Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:02 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I so need a USB interface!
Oh, and them settings before Spektrum try to stop us getting them...

Tony
I am hosting them on my website here.
Quote:
Na, I want the best of both worlds!

AS3X on a Tx switch...
The new software has a line that looks like you can enable and disable the system from tx channel 5. Wont help the CC though with the flaps, unless you install a physical "y" in the ailerons and turn off the logical internal "Y" on the brick.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:17 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Well---I made a discovery just now that I should have made earlier...Although now I only have 5 flights on the CC...

As per a previous posting I said that my CC was all "over the place" in gusty winds and that I could hear the AS3X system working its butt off...I decided to try something that should be a standard requirement and not be a mistake by a veteran modeller...I removed the stock prop and installed a very well balanced GWS 5030 prop...WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!...The plane is now VERY stable in the wind and is not a handfull to fly as it previously was...And has more power as well!!!...I'm smacking my head on the concrete as I type for forgetting this basic requirement---BALANCE THE PROP!!!...With my other AS3X planes I swapped out the prop before the maiden with a balanced GWS prop of the proper pitch for the installed motor as per the kv rating...

I can't believe that I made such a rookie mistake...Anyway---The CC now flies MUCH more smoothly in the winds...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:45 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Well---I made a discovery just now that I should have made earlier...Although now I only have 5 flights on the CC...

As per a previous posting I said that my CC was all "over the place" in gusty winds and that I could hear the AS3X system working its butt off...I decided to try something that should be a standard requirement and not be a mistake by a veteran modeller...I removed the stock prop and installed a very well balanced GWS 5030 prop...WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!...The plane is now VERY stable in the wind and is not a handfull to fly as it previously was...And has more power as well!!!...I'm smacking my head on the concrete as I type for forgetting this basic requirement---BALANCE THE PROP!!!...With my other AS3X planes I swapped out the prop before the maiden with a balanced GWS prop of the proper pitch for the installed motor as per the kv rating...

I can't believe that I made such a rookie mistake...Anyway---The CC now flies MUCH more smoothly in the winds...

Kevin
I was wondering what was going on there! Yeah, the 5030 is definitely the sweet spot for this plane. Here's a clip of me flying the CC in a gusty 8-16 MPH wind. She was definitely flyable, but I don't think she'll be replacing the Beast 3D as my favorite windsurfing UM anytime soon.

Eflite UMX Carbon Cub SS in an 8-16 MPH wind (14 min 15 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:29 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I was wondering what was going on there! Yeah, the 5030 is definitely the sweet spot for this plane. Here's a clip of me flying the CC in a gusty 8-16 MPH wind. She was definitely flyable, but I don't think she'll be replacing the Beast 3D as my favorite windsurfing UM anytime soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86ReyVUIow

Joel
Yep!!!...The Beast 3D is still my favorite all around plane and excells at wind surfing over all of my other AS3X planes...I managed to wind surf my CC this evening before the rains set in and I was pleased...I surfed both with and without flaps---With the flaps deployed I could fly backwards in the winds without any problem...Without flaps the CC was predictably less boyant in the winds but still a pleasure to surf/fly by keeping the throttle advanced...I'm a happy camper!!!...Before the prop swap I was concerned that I had a real turd that was only flyable in calm winds...I can't believe that I let a rookie mistake like an out of balance prop whip my butt---But such is life!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
...I removed the stock prop and installed a very well balanced GWS 5030 prop...WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!...The plane is now VERY stable in the wind and is not a handfull to fly as it previously was...And has more power as well!!!..
This is good to know - mine came with a messed up prop screw that couldn't be removed - they sent me a new prop and adapter which I hadn't put on yet, just dynamically balanced the original prop. I also have a 5030 which, after your comment, will balance with the magnetic balancer and install.

Your other comment in a previous post - "One wierd quirk that I noted is when you get the plane nose high and in a stall the AS3X system wants to do some strange inputs, keeping the plane stalled....I've got to get some video of it to help describe what the CC does in this deep stalled condition...Almost like it has a mind of its own...I can add power and fly out of it...I can see where some say that the AS3X system is "fighting" them..." - is somewhat what I experienced as well. The comment "Almost like it has a mind of its own" is precisely what I felt.
midnite is offline Find More Posts by midnite
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:35 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
5,063 Posts
Oh gawd, don't say the AS3X is "fighting" you....that's sacrilege on this thread...!

But don't worry; I felt the same way. I guess I just don't know how to fly....
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:12 PM
Joined Feb 2012
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Oh gawd, don't say the AS3X is "fighting" you....that's sacrilege on this thread...!

But don't worry; I felt the same way. I guess I just don't know how to fly....

I think everyone is in a learning phase with this - even HH. Some want it removed entirely, some want the option of disabling it when they prefer to fly without it, some like it as is, and some just want to learn how to deal with it.

I suppose I'm in the last group. There's no doubt it makes flying in turbulent conditions easier - but that's when some of the issues arise as well. Maybe my particular problem is resolved, don't know for certain until it's encountered again.

turboparker's last video was interesting - but I fly the J-3 and Champ in almost the same winds. It's also interesting that the Beast 3D handles those conditions better. This seems to be related to the CC platform and AS3X.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:13 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Oct 2011
632 Posts
My first CC had a few bad crashes. I repaired the damage with foam-safe CA glue then painted the repairs with Martha Stewart arylic high gloss red paint. Then it looked pretty good except the CA glue darkened the light silver tail. I didn't find any matching silver paint.

I painted my replacement CC with acrylic varathane satin and now it is much stronger and smoother. I use it on all my micro airplanes.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:14 PM
Joined Feb 2012
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
I painted my replacement CC with acrylic varathane satin and now it is much stronger and smoother. I use it on all my micro airplanes.
Did you brush it on or spray it?
How much weight did it add?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:45 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,783 Posts
Quote:
I so need a USB interface!
Oh, and them settings before Spektrum try to stop us getting them...
For fun I googled the name of the original file and found it exactly... nowhere else. Even Spektrum and HH didn't turn up. I think the reason is that it's linked -through- the -pdf- installation instruction page. Not that that should stop a spider, they just didn't happen to go far enough to find it.

Buuut googling -part- of the name 'usbprog' yielded some interesting results. Apparently it' an open source hardware/software solution for interfacing USB to serial, which is exactly what the Spektrum device does.

The apparent true source, here's a page in German http://www.usbprog.org, and the same page translated to English http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...ww.usbprog.org

Besides those there are tons of hits for people doing all sorts of Linux and Windows projects.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:17 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,977 Posts
I put two flights on my CC today. I am very pleased with the way it handles with my 350mah 2s flightmax packs. Had 10 mph winds, floats for the snow, and cold fingers. Getting used to the as3x. I had a narrow flying field and had to stay above the trees until landing time. Dropped in between the trees.

Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:33 AM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,097 Posts
OK I had my re-maiden yesterday. I say re-maiden because the first maiden flight, the wheel rolled right off down the runway at takeoff because I had forgotten a drop of CA to the retainers

3 batteries, and i LOVED it. I think it was still a little tail heavy, but I was flying in 8 or 9 mph winds with some pretty good gusts. It still rolls to the left but man I can tell you right now this is going to be one of my favorite planes to fly. It was a real pleasure. Now to learn how to do some Cub aerobatics!

Oh and btw... Joel... I have a deep respect now for your piloting abilities! One wheel dragging touch-and-goes? I was lucky I could put it down consistently on the dirt road runway. A couple times I was hitting LVC while I was still sorting out the timer and I wasn't in a position to land so I flew it over my head and ran under it to catch it!
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:39 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
OK I had my re-maiden yesterday. I say re-maiden because the first maiden flight, the wheel rolled right off down the runway at takeoff because I had forgotten a drop of CA to the retainers

3 batteries, and i LOVED it. I think it was still a little tail heavy, but I was flying in 8 or 9 mph winds with some pretty good gusts. It still rolls to the left but man I can tell you right now this is going to be one of my favorite planes to fly. It was a real pleasure. Now to learn how to do some Cub aerobatics!

Oh and btw... Joel... I have a deep respect now for your piloting abilities! One wheel dragging touch-and-goes? I was lucky I could put it down consistently on the dirt road runway. A couple times I was hitting LVC while I was still sorting out the timer and I wasn't in a position to land so I flew it over my head and ran under it to catch it!
That's interesting, as I finally was able to fly mine for the second time today, and even though I straightened the rudder (which initially had a left curl), it still rolls aggressively to the left (hands off for 3 sec isn't possible). I trimmed in flight, numerous clicks of right ridder and aileron. Winds are gusty and choppy as I fly in a subdivision, so precise trimming isn't possible, but that was almost flying straight. I've now had the same behavior with both the floats and the wheels.

After landing I removed the battery with the trims still in place. The rudder is noticeably to the right, with the leading edge 2mm left of the horizontal stabilizer. The left aileron is down 0.5 mm, and the right is up 1 mm. To me, this is all drastically off from what I expect.

There is visible right and down thrust on the motor, as expected. The wings and empennage all seem level and square. I checked the cg before each flight with a homemade stand. Running out of ideas!
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:25 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
That's interesting, as I finally was able to fly mine for the second time today, and even though I straightened the rudder (which initially had a left curl), it still rolls aggressively to the left (hands off for 3 sec isn't possible). I trimmed in flight, numerous clicks of right ridder and aileron. Winds are gusty and choppy as I fly in a subdivision, so precise trimming isn't possible, but that was almost flying straight. I've now had the same behavior with both the floats and the wheels.

After landing I removed the battery with the trims still in place. The rudder is noticeably to the right, with the leading edge 2mm left of the horizontal stabilizer. The left aileron is down 0.5 mm, and the right is up 1 mm. To me, this is all drastically off from what I expect.

There is visible right and down thrust on the motor, as expected. The wings and empennage all seem level and square. I checked the cg before each flight with a homemade stand. Running out of ideas!
Yeah I understand your frustration, nothing I could do could cure the left roll so much. I checked control surfaces and they all look fine. I bumped left down and right up a tiny amount, still rolled to the left a bit, although not as bad. Last night I had a thought that I haven't checked out - maybe the flaps are misaligned a touch and acting as ailerons. I'm charging a bunch of batteries now and I'm going back through turboparker's CC setup post. We'll see how it goes!
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick