New Products Flash Sale

VAS Banshee - FPV Performance Video Review

The Banshee is the perfect proximity FPV platform. Light and fast, it can shoot gaps and run a race course like a quad. In this video review, Editor Matt Gunn tests out the VAS Banshee's performance and durability!

RCGroups Tests a High Performance FPV Racer

Product:VAS Banshee
Target Weight:1.5 - 2lbs (1.6lbs AUW in review)
Motor used:MicroDAN 2510-2100KV
Prop used:APC 6x5.5
ESC used:Thunderbird 36A
Battery:Turnigy 3s 2650mAh
VTx:RMRC Cricket 5.8GHz 600mw
VTx antenna:VAS - 5.8 GHz Cloverleaf
Rx Antenna:TrueRC X2 Air

The Banshee by Video Aerial Systems is one of those rare FPV planes that's fast, light, agile, and durable. It's perfect for racing and can easily hang with or out-gun similarly-sized flying wings around a pylon race course. It's small enough to shoot gates and rail around feather flags without blowing the turn wide. The Banshee is the ultimate proximity FPV plane. Yes, I agree that's a hefty statement, but after testing the Banshee I'm convinced that there isn't much out there in it's size range that can hang with this little EPP hotrod.

The video below goes into a little detail about what's onboard my Banshee with regards to flight electronics and FPV equipment. I decided not to go into the build because Alex "IBCrazy" Greve does a great job detailing the assembly in his YouTube video (link at the bottom of this article).

Thoughts on Handling and Flight Performance

The Banshee should be built as light as possible if you intend on getting the most out of her. If you load it down with a large battery then expect the performance to suffer. I used a Turnigy Nano-Tech 3s 2650mAh, which fits nicely in the fuselage and actually weighs less than some 2200mAh packs. I honestly consider the MicroDAN 2510 2100KV motor and a 6x5.5 prop to be the best motor/prop combo for this plane on 3S. The MicroDAN is lighter than most similarly-sized motors, and has incredible power for it's size. Additionally, it's amp draw is relatively low at around 25-30 amps at wide open throttle. This combo gives me around 10-12 minutes of flight time with varying throttle.

In the air, the Banshee is quite predictable with no bad tendencies to note. Even at full speed, I could pull back all the way on the elevator and it would not speed stall, but quite literally change directions; this type of control during high-speed turns makes it great for pylon racing or proximity dodging obstacles where reaction time counts! And finally, hand launching and landing couldn't be easier with the Banshee. A quick toss at half throttle sends it skyward, and keeping about a quarter-throttle on landing approach, then reducing to zero as you slow and flare for a gentle touch down just adds to the whole experience of flying the Banshee.

Video Review

VAS Banshee FPV Performance Testing Review - (6 min 45 sec)

Speed Tests

The below video shows my Banshee cutting some hot laps around the local school's football field running track. At full throttle, she's just hitting around 80mph, and you can advance to around the 1:10 minute mark in the video as I open up the throttle. Even racing around this large football field, I barely have time to straighten the wings out on the straightaways. You'll notice I collided pretty hard with the football field goal post. Although the hit destroyed my LiPo, the Banshee fared much better and needed a quick FoamTac repair to the leading edge. It's a very durable airframe!

VAS Banshee High Speed Laps with Hard Crash (5 min 33 sec)

FPV Components

There's a few heavy-hitters in the VTx department; RMRC, GetFPV, ImmersionRC, and SBA all offer great performing units, but I decided to try out the new ReadyMadeRC Cricket in the 600mw version. The 600mw Cricket features an aluminum case for durability and heat dissipation, but doesn't trade that off for increased weight; it's actually quite light. For the antenna, I went with a VAS Cloverleaf, a benchmark in CP antenna design for FPV.

The antenna I used on the receiver arguably offered me the best performance when pared with the VTx and cloverleaf. Im running the TrueRC X2-Air and couldn't be happier with its performance. The X2-Air is a pair of crosshair antennas stacked vertically. It is a high-gain antenna at 13dbi, yet offers a super wide beamwidth at almost 145 degrees.

You can read Jim T. Graham's review of the TrueRC X2 Air here.

The Banshee is currently one of the best choices for low and fast, yank and bank FPV flying. When built light with a suitable power combo such as the one used in this review, the Banshee is capable of 80mph straight and level flight with a decent amp-draw and acceptable flight times as well. And as you saw in the videos above, the Banshee can take some serious hits and keep flying with minimal repairs needed. So far, I've probably collided with trees and other fixed objects at least 10 times, resulting in a few breaks in the foam on the fuselage and leading edge. A quick FoamTac repair and the Banshee is back flying as if it never happened. If you've been wanting to make the change from putting around in the sky to fast and agile proximity flying, take a look at the VAS Banshee.

IBCrazy VAS Build Video

VAS Banshee kit

MicroDAN 2510 2100KV motor

TrueRC X2 Air antenna

RMRC Cricket 5.8GHz 600mw VTx

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Nov 12, 2015 at 03:05 PM..
Old Nov 12, 2015, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by DaaBears
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,677 Posts
I use the VAS Pepperbox on 5.8 with my banshee, pretty much the same antenna, it's amazing. The wide beam and insane distance is ridiculous on 5.8. I absolutely love both the banshee and the pepperbox!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Nov 19, 2015, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2013
1,038 Posts
That plane really moves but you make it look very controllable. What's that called when the wings go forward like that, instead of being swept back like almost every other plane? How does that affect flight?
SirRexAlot is offline Find More Posts by SirRexAlot
Old Nov 19, 2015, 05:07 PM
Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
6,050 Posts
I think it's just called a forward swept wing. It lowers the chance of a tip stall and increases low speed maneuverability.
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
Old Nov 22, 2015, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
11,227 Posts
Matt hit this one on the head. The swept forward wing is something I fell in love with years ago when I learned about the great stall characteristics. It's got its good and bad points.

The good:
Great stall control at low speed
Excellent with high speed maneuvers
Extends tail moment for reactivity

The bad:
Higher drag
Sensitive to CG issues

IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by DaaBears
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,677 Posts
Alex, I can't say enough good things about this plane, your antennas, and VAS as a whole!

Your products are incredible and your customer service goes above and beyond time and time again.

When I bought your chimera, I was one of the ones who had an old GoPro2 that didn't fit the 3 mount you provided. You saw my post about it and asked me for my address on the forums and sent me a free hero 2 mount with no questions asked. When I got the banshee, you had some guys with motor mount issues. You asked for my addresses again and shipped stronger motor mounts with no questions asked.

I'm happy to say, I'm still on my original motor mount, but the thrust angle is way off so I'll be finally swapping out for the stronger motor you mount you sent me.

This plane is so durable, it has handled so many hard crashes with absolutely no damage. I recommend it to any intermediate or advanced pilot who seek speed, maneuverability, and huge fun factor.

If you've ever been on the fence about one of Alex's products, just get it. He puts so much effort into his work and really listens to the customers to keep coming out with products that fit our needs. While his antennas aren't the cheapest on the market, you are getting what you pay for. I use 1.3 and 5.8 setups, both have a pepperbox on the ground, probably the best ground station and last ground station antennas I'll ever need; and both have mad mushrooms or other blue beam antennas on the bird. My range and signal quality is leaps and bounds better than budget antennas, and doesn't even compare to the stuff at hobby king.

Every plane I've gotten from you has had a great build video to go with it, has been strong as hell, fun as hell, and they've all had incredible customer support from you, stone blue, and rmrc. I really appreciate how you are constantly evolving your products. I know how much effort, time, brain power, and money go into your designs, and I feel like I'm getting your products at a steal in comparison. I really hope your business is making a good profit in the end, because you very much deserve it.

I thank you for being the innovator you are, and will continue to purchase from you, Jeremiah, and RMRC. I don't care if hobby king rips off your designs and sells them for half the price. I will always purchase from you guys!

Thanks to you, I keep my wings in the sky, and keep a clear picture on my screen while doing so!

DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears