HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:47 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,988 Posts
I normally stay out of this type of thread, however....

I get the support the LHS sentiment. But let's say instead of buying a $50 item from a mail order company in a different state, I buy the same item direct from overseas for $10. In both cases the overseas company gets my $10. Yet if I buy direct from overseas, I now have $40 to spend at my local farmer's market, pizza place, movie theater. Now my $40 really stays local. If I have an excess of funds and don't need it for day to day expenses I can invest my $40 and still it remains domestic.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:51 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
I buy local when I can.
I even call them to order say like my 2 radians and my friend has done the same.
My hobby shop can sell it to me for the same price and I just have to pick it up when he calls.
Free shipping but pay sales tax so its a win win for both of us.

So look on line and then call and see what they can do most likley they will sell it for the same price and faster shipping also.
That is an excellent way to do it and that works with my LHS as well. I'm lucky and it looks like you are as well. Some are not unfortunately, and that is why I try to shop at my LHS as much as I can. I want them to stick around and in turn they get to have a job and feed their family.

Looking over the responses, I still have not seen an answer to my original question. With so many choices of online stores available today in the US, why do I need to send my money directly to a foreign country? Just look at all the great online vendors we have right at our fingertips. So I am not sure why some of us send their money overseas when we can do so much more with it staying within our borders.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:19 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,675 Posts
There have been many reasonable and even insightful answers to your original question even if you are choosing to ignore any that don't agree with your personal prejudices.

Since you've now changed the question to "Why do you need to send....." the answer is even simpler. You do not need to do that. You are entitled to waste your hobby money in any way you choose .

BTW just for interest, if you buy from the Hobby King warehouse in your country does that count as buying locally ? If not, why not ?

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Jan 2000
7,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
There have been many reasonable and even insightful answers to your original question even if you are choosing to ignore any that don't agree with your personal prejudices.

Exactly, the original question posed has no right answer.

Since you've now changed the question to "Why do you need to send....." the answer is even simpler. You do not need to do that. You are entitled to waste your hobby money in any way you choose .

+1
BTW just for interest, if you buy from the Hobby King warehouse in your country does that count as buying locally ? If not, why not?
Steve
By the definitions the OP has established it has to be considered local

Azarr
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Jan 2000
7,988 Posts
[QUOTE=Murocflyer;With so many choices of online stores available today in the US, why do I need to send my money directly to a foreign country? Just look at all the great online vendors we have right at our fingertips. So I am not sure why some of us send their money overseas when we can do so much more with it staying within our borders.

Frank[/QUOTE]

Did you even read my response? In the example I posted 20% of my money goes overseas and 80% stays in my neighborhood. If I buy the same item from a mail order place, the same 20% goes overseas and the other 80% goes out of state, certainly not local.

Azarr
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:50 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Even if you buy a US or EU produced product ... most likely it's only assembled there ... parts are brought in from China and other low cost manufacturers .. this gets around Import / Market restrictions, allows Made in USA / EU labels to be applied ....
Nigel,

"Made in USA" is not controlled by the federal gov't. In fact, the state of California has it so restrictive that it's just about impossible to have a product labeled that way and sell it there legally.

"Made in EU" is a joke. As long as you put the last sticker on in the EU, it could be made anywhere and get the EU label on it.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,312 Posts
Here is a perfect example of getting great stuff at a cheap price from local stores. I ordered some banana plug splitters from ProgressiveRC. http://www.progressiverc.com/power-s...splitter2.html

I ordered them on Thursday morning, no lie. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=17

Got the mail today and there they were. And it only cost $2 for shipping. I absolutely could not drive to my LHS for less than that. I guess I could have rode my bicycle, but it would have cost more in bagels and coffee to make it there and back.

Why shop overseas when we have such good places right here in the USA?

Frank
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post

BTW just for interest, if you buy from the Hobby King warehouse in your country does that count as buying locally ? If not, why not ?

Steve
Steve,

No reason to get nasty.

Yes, that would be local for us but not you. But you know, I have heard that urban legend about HK having a store located here in the USA, but I don't believe that. So far I have not seen anything that leads me to believe there is a HK store here. I have been told even when you call for customer service you call overseas.

Frank
Last edited by Murocflyer; Oct 20, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Did you even read my response? In the example I posted 20% of my money goes overseas and 80% stays in my neighborhood. If I buy the same item from a mail order place, the same 20% goes overseas and the other 80% goes out of state, certainly not local.

Azarr
Yes I did, but I don't understand what you are buying for $10 over there what would cost you $50 here? I didn't get that part so I didn't want to argue/debate the point. I just thought it best to let it go to avoid any confrontation.

I really think with "smart shopping" there is no need to purchase anything from an overseas retailer. Well maybe one or two things but not lock, stock and barrel.

Frank
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:16 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,089 Posts
Frank; It is obvious to me that you have more disposable funds than a lot of us do. My wife and I are on a fixed income, and a few pennies put back, but we ARE NOT affluent by any means. We have to split our funds ,(after bills,bills, insurance, taxes) and all of the other things we must pay or have between our various hobbies. Yes we have more than one, and unfortunately , none of them are cheap. SO , therefore we must make the best use of our funds. We don't eat out, go to the movies, and the such. We worked our a$$e$ off to get debt free by retirement age, and that helps. BUT, believe me the cost of surviving is NOT going down. I would like to buy local, but if I can make my money go 3 times as far, That's what I will do. Like it or not, That's the way it is in Yazoo City. Don't start with a capital"P" that stands for pool, which stands for trouble. Nuff said, My soapbox is crumbling beneath me. Gotta get a new one from Taiwan
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. foambuilder View Post
Frank; It is obvious to me that you have more disposable funds than a lot of us do. My wife and I are on a fixed income, and a few pennies put back, but we ARE NOT affluent by any means. We have to split our funds ,(after bills,bills, insurance, taxes) and all of the other things we must pay or have between our various hobbies. Yes we have more than one, and unfortunately , none of them are cheap. SO , therefore we must make the best use of our funds. We don't eat out, go to the movies, and the such. We worked our a$$e$ off to get debt free by retirement age, and that helps. BUT, believe me the cost of surviving is NOT going down. I would like to buy local, but if I can make my money go 3 times as far, That's what I will do. Like it or not, That's the way it is in Yazoo City. Don't start with a capital"P" that stands for pool, which stands for trouble. Nuff said, My soapbox is crumbling beneath me. Gotta get a new one from Taiwan
Haha. I wish that was true, but it not the case. My RC fleet consists of five planes and that's all. I usually have to sell one or two before I buy something else. And I am trying to sell a couple right now, but it is not going well. I am also selling a few other non-RC related items just so I can still get some RC goodies that I'd like to have. Money is tight around these parts as well. Especially with gas costing $4.50 a gallon.

I guess I have been doing a terrible job at communicating. I'll try harder in the future.

It does not cost much more, if anything, to buy things here in America. Have you ever shopped at HeadsUp RC or Value Hobby? Without them I doubt I'd be having as much fun as I do have. If you look at the link I posted above, I just bought those two power supply splitters and it cost $2 for shipping. That's awesome. Where are you going to find a better deal like that overseas? And it only took two days to get to my mailbox. So I betcha we could all shop here in the USA, save a few bucks and have those monies mean that much more. At least five times more according to what I read.

Does that make sense?

