HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:25 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Dec 2004
18 Posts
Discussion
Liquid Sheeting over Foam Wing Cores??!!!??

I'm building an 86" span Bearcat, it's a fiberglass fuselage with foam core wings.
I really HATE the balsa sheeting, then glass cloth covering process...the time and money mostly.
I saw this Liquid Sheeting stuff. Looks like a really good idea? If I understood the video at the Wow Planes site, I can prime directly over the foam with Latex paint, then apply several coats of Liquid Sheeting, sand off the gloss and finish with my color paint....No expensive balsa sheeting, no glass cloth and resin!!!

I've read thoughts and theories about it, would love to hear if anyone Has anyone built BIG wings using this method????
chilipecker is offline Find More Posts by chilipecker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:38 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,151 Posts
From the specs, looks like it's primarily a sanding sealer type of product ... adds no strength at all.

Looks great for foamies ...

The balsa sheeting on your Bearcat is an integral part of the wing strength ... I would not skimp on the build.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:44 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipecker View Post
I'm building an 86" span Bearcat, it's a fiberglass fuselage with foam core wings.
I really HATE the balsa sheeting, then glass cloth covering process...the time and money mostly.
I saw this Liquid Sheeting stuff. Looks like a really good idea? If I understood the video at the Wow Planes site, I can prime directly over the foam with Latex paint, then apply several coats of Liquid Sheeting, sand off the gloss and finish with my color paint....No expensive balsa sheeting, no glass cloth and resin!!!

I've read thoughts and theories about it, would love to hear if anyone Has anyone built BIG wings using this method????
The Liquid Sheeting is really Styrospray 1000. I have tried it and it worked OK on a HABU 2 foam fuselage, It didn't want to hold to the wings. I eventually stripped it off. It has no inherent strength or grain structure like balsa or fiberglass cloth. I would not advise using it as substitute. Plus, the techniques demonstrated is a learned skill. The Liquid Sheeting / Styrospray 1000 does not flow as evenly as you would think. It requires some TLC to come out smooth.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Feb 03, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:52 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,727 Posts
I used it on some struts for a ziroli stearman. I dont remember what the temperature requirements were but I know it was on the low side when I did it. They mean it, dont do it in a cool garage. The good side was it sanded easily and provided a good painting surface. Like Prof100 says, I wouldnt use it in place of something that requires strength. Maybe small foamies, but then thats not my preference.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:55 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Dec 2004
18 Posts
If something sounds too good to be true....

I contacted the guy at WOW Planes and asked if I could cover the 86" Bearcat wings with his product sans balsa sheeting, and if so how much would I need? He replied "3 to 4 sets".

I sent him another email asking him to confirm I did not need to sheet the wing...NO answer.

I looked around his site and found a 102" sport plane, Liberty I think it was?, I clicked the online manual...saw that in his wing building instructions HE SHEETED HIS WINGS with BALSA!!! Damn, no wonder he didn't reply to my request to confirm.

So basically, this stuff is a paintable liquid finishing surface. I am sure it's good stuff, and has it's use, but so far as a substitute for the tedious, expensive old way to finish large scale foam wings, this was just a WILD GOOSE Chase...so much for advanced technology!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:10 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Nov 2003
554 Posts
You want to try it i have some i will sell you for 10.00 bucks Half the price that wow gets for it. the bottles are 90% full tried it on EPP foam wing didnt stick peeled right off.
warbirdguyn951 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdguyn951
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:23 PM
Shropshire UK
Joined Jan 2008
52 Posts
You could try substituting the balsa with Pro-Skin from Mick Reeves Models http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/~m...ccessories.htm
towards the bottom of the page. Cuts out the mess and is ready to paint. Probably available in the US.
John
sp250 is offline Find More Posts by sp250
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:50 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Dec 2004
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCforithobbies View Post
You want to try it i have some i will sell you for 10.00 bucks Half the price that wow gets for it. the bottles are 90% full tried it on EPP foam wing didnt stick peeled right off.
That's awlful kind of you, but I think I'm over this stuff!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:08 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Dec 2004
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp250 View Post
You could try substituting the balsa with Pro-Skin from Mick Reeves Models http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/~m...ccessories.htm
towards the bottom of the page. Cuts out the mess and is ready to paint. Probably available in the US.
John
I forgot the name for this in the US,(maybe Flite Skin???) but I actually have used some maybe 4-5 yrs ago on a big Corsair wing to cover open areas. Super thin fiberglass sheet... it's awesome, but I think ounce per ounce, Gold is cheaper! Not sure how much Mick sells it for, but I'm sure it would cost around $200-$300 to do my Bearcat wings...

I'm OK working with the balsa sheeting and glass, just though maybe the way we have done this for over 30 some odd years would have been revolutionized by now. So....Looks like I'm going Old School till the bitter end!!!

Thank you, Gentlemen, for the thoughts and advice!
Old May 07, 2013, 01:02 PM
Wing Driver - You buy, we fly
Guam
Joined Nov 2012
139 Posts
For those of you that have NOT used the LS 2 product, it does add strength. It is sensitive to temp & humidity and you MUST follow the instructions. I have used it on 8 planes that have less than 60" wings with standard / reasonable strengthing (wood, carbon spars etc.) including a coupl of 100 mph jets and its great. It may or may not be the same as another product in smaller qty. don't know? But it does what it says.

Would I use it for larger wings or wings with no support...... of course not and if you think it's "liquid reinforcement" then your a fool.

Bottom line..... don't knock till you try it. If you don't want to try and speak from experience then don't talk about it. I wouldn't answer questions from the obvious predisposed either because all things have their place and common sense can't be purchased.

Capt. Thomas
Capt. Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Thomas
Old May 07, 2013, 08:21 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Thomas View Post
For those of you that have NOT used the LS 2 product, it does add strength. It is sensitive to temp & humidity and you MUST follow the instructions. I have used it on 8 planes that have less than 60" wings with standard / reasonable strengthing (wood, carbon spars etc.) including a coupl of 100 mph jets and its great. It may or may not be the same as another product in smaller qty. don't know? But it does what it says.

Would I use it for larger wings or wings with no support...... of course not and if you think it's "liquid reinforcement" then your a fool.

Bottom line..... don't knock till you try it. If you don't want to try and speak from experience then don't talk about it. I wouldn't answer questions from the obvious predisposed either because all things have their place and common sense can't be purchased.

Capt. Thomas
I tried it on a foam Habu 2. It worked OK on the fuselage but required leveling and sanding to get a even finish. The wing didn't like it. Even with added CF reinforcement the LS delaminated when flexed. Sorry, no cigar. Next time I will simply use fiberglass and cloth..
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2013, 02:10 PM
Wing Driver - You buy, we fly
Guam
Joined Nov 2012
139 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that anyone had issues with any product but all I can do is comment on what I have personal experience with. Like I said, it IS very touchy on temp. / humidity, and mixing. If it's not done as required then there will be issues (don't ask how I know this) because short cuts, mixing by eyeball o' meter and the glug method don't work well at all.

Same thing with any chemical mix, I have mixed batches of glass, bondo and CF resin too hot and not hot enough. Admitted, not as touchy / more forgiving but same results. I really don't for sure if this is a repackaged product or not but I do know that my wife took my left over and smeared it on a cheap flower shop foam flower vase, no paint / top coat and put some plastic flowers in it and took it to the cemetary and put it on a friends grave. Been out in the sun for 8 months and the vase has not come apart yet? She always complains the sun eats the foam 4 times faster then the plastic flowers...... it's still there all in one piece with marks all over one side were they hit it with a weed eater but it's not damaged? Delamination is usually a prep or contamination issue with any applied product and I have crashed / road rashed my old belly flopper Corsair for over a year and it hasn't come apart even alittle bit.

Maybe this stuff is not for the casual user but I'll use it again, next week in fact when I do my 100mph Stinger.

Capt. Thomas
Capt. Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Thomas
Last edited by Capt. Thomas; May 12, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old May 12, 2013, 03:08 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Thomas View Post
I'm sorry to hear that anyone had issues with any product but all I can do is comment on what I have personal experience with. Like I said, it IS very touchy on temp. / humidity, and mixing. If it's not done as required then there will be issues (don't ask how I know this) because short cuts, mixing by eyeball o' meter and the glug method don't work well at all.

Same thing with any chemical mix, I have mixed batches of glass, bondo and CF resin too hot and not hot enough. Admitted, not as touchy / more forgiving but same results. I really don't for sure if this is a repackaged product or not but I do know that my wife took my left over and smeared it on a cheap flower shop foam flower vase, no paint / top coat and put some plastic flowers in it and took it to the cemetary and put it on a friends grave. Been out in the sun for 8 months and the vase has not come apart yet? She always complains the sun eats the foam 4 times faster then the plastic flowers...... it's still there all in one piece with marks all over one side were they hit it with a weed eater but it's not damaged? Delamination is usually a prep or contamination issue with any applied product and I have crashed / road rashed my old belly flopper Corsair for over a year and it hasn't come apart even alittle bit.

Maybe this stuff is not for the casual user but I'll use it again, next week in fact when I do my 100mph Stinger.

Capt. Thomas
If you have patience and can stand around in the perfect weather to apply and use it works fine if the liquid sheeting encases the foam. Simply applying to the wing surface without full edge wrap will result in delamination.
RCG Plus Member