SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2012, 03:58 AM
United States, MA, Northampton
Joined Jan 2009
131 Posts
Discussion
dragnse7en's Litehawk Aero squadron

Hello everyone

I have been flying indoor micro helis on and off since 2008, and the heli bug bit me in January this year. By February, I mastered one indoor heli and got "bored" of it, for the lack of better terms. I still like flying inside when it's too windy or if it rains

Anyway, in March, I got my 1st outdoor heli; the Litehawk Aero. It is almost identical to the Double Horse 9100, and is the same size. It seems to be a re-badged DH, with very few and subtle differences.

This heli is a fantastic transition from a coax to a single rotor fixed-pitch outdoor heli. It is a borderline "toy grade" heli; it uses a 27mHz AM freq, and is only a 3ch model. It does, however have a great tech and spare parts support for their entire line. The company is based out of Ontario, Canada, and is distributed by Borgfeldt. Their web site can be found here - http://www.litehawk.ca/default.asp

So, I bought my 1st Aero, went to my favorite sports bar, ate lunch and had a few beers and a couple of shots of Jack Daniels to calm my nerves, and ate a giant bacon cheddar cheeseburger while the battery charged up in the back of the bar. I then went home and prepared - I practiced by flying one of my indoor helis, and then went out for my 1st outdoor flight.

I had about two light crashes, both no more than a couple of feet off the deck, but other than that, no other issues, and nothing at all broke. The blades are very study and have no nicks at all either. This heli can take serious abuse! I was very paranoid about crashing into a parked car in the parking lot, or getting it stuck in on top of the roof or on top of a tree, but I was surprised how easy overall it was to fly. My 1st flight lasted less than five minutes, but I landed it perfectly in the parking lot. Right after I landed it, I belched out a very loud "WHOOP!!!" and dropped to my knees, as if I single-handedly slayed the evil dragn

So, a few days later, I was waiting for the wind to calm down. My patience got the better of me, and I took it out again. There was a small, ever so slight breeze, but up past 50 feet in the air, there were stronger gusts of breeze. I tried to avoid crashing into a tree, but the gusts pushed it right against the top section of the trunk, and then slowly tumbled down, making sure to hit each and every branch on the way down. I could have gone inside, watched the Godfather movie, and go back outside only to see it finally tumble to the grass.

I took a quick look at it, and I thought it was okay. I tried to fly it again, and although it flew fine, it was leaning to the right badly, and the rudder trim didn't help at all. I landed it, and re-inspected it. A-hah! I bent the airframe and it was tweaked to the right when it hit the tree.

So, the following day, I went out and bought another Aero after I ordered some common replacements for both, including extra batteries. I modded out the 2nd Aero, trimming weight and adjusting the CG to give it a better fight against a light breeze, and got ready for more fun.

Because of my location, both Aeros climb upward very easily, and fast. So fast, I almost got out of range of control on a couple of occasions. That day, there was a steady breeze about 150-200 feet up there, and the heli just couldn't fight against it. I was very close to getting out of range again, and it drifted over the marsh across the parking lot, which is seperated by a line of tall trees. I dropped the throttle down to try and get out of the wind, but it still sat hovering over the marsh. I gave up, and about 75 feet or so in the air, I sacrificed it and cut the throttle off. Now, somewhere out there, Yoda and Kermit are taking the black box out to have a good laugh.

Tomorrow, I'll be picking up my 3rd Aero, and will add some weight inside the nose of the canopy to adjust the CG further forward, and copy the other mods I made previously, to get a better fight against those annoying breezes.

Here's some pics of my doomed "Dagobah system" Aero, before its ultimate demise -

For the mods, I removed all the spacers between the inner and outer chassis plates, the tail boom supports and horizontal tail fin. I cut the two black foam donuts on the skids in half to make four, and put them on all four corners. The original has two on the LH side, opposite of the antenna tube. I then added eight Team Associated red o-rings to capture the foam donuts on the skids, and added some blue flame rc car stickers to the canopy. The next mod on my 3rd Aero will include 4-5 grams of knead-tite modelling putty inside the front of the nose in the canopy. I'm also going to unwind the antenna and extend it out towards the tail rotor to increase the control range.

All in all, I really like this 3ch heli. It's a seamless transition from flying a coax heli, even without the 4th aileron channel. I'd give this model a four out of five stars It would be five if it had a 2.4gHz setup and a 4th channel, but for what it's worth, it sure is a tank when it comes to durability - even after my mods.

After I master this heli, I'll move up to a 4ch FP outdoor heli - and my eyes are on the Double Horse 9116 or 9117. When I get one of those, I'll already have a healthy amount of spare parts that can swap out between the Aero and 9116/9117. Until that time, I'll have tons of fun with my two Aeros!!!

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for mod number three!
dragnse7en is offline Find More Posts by dragnse7en
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 11:12 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
In 10,000 years some cavemen will be digging peat moss out of that bog and finding Litehawk Aero helicopters. They will need a transmitter.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old May 01, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Jan 2009
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
In 10,000 years some cavemen will be digging peat moss out of that bog and finding Litehawk Aero helicopters. They will need a transmitter.
ROFL!!!!!

YYYYESSSS!!!!!!!! They'll dig it up, think that it's a Diety and worship it - and build a huge rock temple around it!!!! lol

And the ancient 27mHz crystals will be worth more than the weight of pure gold!!!!!!!!!

I'm so glad I have my Late East Edinger RC10 - full ABEC8 bearings and Jim Halsey's tranny installed

I can almost die a happy man as soon as my collection is complete!
Old May 01, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined May 2012
63 Posts
Please stop wasting your money! Buy an Eflite blade, a Blade will (way) out preform the corresponding Litehawk in any category. Period! My first heli was a Litehawk, and I bought several when I first got started...if only I kenw then what I know now...waste of money! I could have had a Blade CX or MCX for the same money with all the benifits (TX mode 2, swappable batts, 2.4G, multi chargers...etc)! A Blade MCX2 is $10 bucks more than a Litehawk Pro (4ch), and it's (the MCX2) proabably the best micro co-ax around, it can litterally fly circles around a LH Pro! Buy yourself a Blade MSRX fixed pitch flybarless for $119 or $149 with a TX, and will fly 40 MPH stock! It will litterally blow you away! And it's super easy to install a brushless set up for more bang! Seriously, the Litehawk AERO is not even in the same ballpark. Any of these Blade birds will really "open your eyes" to this hobby! I am a Blade owner and fan. Get a real heli and really enjoy your hobby! Good Luck!
hotshot888 is offline Find More Posts by hotshot888
Old May 02, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Jan 2009
131 Posts
I already have a Blade mSRX.

Thanks again for your opinion.

My LH II cost me about $60. My Blade mSRX cost me about $130.
Last edited by dragnse7en; May 02, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old May 02, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined May 2012
63 Posts
No affront meant but, comparing an IR 3 chanel co-ax toy grade heli with disco lights to a 2.4G fixed pitch flybarless hobby grade heli is pointless and unfair to both birds. They are not in the same category. At (only) twice the price the MSRX is giving you a thousand times more value, in every respect. HH with their Blade line have revolutionized this hobby, in design, preformance, customer service, flybarless technology and cost. I was actually comparing the LH 2 to a Blade Scout ($49) or MCX ($69). If you had ordered direct from Hong Kong (DH Gate.com) you could have had three JXD 335s (aka Litehawk with a different color canopy) for $60. Since you have both the AERO and the MSRX , how do you find they compare? I fly with a buddy who bought an AERO, and it drives him crazy to watch my MSRX at the park. He feels like he wasted $130 (tax + shipping) on his AERO. Granted the MSRX will require more skill to fly well, but that will be the case for any heli with the preformance of the MSRX. There is nothing wrong with making an educated buying decision and purchasing a Litehawk. Personally, I felt burned (ripped off) by these toy helis and I just want other people to know there are more (and better) options out there, even for beginners. A proper review of any product should offer some comparison to other makes / models in the same price / preformance range. I'm not picking on your review, I just feel strongly about this. BTW I belive I gave you some advice on setting up your MSRX in another thread. Enjoy flying.
Old May 02, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Jan 2009
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot888 View Post
No affront meant but, comparing an IR 3 chanel co-ax toy grade heli with disco lights to a 2.4G fixed pitch flybarless hobby grade heli is pointless and unfair to both birds. They are not in the same category. At (only) twice the price the MSRX is giving you a thousand times more value, in every respect. HH with their Blade line have revolutionized this hobby, in design, preformance, customer service, flybarless technology and cost. I was actually comparing the LH 2 to a Blade Scout ($49) or MCX ($69). If you had ordered direct from Hong Kong (DH Gate.com) you could have had three JXD 335s (aka Litehawk with a different color canopy) for $60. Since you have both the AERO and the MSRX , how do you find they compare? I fly with a buddy who bought an AERO, and it drives him crazy to watch my MSRX at the park. He feels like he wasted $130 (tax + shipping) on his AERO. Granted the MSRX will require more skill to fly well, but that will be the case for any heli with the preformance of the MSRX. There is nothing wrong with making an educated buying decision and purchasing a Litehawk. Personally, I felt burned (ripped off) by these toy helis and I just want other people to know there are more (and better) options out there, even for beginners. A proper review of any product should offer some comparison to other makes / models in the same price / preformance range. I'm not picking on your review, I just feel strongly about this. BTW I belive I gave you some advice on setting up your MSRX in another thread. Enjoy flying.
I understand your point of view. I've been in the r/c hobby since 1984, and only on the rc10 legacy (and hardcore with the Japanese Tamiya/TRF corp) that has blown the popularity out of the water ever since.

I also feel your pain against "toy grade" helis - and guess what -

My purchase of my 3rd Aero was total garbage. In hindsight, I should have salvaged it for parts for my 1st Aero - the thing was junk.

Upon my fury (combat PTSD) I stomped the living crap out of it after it crashed. I took what's left of it for spare parts for my original Aero, which flew "as a toy grade" and will save it and truck on from there.

From my perspective, you sound like an intelligent person, although that you're a biased fan of the Blade family. I had a Blade MCX, and yes, it makes the LH II look like a toy.

I favor Blade helis too, but ultimately, I want a T-Rex 450 class - I've only been trying to review this toy chopper for what it's worth - a gateway drug to bring it to the next level for those who dabble their toes in the water, so to speak.

I'm not your enemy - I love the Blade line, but I have wwaayyy too may r/c's to count.

Is there an AA meeting for RC??? Bring it - I'm the worst addict!!!!!

PS - You are tagged as a friend - please accept my req
Old May 03, 2012, 12:28 AM
Joined May 2012
63 Posts
dragnse7en, I am a Blade fan, but please note, my hands on experience is limited to Blades, Litehawks, JXDs, Symas, Double Horse and a Helizone T-bird (real junk). I recommend the Blade line because I know and fly the birds! I do not recommend the Litehawk line because I know and have owned the helis! The T-Rex 450 is a serious machine. I hear good things about Align, but I have not flown one. PS It's all good! I will try and ease off the Blade stuff.
Last edited by hotshot888; May 03, 2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 12:47 AM
Joined Jan 2009
131 Posts
Yup, now I hate LH.

Just spent and wasted my time tuning up, well, for the lack of better words, a $(^&$^&$(%^$%^$ POS Litehawk Aero (my 3rd one)

Yeah, I'm going seriously back to my belief - the only thing that China makes that won't kill you are the guns they make. Everything else seems to do so

My 4ch Blade gets me froggy - is there somewhere that I can go outside???

I want Blade to make a 4ch outdoor one in a 450 size class to get rid of my crappy 3ch LH heh
Old May 03, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Jan 2009
131 Posts
What about a T-Rex? Have you dabbled into that?

ROFL - it's like asking a guy who plays with a Tamiya car, and expecting him to drive a Losi Ten SCTE . . . my bad