SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:15 AM
United States, NJ, Caldwell
Joined Apr 2007
326 Posts
Are there no build threads for this plane? I just snagged one for 50% off. I am thinking a re-cover with chrome Monokote...
Sessholvlaru is offline Find More Posts by Sessholvlaru
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:58 AM
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Oct 2009
122 Posts
This is the only thread on the Maxford Swift that I found. I bought one also at the 50% off. Amazing deal. The plane arrived and looks very nice - a sure bargain for the price. Its about third in line to build, but when I do I will add my report and progress.

Doug
svtdoug is offline Find More Posts by svtdoug
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, NJ, Caldwell
Joined Apr 2007
326 Posts
Same here. I'm planning a re-trimming in chrome, just need to pick a scheme. I haven't gotten mine yet but most of their planes come with the hinges glued in so I might have to re-do those too.
Sessholvlaru is offline Find More Posts by Sessholvlaru
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2009
129 Posts
I bought three, just so I can have a parts-plane. I will do a thread on my kit-bashing. I plan on making mine like my full-scale Swift. A friend of mine just flew his and it appeared to be a nice flyer.
flyboycpa is offline Find More Posts by flyboycpa
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:22 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
The recent sale was far too good to pass up fo me as well. It appears to be very well built except for the factory chosen color scheme.I'm looking forward to the build but I'll have to change the color to represent original Globe/Tempco aluminum.
I'm in the middle of another build now but would look forward to keeping up to date on this thread and builds and photos.
ce
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Nov 27, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined May 2009
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
The recent sale was far too good to pass up fo me as well. It appears to be very well built except for the factory chosen color scheme.I'm looking forward to the build but I'll have to change the color to represent original Globe/Tempco aluminum.
I'm in the middle of another build now but would look forward to keeping up to date on this thread and builds and photos.
ce
Captain,

I have three, and I plan on doing one like my full-scale, one in either silver/chrome (haven't decided which). I was fortunate to fly the full-scale model that Maxford used for their covering scheme, shown below.

Good luck with your build!

Sam Swift
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:07 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboycpa View Post
Captain,

I have three, and I plan on doing one like my full-scale, one in either silver/chrome (haven't decided which). I was fortunate to fly the full-scale model that Maxford used for their covering scheme, shown below.

Sam Swift
Thanks, Sam....I thought I had a full scale stock Swift bought af few years ago but unfortunately the deal didn't materialize. I flew a friend's and it was such a sweetheart to fly for sure. They had a Swift Fly-In here about 3 weeks ago....wish I'd taken some photos.
Best,
Dick
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined May 2009
129 Posts
Dick,

You are referring to the Fall Gathering of the Red River Swift Wing (RRSW), held at Fredricksburg, TX at the Hangar Hotel (T82). A great event! I was unable to attend since I had to work.

Here's a link to the pictures from the event:

http://saginawwings.com/event-photos.htm

You can click on the individual photo albums

Sam Swift
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:28 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Sam, that's the one......it's also where I live. I was surprised to see so many with orig wing tips again. For a while back about 20 years or so it seemed everyone was putting the Bonanza tips or whatever they were on their planes.
Thanks for the link.
Dick
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined May 2009
129 Posts
Dick, you are right. There were a lot that had Bonanza tips on them. A good set of stock tips are worth some coin. There used to be several that had the old Corben Fette tips and dorsal. Thank God those are gone now.

I think if the Swift Museum (holder of Type Certificate) could get wingtips and gear parts made, they would be in financial hog-heaven.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:11 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Dick,

You are referring to the Fall Gathering of the Red River Swift Wing (RRSW), held at Fredricksburg, TX at the Hangar Hotel (T82). A great event! I was unable to attend since I had to work.

Here's a link to the pictures from the event:

http://saginawwings.com/event-photos.htm

You can click on the individual photo albums

Sam Swift

Hi Sam,

Good to find you on the Swift thread. I've had a lot of fun with my Lopresti Fury and have a couple dozen flights on it so far, I even sent Corkey the one good flying shot he he liked it, said it look REAL.

I loved looking at the pix of the Fury fly in, great design and really looks timeless with some of the new paint schemes.

I'll be watching some of the conversions on this thread, I think Maxford did an okay job but don't Ike the "starved horse" look as someone mentioned. Shouldnt be too hard to fully sheet the turtleneck, etc....

Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:47 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,698 Posts
Quote:
Captain,

Sam Swift
I just noticed the plane in the background, is it a Meyers 200? They were born and raised about 40 miles from where I live. That is another not to commonly modeled airplane....
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined May 2009
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsumner View Post
I just noticed the plane in the background, is it a Meyers 200? They were born and raised about 40 miles from where I live. That is another not to commonly modeled airplane....
Good to see you again Denny! I'm glad to hear that your Fury is still doing well! Yes, your sharp eyes noticed a Meyers 200 here at our airport. It is based here and is pretty stock. I flies regularly. Of a side note, the National fly-in for the Meyers was at our airport this year.

I, too, am not a fan of the starved-horse look that so many ARFs have. I am undecided if I'm going to go to the effort of sheeting over all that, or not. I just got the cowling sanded to remove the black and red paint this evening. We'll see about the fuselage.

I plan on posting photos of the progress once I get closer. I don't want to do a build thread as I dont' have time to keep it current, due to family and work. I figure I'll just wait til it's finished, then post the progress pictures.

Sam
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined Dec 2009
146 Posts
flyboycpa, how will you paint the canopy? I thought about changing the covering too, but not sure how to go about it.
flyinucrazy is offline Find More Posts by flyinucrazy
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:24 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
flyboy, I'd like to sheet mine as well but concerned about the weight....would you use 1/32 balsa?
RCG Plus Member