Frank
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:07 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
OK so now that you've identified something that you think is an issue, what are you going to do about it? Complain on the internet like everybody else? It's a self-fulfilling problem. If you think people don't care, they won't.
There's a lot of things I'd LIKE to do, and have attempted to do, with no reply. Wrote my Congressman about the job situation in R.I. (#2 in the nation for joblessness), and heard nothing. I even asked the Obamanation about this "change" that never happened...'course I DID email (internet) the Whitehouse, so my email was lost in millions of the same question no doubt. Not to sound cliche, but I'm only one person. I am an active member of the N.R.A., A.M.A., contribute to the wounded warrior project at www.woundedwarriorproject.org (DAMNED internet again) every year, I am a registered voter (Democrat, but only because R.I. won't let you register Independant). The internet can be a very powerful tool if it's used correctly...
People can say whatever they want, but as far as I've seen, and I'm concerned, the beginning of the end of this Country was when Bubba Clinton passed N.A.F.T.A.
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by matiac; Oct 20, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiac View Post
There's a lot of things I'd LIKE to do, and have attempted to do, with no reply. Wrote my Congressman about the job situation in R.I. (#2 in the nation for joblessness), and heard nothing. I even asked the Obamanation about this "change" that never happened...'course I DID email (internet) the Whitehouse, so my email was lost in millions of the same question no doubt. Not to sound cliche, but I'm only one person. I am an active member of the N.R.A., A.M.A., contribute to the wounded warrior project at www.woundedwarriorproject.org every year, I am a registered voter (Democrat, but only because R.I. won't let you register Independant). The internet can be a very powerful tool if it's used correctly...
Wow, we have a lot in common. Even though belonging to those organizations cost money, I feel it a necessity to belong so we can have a voice in protecting those things I enjoy doing. As a retired military member, I fully support what the WWP is doing for our service men and women. These wars that we are costing us way too much and for too many families, the sacrifice will last a lifetime.

OK, wow, that sure got off topic. Sorry about that.

Frank
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Jan 2000
7,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post

Got the mail today and there they were. And it only cost $2 for shipping. I absolutely could not drive to my LHS for less than that. I guess I could have rode my bicycle, but it would have cost more in bagels and coffee to make it there and back.

Frank
So in this case you opted for convenience and dollar savings over supporting your LHS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Steve,
But you know, I have heard that urban legend about HK having a store located here in the USA, but I don't believe that. So far I have not seen anything that leads me to believe there is a HK store here. I have been told even when you call for customer service you call overseas.

Frank
I've bought a bunch from the Hobby King USA and I doubt I'm alone.

As far as my $50 comment, the Phoenix 10 ESC which is "assembled" not made in the US is a good example. Retail is $59.95 with MAP pricing ~ $50 while the rebadged Hobbywing 10 ESC which has a better linear response is ~ $10 shipped. That leaves me $40 to spend in my truly local economy. I doubt too many economists would consider sending money out of state as buying "local"

Azarr
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:08 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Nigel,

"Made in USA" is not controlled by the federal gov't. In fact, the state of California has it so restrictive that it's just about impossible to have a product labeled that way and sell it there legally.

"Made in EU" is a joke. As long as you put the last sticker on in the EU, it could be made anywhere and get the EU label on it.

Andy
Yes .. sorry - I meant to go back to correct the post but forgot. I should have said : Assembled in USA ... EU.

As to EU - you are actually wrong. The same rules apply ... Assembled in ... Made in ....

Very few component items are made in the West now when Far East can make them so cheaply.

Those bastions of Electronics like Phillips ... long ago went down the road ... along with many other household names ...
The girlie toy IPhone ... made in a factory in China ...

I applaud the post that guy shows how his $50 is spent ... $10 online ... $40 locally to various local interests. Now that is looking at wider picture.

At this moment in time I am in Singapore ... working in the Port ... around me are oil tank terminals ... on continuous throughput. Many of which are involved in the supply of China ...
China has limited own oil production and has to buy in ... huge volumes. Traders around the world cashing in on the Chinese need for imported fuel.

Anyone watching the Global Economic market will know that China is in a bit of a pickle at the moment with rising costs and lower growth than predicted. This could be and is likely the prelude to the slow decline of China and move to another location of cheap manufacturing. And guess who will be major funders / instigators of that move ? Western companies who want to continue their advantage in using cheap labour areas.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife