SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 24, 2005, 09:49 PM
I Always Fly Inverted
United States, NY
Joined Aug 2004
387 Posts
Radio Questions

Hi guys,
I have the Futaba 6XA "disconntinued model" and wanted to know if I could use it to fly a 30 size heli?
I think that I can but want to be sure..

Thanks
Monstermanhbf is offline Find More Posts by Monstermanhbf
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2005, 10:38 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
It will work.. but not as well as other radios would do it.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/notes-6x.html says it has Heli programming, so it would be OK while learning to fly them. However, its not the best choice for future advancement.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old May 24, 2005, 10:55 PM
I Always Fly Inverted
United States, NY
Joined Aug 2004
387 Posts
Hey thanks for the link.. I had to find my manual and I looked on the Futaba site but couldnt find the radio... Duh... Its discontinued!
Thanks again for the reply....
Old May 25, 2005, 06:34 AM
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2002
463 Posts
That radio is not much good for helis, but it will get you in the air. You can learn to hover an do some forward flight, but that's about it. It has no pitch/throttle curves and when your in idle up (inverted) you only have 60% of your throttle.
Charlie06 is offline Find More Posts by Charlie06
Old May 25, 2005, 11:30 AM
I Always Fly Inverted
United States, NY
Joined Aug 2004
387 Posts
Thanks guys,
So what would you recommend then? The 7C or 9C? I have always been a Futaba guy myself and just really like ther radios... But after spending what I think I am going to get into a heli getting a new radio is going to be a limited budget.
Or should I just hunt down a heli on Ebay or the forums and get it used? I've been loooking at the Century Hawk or Hawk Sport and the TT Raptors.... Any input/advice would be great..

Thanks again guys

Chris

"Flying is Everything"
Old May 26, 2005, 02:05 AM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
My opinion is.. since you have it and it will serve the purpose until after you have gotten into forward flight... go ahead and use it.

I can remember my first attempt at helis using a 5 channel radio (modified to have proportional 5th channel instead of a gear switch) with no computer mixing (because no one had it in ANY radio..) and not even servo reverse switches on the TX (had to buy reversed servos to get reverse rotation) and of course a gyro was way out, since anything lighter than 1 lb was too expensive to put in a model. It worked. (and doing anything more than stationary hover was for the experts)

You'll definitely have better stuff than that. The Century Hawk Sport + OS .32 heli engine and the 6XA and any Futaba Gyro adds up to a good STARTER setup.

BTW: DO NOT use Futaba 3003 or 3004 servos in the heli.. use 3001's or better. Check the Futaba site and make sure (assuming you are using Futaba servos due to the Futaba TX) the servos you put in the heli are heli rated. They have good reason NOT to recommend the 3003 and 3004 for helis. (Helis destroy them)
Old May 26, 2005, 08:26 AM
I Always Fly Inverted
United States, NY
Joined Aug 2004
387 Posts
Thanks fhhuber506771
That was the best amount of info I have gotten all week.. I was going to just use the servos I have here which are basically all Futaba standards. I guess you need the faster and more powerful servos in certain areas. I am sure that the heli that I decide on will come will all the correct recomemdations and things. Also the net and forums have more then enough info to keep me busy and help me along the way.
Thanks for your comments and post.

Chris
"Flying is Everything"
Old May 27, 2005, 08:28 PM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Its not the speed and power... its something about the constrution of the 3003/3004 servos.. the glo power helis destroy thier centering pots or make the pots come off the circuit board. (I repaired the one that just broke the pot lead off the board... works fine for a bomb release servo, useless for primary flight controls though.)

A HS-81 has the speed and power required for learning hover with the Hawk. It doesn't have the power for 3D aerobatics though and the tailrotor would overload it in forward flight or if the gyro was causing rapid oscillations. (excess gain setting)

The 3001 is not an expensive servo (about $20 each) and has the exact same listed speed and torque rating as the 3003 (at $10 if you search around a bit) The 3001 is simply a better built servo.

You really do get what you pay for in servos... I was using 3003's with the EMS ball bearing kits. (which gives them a glass-filled nylon case top.. and greatly reduced play at the output shaft) In my Hawk Sport, until I found out that the servos simply can't handle it due to the pot and circuit board construction.

*I* would recommend a ball bearing servo for all controls on a glow power heli (smoother and less slop) The EMS conversion kit (4-pack of them was $15) is a great way to go if you buy the plain bearing servos rated for heil (I think S-148) The kits bring the price back up right to the same as the BB equivilent, but you get the super-strong case top.

The flex in the Futaba standard case (as in the 3003, 3004, 3001... and most others using plastic cases) vs the rigid glass-filled nylon top is VERY noticeable when you get into things requiring precision.
Old May 27, 2005, 09:18 PM
I Always Fly Inverted
United States, NY
Joined Aug 2004
387 Posts
WoW thats a lot to digest! I never thought of all those other aspecs a servo would need to have.. So with all you have said then what would you suggest to get? 5 servos are needed for a heli correct? I plan on using Futaba so if you could throw a list up that would be great.
And tell me what servos to use where.. How about using a tail rotor servo on the boom is that really better or no? I have been reading a lot and am sort of lost now with all the info I have been reading.And I am going to also need to look more into gyro's. A head locking gyro would or is the best to start with correct?
I know all these questions are probualy or have been answered so many times, I have my airplanes down pat, and my cars and trucks too! This a whole entire new world for me. I plan to buy the Hawk Sport kit next month, and maybe the motor, at least get that started then pick up servos, and maybe gyro, then get a new radio. Radio will be last though, shooting for the 9C or 7C. "heli version"

Thanks for all your input and help....

Chris
"Flying is Everything"
Old May 28, 2005, 09:16 AM
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Economy servos for the Hawk... get 3001's. They are adequate for the capabilities of the heli really... It SAYS its a 3D machine, but its not. The upgrades needed for 3D performance cost as much as another heli. I can't justify sticking a more expensive servo in the Hawk.

The tailboom mount of the tail servo gets a couple of bends out of the pushrod run, so it improves precision. each bend adds a place for the rod to flex rather than push/pull. But you won't see the effect on the hawk because of the torque drive wind-up/down effect. when you move up to a 3D machine then you'll want the boom mount.

The main reason to use the Hawk as a starter heli is its inexpensive and reliable. Its also easy to assemble, as even thier kit version has the main mechanics assembly done for you.

When you order it, go ahead and order a crash kit for it and a spare set of the fins and a tail drive torque-rod set. Thats the list of what you'll break in a boom-strike. (and you will have a boom strike while learning...) The total for all of that is about $70. Some of the other .30 size helis will cost you $120 for a boom strike. (or more when you get upgrade blades...)