HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:23 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
I have some guess work to be done. I think White glue should do just fine to hold the wings on
I thought elastic wing bands and hooks.
Gaz-b is online now Find More Posts by Gaz-b
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:56 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,984 Posts
I expect there is a decent spar and alignment stubs. On my little VJ, I just use tape in case I need to remove the wings.
I would be nice to have removable wings and a wiring loom for easy transport.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:57 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,984 Posts
I'm off to the field. Ive gotta give these models a blast while the weather holds. J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:18 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,233 Posts
Guys be serious for a moment. Im already in trouble because we paid very little for this model, and it didnt come with instructions.

Whats the right configuration????
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:22 PM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,285 Posts
the black and white trim goes on the bottom
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:31 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,742 Posts
damn i want one...oh wait...i said that already....a few times! :O

too bad it will be like 5 years before they are back in stock...
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:43 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
The second config looks fast!

How much room is there inside once the fan's in? I'm hoping more than the HET SS90... That thing was a PITA to work on
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:30 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,233 Posts
Ill look into that for ya Odysis. But right now im wiped. We just started building 3 out of 9 new subway stations here in Toronto and Im the only welder taking care of and maintaining 12 drill rigs.

I got as far as gluing the control surfaces on and prepping the wing tip(just because they were there) and thats it. Youll need to remove the covering on the Wings tips to expose the balsa for a good bond.

Youll notice with the wing tips, I drill several holes to allow the 30min poxy(I mean White Glue) to seep in and get a better hold. Ill do this to all mating surfaces.

For the elevators, Ill be using the BlueBird High torque MG servos(BMS-555-DMG) I had in the 70mm Viper. The ailerons and rudder will be getting HS85MG as thats what I have on hand.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vettster; Sep 30, 2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:52 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,233 Posts
Guys.. I just cant bring myself to go with Gear. I hate the idea of adding the extra weight. Plus! since I fly mainly off of sod, its very difficult to get small wheeled AC into the air. I watched a buddy of mine, try to get his BVM Electra with 10s in the air a month ago, and he couldnt do it. So Im going to have to place an order for some more bungee cord. I think what Ill do for safety sake, is to double up the bungee cords.

I use Threra-Band instead of surgical tubing. Its 1/3 the cost and doesnt snap in cold weather. Far superior in my opinion. It comes in diffrent colors, that designate the strength. Im using Black. http://www.thera-band.com/store/prod...p?ProductID=27
I think two black length should be able to handle near 50lbs of pull illl require.

Trev
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:54 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
NO Trevor, Come to the dark side.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Oct 01, 2011, 03:54 AM
Norwich,UK
Joined Feb 2006
1,285 Posts
The red and blue look like what HK sell
Old Oct 01, 2011, 04:11 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Guys.. I just cant bring myself to go with Gear. I hate the idea of adding the extra weight. Plus! since I fly mainly off of sod, its very difficult to get small wheeled AC into the air. I watched a buddy of mine, try to get his BVM Electra with 10s in the air a month ago, and he couldnt do it. So Im going to have to place an order for some more bungee cord. I think what Ill do for safety sake, is to double up the bungee cords.

I use Threra-Band instead of surgical tubing. Its 1/3 the cost and doesnt snap in cold weather. Far superior in my opinion. It comes in diffrent colors, that designate the strength. Im using Black. http://www.thera-band.com/store/prod...p?ProductID=27
I think two black length should be able to handle near 50lbs of pull illl require.

Trev
Trev, I don't like to be negative but I think that if you fit good quality retracts, heavy RC Lander unit and 10 or 12S it won't be a nice brick to fly but more like a flying concrete block, but I still love the way it shines, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Oct 01, 2011, 08:43 AM
Waterford, ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
236 Posts
Trevor, how're you doing man?- I like your jet! As regards retracts, you could always install some but still bungee launch from that sod, or only fit them for fields with short grass or pavement (Ottawa, Burlington, TEMAC etc.) That's how I built that ill-fated Banshee- the wing tanks mounted where the main gear went, for belly landing. Just something to think about...
As my throwing shoulder is falling apart I've been bungeeing the Sabre for a few months now and 18# stretch is more than enough to put it in the air right now. (It's around 7.5 lbs., and I use the black theraband Bob picked up with your info.) So I don't know if this 5 to 1 stretch thing is necessary- to me it's not. The tubing is doubled up and no ramp is used, BTW. That amount of stretch was also more than adequate for the Banshee too, at 8 lbs.
Anyway, have fun Trev!
Tom
pogoed is online now Find More Posts by pogoed
Old Oct 01, 2011, 09:51 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
Vettster! Ever use JB weld on assembly? (Special areas) The best part for me is I can tell where it is and where to clean up! Plus it a dark color and sharpens seam lines visually when wanted. Doesn't drip.....
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:17 AM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogoed View Post
Trevor, how're you doing man?- I like your jet! As regards retracts, you could always install some but still bungee launch from that sod, or only fit them for fields with short grass or pavement (Ottawa, Burlington, TEMAC etc.) That's how I built that ill-fated Banshee- the wing tanks mounted where the main gear went, for belly landing. Just something to think about...
As my throwing shoulder is falling apart I've been bungeeing the Sabre for a few months now and 18# stretch is more than enough to put it in the air right now. (It's around 7.5 lbs., and I use the black theraband Bob picked up with your info.) So I don't know if this 5 to 1 stretch thing is necessary- to me it's not. The tubing is doubled up and no ramp is used, BTW. That amount of stretch was also more than adequate for the Banshee too, at 8 lbs.
Anyway, have fun Trev!
Tom
Hey Tom! Good to hear from you.
I just dont like to add the extra weight. I really dont travel to many other clubs that have short enough grass to even use the gear. Bungee is the way to go. Good to hear you doubled up the bungee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Vettster! Ever use JB weld on assembly? (Special areas) The best part for me is I can tell where it is and where to clean up! Plus it a dark color and sharpens seam lines visually when wanted. Doesn't drip.....
I have not... but Im willing to try. Anything has to be better than that messy goop as you mentioned. Like you say. It must leave a very clean edge and fill larger cavities with ease. Have you built many plane with it? My only concern is, that it dries very brittle doesnt it? Is there a perticular type you are useing. You mentioned (special areas) so do you still use 30min poxy for the wing roots. Im concidering useing Hysol on the wing roots this time. any thoughts..

Thanks for the Tip!

Trevor
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vettster; Oct 01, 2011 at 10:26 AM.