SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:10 PM
crashing build's character.
United States, AL, Dora
Joined Mar 2008
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalleyB0Y View Post
where did you get those led litghts? that looks cool.
onefastxp is offline Find More Posts by onefastxp
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:28 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jul 2011
900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastxp View Post
where did you get those led litghts? that looks cool.
My LHS had them in the scratch n dent pile because the case they came in was cracked. However the lights work perfectly, two red flashing beacons on the rudders, two flashing strobes on the trailing edge of the wings and then the usual red, green and two white flood lights... They all plug into a micro board with a servo tail. Pretty nice for $5! Look for SNhobbies.com to get some.
WhalleyB0Y is offline Find More Posts by WhalleyB0Y
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:24 AM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,687 Posts
Do you guys know of any cyber monday power packs for the funjet? I found the kit for $90 and i just need a power pack. What do you guys recomend for 120mph max. What about 150 mph. Thanks!
jasonafriedman is offline Find More Posts by jasonafriedman
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
I have a 7X13 on the way - then we'll see mwahahahahaaa

I maidended my SK3 1900kv today.
Set up is:
200A red brick ESC
nano 4s2700
APC 7.4X8 composite
FJU - stock except for additional spar.
AUW : 47.5oz

Data is from hitec telemetry. I only got peak values - flight log will follow later.
Top speed was from a dive - I know I know - the gurus want level flight - sorry, it was too much fun not to dive. I flew mainly WOT.
Peak current : 108A (I assume on launch)
Top speed : 180mph (FJ was stable as a rock)
Peak temp of motor : 130F
Peak temp of ESC : 140F
How did you get proper CG with that setup? I just dropped in the SK3 1900kv and with Nano 4s 2650's 35-70c, there is almost no possible way for the CG to be correct. It is very tail heavy with the SK3.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:05 AM
Joined Oct 2008
490 Posts
Move your battery as far forward as possible. You'll need to remove some foam. It will balance.
Also, the ESC sits behind the spar but as far forward as possible so that it touches the spar.
What prop you going to use ?
War Machine is offline Find More Posts by War Machine
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
Move your battery as far forward as possible. You'll need to remove some foam. It will balance.
Also, the ESC sits behind the spar but as far forward as possible so that it touches the spar.
What prop you going to use ?
I'm going with a 5s setup and plan on starting with a APC electric 7x6 and going from there, maybe a 6x5.5 depending how many amps it pulls.

I put the 4s batts in to see what it would take to get the CG right. The 5s 3000mah are about 150g heavier than the 4s, so it should help with the balance.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,068 Posts
180 MPH from a HobbyKing SK3 motor? For real?

Can you link to the SK3 motor you used? I'm having a hard-time justifying spending $75-100 on a Mega or an ARC to get my Ultra to break 100+ MPH. But 180MPH on a $30ish HobbyKing motor is unreal (and awesome)!
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
180 MPH from a HobbyKing SK3 motor? For real?

Can you link to the SK3 motor you used? I'm having a hard-time justifying spending $75-100 on a Mega or an ARC to get my Ultra to break 100+ MPH. But 180MPH on a $30ish HobbyKing motor is unreal (and awesome)!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...90mm_EDF_.html

You can break 100mph with far less than the SK3 we are referring to. This motor in question can push a FJU over 200mph, way overkill for what you are seeking.

Just buy the stock FJU power pack and that will be good for 125-130mph and go from there.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:15 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,646 Posts
Quote:
.......... I'm having a hard-time justifying spending $75-100 on a Mega or an ARC to get my Ultra to break 100+ MPH. But 180MPH on a $30ish HobbyKing motor is unreal (and awesome)!
Well they're $50 not $30,

They are also doing a 1600kv version which should let you run a bit bigger prop,
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,068 Posts
That's a badass motor. And your batteries don't puff on this Super EDF motor? And do you have to clear some foam inside the Ultra to make this inrunner fit?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
Quote:
That's a badass motor. And your batteries don't puff on this Super EDF motor? And do you have to clear some foam inside the Ultra to make this inrunner fit?
Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you don't have the experience to run a setup that necessitates this motor. I would start with something smaller and work your way up to it. On 6s, this motor can put out over 2500watts, way more than what somebody who is trying to find a setup that can do 100mph needs.

Start light and with lower power. These big power setups get fairly heavy and affect the flight/launch/landing characteristics quite significantly.

Now, I don't know your high speed experience, but the FJU power pack is a great starting place, it has more than enough power to do 125+ all day long. You can always prop down and knock off some of the speed while getting used to it.

Shoot, I know I'm not ready for 6s on this motor. Quite frankly it scares me. But I've worked my way up through small 400w Radjets, 800w Funjets, 800w FJU's, and currently a 1300w FJU. I'm only running 5s on the SK3 because it is the next logical step up in power. No need to go full tilt from the get go.

This is all an assumption based on your posts and granted I'm still learning myself. I just don't want to see anybody get hurt on the quest for big MPH. The speeds at which these planes can fly at are nothing short of dangerous.
Last edited by nofreee; Nov 27, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:19 PM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,193 Posts
I have many flights on mine at over 190 mph, and a handful over 200 mph, and everything you said is 100% on the money! The SK3 is only for those needing the highest speeds out of this model, (170+). With the big assumption you have the modeling skills to build it, and the pilot skills to fly it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreee View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you don't have the experience to run a setup that necessitates this motor. I would start with something smaller and work your way up to it. On 6s, this motor can put out over 2500watts, way more than what somebody who is trying to find a setup that can do 100mph needs.

Start light and with lower power. These big power setups get fairly heavy and affect the flight/launch/landing characteristics quite significantly.

Now, I don't know your high speed experience, but the FJU power pack is a great starting place, it has more than enough power to do 125+ all day long. You can always prop down and knock off some of the speed while getting used to it.

Shoot, I know I'm not ready for 6s on this motor. Quite frankly it scares me. But I've worked my way up through small 400w Radjets, 800w Funjets, 800w FJU's, and currently a 1300w FJU. I'm only running 5s on the SK3 because it is the next logical step up in power. No need to go full tilt from the get go.

This is all an assumption based on your posts and granted I'm still learning myself. I just don't to see anybody get hurt on the quest for big MPH. The speeds at which these planes can fly at are nothing short of dangerous.
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you don't have the experience to run a setup that necessitates this motor. I would start with something smaller and work your way up to it.
None taken. I fly a regular Funjet. And am building my first Ultra. I don't plan on jumping to this SK3 motor off the blocks. I'll work up to it. I have recommended Himax outrunner. But it's such a tight squeeze and the wires coming out the front, I was thinking maybe going with a comparable inrunner at first.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
What size batteries and cell count do you want to use? That can help us narrow down a good motor for you.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,068 Posts
Quote:
What size batteries and cell count do you want to use? That can help us narrow down a good motor for you.
I want to stick to 4 cell for now. I have a lot of 2200 25C Gens Ace ones, along with heavier 3000 mah 40C Turnigy's.