
Check very well the CG, second thign all planks are pitch sensitive, third the bes thing to do is to reduce you elevator throws, for most manuver you will only need coupple of milimiters up or down, If you have tooo much throw then your alula will be very anoying to fly.

EZ
Edwinzea is online now Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:10 AM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Hi all. I'm really pleased with my Alula having built it while visiting the US. My friend and I tried levy-soaring very successfully and ended-up making the local paper:

http://photos.yumasun.com/date/2010-...21114110_NAH2m
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:57 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomcevac View Post
Hi all. I'm really pleased with my Alula having built it while visiting the US. My friend and I tried levy-soaring very successfully and ended-up making the local paper:

http://photos.yumasun.com/date/2010-...21114110_NAH2m

They look great.

Congratulations on already becoming local celebrities as well. Next thing you know you will have paparazzi following you around and Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian will want to party with you.

Mark
mdennis is offline Find More Posts by mdennis
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:45 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,916 Posts
E-lula Electrified Alula Video

I've just posted a video of my E-lula launches and flights taken by my friend Paul Willenborg at the SMALL 2010 flying meet ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1144911 ) in Arkansas in June.

The video is posted in the Sailplane Videos Gallery here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1274230

My posts about the E-lula start in post #957 here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=957

When this plane falls out of a thermal, I move the stick on the left and go looking for the next one.

Have fun,

Richard
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:09 PM
Denmark, Rodovre
Joined Nov 2004
147 Posts
4 servos !

I tried something different with my Alula.

I have the old Alula, weighing only 130 grams, so I didn't need a new light SAL-plank. But I couldn't resist trying the new one with 4 servos. It will be heavier, but with much better handling ?

It got heavier, partly because I wasn't focused on the weight. 230 grams actually, 100 grams heavier than the old version !

I used 4 C-261 servos, which are high quality, low slop, low power consuming servos. They run very smoothly and with the low slop you got much more precise handling. Reciever is a Schulze 835 with aerial buried into the wing.

The outer parts of the ailerons are - ailerons. The inner parts are elevators. I have mixed the elevators to follow the ailerons by approx 50%. The aileron function runs much more smooth then. I also have crow brakes at my disposal. Nice to have on a heavy model.

How does it fly ? I can't launch it so high as the lighter one. But it handles really well. Not flimsy at all, and it is not so touchy on the elevator. Doesn't tipstall, even it is heavy. Really calm flying, and is able to hang on a small slope in 2-3 m/s.

It feels like a much bigger plane to fly, partly because of the weight that makes it go in a very constant speed, but also because of the very smooth handling.

I will use this one on small slopes and for small time DS
pentium is offline Find More Posts by pentium
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:24 PM
The Real J
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,817 Posts
Nice
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:16 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Very interesting Pentium. Nice clean install. I'm glad to hear it came off the bench with positive results.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:44 PM
The Gorge - Oregon USofA
Joined Sep 2006
153 Posts
Halle-Alula

Yes!.....I did it! Maidened my new Alula. First plane, first flight. (Vapor doesn't count).

Thank you Shawn (Trees) for your encouragement, prodding and skills.

It was windy, but didn't break anything. Can't wait to go again.
Twisted Sheets is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Sheets
Old Jul 29, 2010, 07:49 PM
The Gorge - Oregon USofA
Joined Sep 2006
153 Posts
Pictures to Prove It

Sorry, too excited to get them attached to prior post.
Twisted Sheets is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Sheets
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:25 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
No problem Ed. You did a great job flying for someone who has practically never flown and has never flown an aileron plane. You're either a natural or you absorbed a lot of what that simulator sent to your brain. The grin on your face was payoff. The seed is planted. You'll be on the slope before you know it.

Details on Ed's Alula: AR6110, stock battery, HS-45HB servos, tape stripes, taped on wings, one layer of thinned goop on the LE, switch/charge jack, painted belly and a couple of lead "coins" in the nose slots bring the AUW to 6.2 oz.

P.S. I look confused in that photo.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Aug 01, 2010, 11:17 AM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
Congrats Ed on your maiden! I was able to maiden mine yesterday and I know my smile was at least as big as yours.
Here's a couple of pictures of my bare Alula. I ca'd a piece of .020" cf rod on my leading edges for some protection. Weight added was minimumal at .008 grams/inch. I have installed a 2.5mm audio jack/switch through which I measure the lipo voltage and charge. Also, I noticed my Alula turning left at launch alot so, I balanced out the "Grip tape" on the left wing with a small washer on the right. Can't wait to get out and hunt for those elusive thermals.

Spec's:
AUW 166.9 gms (5.887 oz.)
Two Dymond D47 servos
Electrifly BP 300mA - 20C - 7.4v lipo
Electrifly C10 esc (Used as a voltage regulator - although I don't need it - nose weight)
XPS Nano-T 6 channel 2.4GHz Rx at 3.1 gms
Multiplex EVO 7 Tx
MarksRC is offline Find More Posts by MarksRC
Old Aug 01, 2010, 11:45 AM
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Apr 2008
572 Posts
Mark,
Your cf rod on the leading edge should be great for impact resistance, but I wonder if it will affect stall characteristics. I thought the smooth flow over the leading edge as the angle of attack changes is critical for stall resistance. It'll be interesting to hear of the flight results. Please let us know.
--Rocky
rockyabq is offline Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member