Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:08 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L View Post
... have all new trims programmed to handle balooning from the flaps ... Howard
Doesn't the elevator compensation take care of this instead of having new trims programmed with flaps? I have several flap planes and use the elevator compensation inthe flap menu system to help with balooning/pitching.

Just curious you can PM me if you want to..
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 08:00 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Doesn't the elevator compensation take care of this instead of having new trims programmed with flaps? I have several flap planes and use the elevator compensation inthe flap menu system to help with balooning/pitching.

Just curious you can PM me if you want to..
Freechip: If you are using flaps you could put most of the needed trim change in the flap-elevator compensation. The flap screen on the DX18 is very handy for this. For landing you may or may not use the flaps and if you do not use flaps then transitioning to a landing 'flight mode' could be used to change the elevator trim (for reduced power) and depending on the type of plane you may want to change the rudder trim also needed for reduced power and reduced air speed. Having a flight mode delay would allow this to occur slowly instead of a step function and subsequent bump in airplane.

Howard
Howard L is offline Find More Posts by Howard L
Old Jun 07, 2012, 08:58 AM
Citizen #96
NE Denver, CO
Joined Sep 2007
731 Posts
Hey Andy,

Any update on my question from post 1456.

I'm pretty sure it's a glitch as even the manual says you can do it on page 14.
Steve Graham is offline Find More Posts by Steve Graham
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:11 AM
I am UNIQUE!
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.W. Corrigan View Post
Hey Andy,

Any update on my question from post 1456.

I'm pretty sure it's a glitch as even the manual says you can do it on page 14.
Is it flight mode dependent? I would expect it to work in Normal and Hold and be disabled in Idle-Up.

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:11 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,806 Posts
When we tested it here, both the analog and digital trims were active on throttle when selecting analog. We were not able to reproduce your claim that analog was not active. There is a bug there, but not the one you mentioned so far as we could tell. Having an SPM file would make it easier for us to try to track down your issue.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:20 AM
United States, AZ, Sierra Vista
Joined Dec 2007
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
Ever considered the guys in the brown shorts used your package for football practice?

Harry
I would think there would have to be some SERIOUS g loads on that package to get a Rx to fail, plus the shipping box was in fine condition when it was received.

Just really annoyed to get the one system where both the Tx and Rx have a problem. but in reality who actually uses those dials anyway? In my 20 years plus, i dont think i have ever used them on any Tx (maybe a heli hover trim out). But i paid for a 100% working system and thats what i would like.

R/
ltdorn1 is offline Find More Posts by ltdorn1
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:17 AM
Citizen #96
NE Denver, CO
Joined Sep 2007
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
When we tested it here, both the analog and digital trims were active on throttle when selecting analog. We were not able to reproduce your claim that analog was not active. There is a bug there, but not the one you mentioned so far as we could tell. Having an SPM file would make it easier for us to try to track down your issue.

Andy
I will see if I can send you the file you requested. How do I do it?
Steve Graham is offline Find More Posts by Steve Graham
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:24 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,361 Posts
Export model file on sd card.
Transfer or copy the model file from sd card to pc.
Email model file / spm file to Andy
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:53 AM
Aeronaught
United States, OR, Sherwood
Joined Oct 2007
17 Posts
Test msg
Roger Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Roger Anderson
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:57 AM
Aeronaught
United States, OR, Sherwood
Joined Oct 2007
17 Posts
2. AR9020 Rx. Will not power up or bind right out of the box. The tx will bind with my other spektrum Rx's. (annoying because i only have a couple of the 6 channel spk rx. and needed the 9 channel to run the pawnee)

I found the same problem, which was caused by me assuming the servo wire polarity was the same for both sides of the AR9020....I called Horizon and they helped me discover that although I had the servo wires connected correctly on one side, assuming it was the same orientation on the other was not quite the way to go.

Thanks again to the help offered to my earlier request for powered glider setups, VERY much appreciated!
Roger Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Roger Anderson
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:32 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
998 Posts
Very nice unit! Now I must play with it and start transfering data...

Wonder when Spektrum will have downloads for the various aircraft available for the DX18 as they do with the DX8, any news Andy?
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:34 PM
United States, AZ, Sierra Vista
Joined Dec 2007
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Anderson View Post
2. AR9020 Rx. Will not power up or bind right out of the box. The tx will bind with my other spektrum Rx's. (annoying because i only have a couple of the 6 channel spk rx. and needed the 9 channel to run the pawnee)

I found the same problem, which was caused by me assuming the servo wire polarity was the same for both sides of the AR9020....I called Horizon and they helped me discover that although I had the servo wires connected correctly on one side, assuming it was the same orientation on the other was not quite the way to go.

Thanks again to the help offered to my earlier request for powered glider setups, VERY much appreciated!

Woot.. thanks Roger... it was the labeling on the sides of the rx that threw me off.

So Rx is good woot. as for the r dial... maybe after the new transmitter excitement wears off i will send it it to get fixed.

R/
ltdorn1 is offline Find More Posts by ltdorn1
Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:23 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,697 Posts
Timer Functions

I was just browsing through the manual and realized some functionality of the timer. When I messed around a bit on the weekend I noticed that with the default setting of 25% throttle to start the timer, that it stopped again when I moved the throttle below 25%. I thought, that is a nice way to have it. If you have a chance to stop on the runway and do some adjustments and then take off again it will pause while you are stationary and then resume when you take off. In that case I would have the threshold set very low so it only stops when you are basically at zero throttle.

I now see there is another setting in the timer screen One Time, and default is inhibit. I assume if you made another choice like Active then once started it would continue to run even if you went below your threshold again?

That makes for flexible configurations you could have.
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Dec 2007
182 Posts
Neck strap gizmo

The DX18 comes with a neck strap. The strap has a hook for attaching to the tx. Attached to the hook is a split ring. Also attached to the split ring is a black plastic gizmo that has a quick release buckle and a loop of what looks like black nylon twine. Curious minds wish to know the purpose of the gizmo, which is obviously specifically designed to do something. Maybe to attach one's receiver bind plug to, to make it harder to lose?
tourist_603 is offline Find More Posts by tourist_603
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:17 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Does anyone know if I can download upgrades for the Spektrum transmitter on a Mac computer? I will be getting a DX18 soon and I don't own a PC. Would it be possible for me to put the SD card into my Mac after downloading upgrades and then put the SD card into the transmitter and have everything work okay?

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy