Old Aug 26, 2013, 09:57 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
Discussion
Backyard foamie

Hey guys-

just wanting some advice from the foamie guys as i am all balsa. I have a small backyard, and even smaller front yard, but would really like a really small foamy to fly when I dont have time to make it out to the flying field. Whats the best tiny 3D foamie out there? I am looking at the twisted hobbys crack pitts mini and the crack yak mini. any other choices in that size range or smaller that I should be looking at?

thanks!
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:50 AM
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Jan 2013
283 Posts
Well on this forum a lot of people are talking about griftworks... (I think thats what it's called) it looks just like twisted hobbies, but I believe price is a little cheaper. Not to sure on either companies as I own none of there products, but check em out. TH gets great reviews everywhere though.
RCstudent is offline Find More Posts by RCstudent
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:44 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,920 Posts
Both Fancy Foam And West Michigan Parkflyers have mini 3D planes.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Aug 26, 2013, 02:15 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,130 Posts
I scratch built a Mini 22" foamie plane a few years ago. It works really well in more confined spaces once you dial it in some and get used to it.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=mini+3d

earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:45 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Pick anything from Twisted Hobbys. Just choose a size and you can't go wrong, they are all good. :-)

For a small backyard flyer I might choose the Crack Yak or Laser.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:04 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Would and ultra micro be any good for this?

I have a crack yak, but it needs a bal lfield space for me to fly it. No way would that work in my yard.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:33 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
The ultra micros have a heavier wing loading and need to fly faster as a result so they are not a good bet for a small yard. Other ultra micros are so light that they don't fly well outside.

What size is your yard and how much flying experience do you have? The Crack Yak can fly in rather confined spaces with appropriate skill and control surface throws. It sounds like you need something with low loading that flies rather slowly. For the most part this puts you in depron foam plane but these break somewhat easier than epp planes like the Crack Yak and other epp planes. For this reason, it sounds like you need to fly your Crack Yak in a space a little bigger than your yard until your skills progress to the point where you can fly in a more confined area.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:35 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
My yard is small. I mean, I could do it, but it wouldn't be much fun.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:38 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
There must be an open area not that far away. Even a field perhaps. You really don't need short grass to land the most epp planes. You can just belly land them in taller grass with no problem.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:46 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
I do. But, being a software engineer, I get really lazy sometimes, and don't wanna drive to the park across the creek to fly.

No, really this is more about wind. If I can fly in the cul de sac then I'll have 70' of trees keeping the 15mph winds at bay. If I go to the park, it's open and it's often too windy to fly the crack yak (and the layering, ugh).
Old Aug 29, 2013, 08:58 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
If wind is the issue in the more open areas then I would actually recommend one of the Eflite ultra micro plane WITH AS3X. I have the umx Yak and routinely fly it in winds of 10 to 15 mph. The AS3X really does work and dampens the effect of wind.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:41 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
That's what I was thinking. They have a few now, but I know nothing about the differences between the beast, sbach, or yak. Any thoughts on that?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:46 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
... wrong thread
Last edited by jtaylor996; Aug 29, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 09:55 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
Would and ultra micro be any good for this?

I have a crack yak, but it needs a bal lfield space for me to fly it. No way would that work in my yard.
I have a CY and I used to require a ball field too. Keep practicing. Now I can fly it just about anywhere. My front yard has a grass patch about as big as a small-ish swimming pool and I can fly there now. It's a very constrained space with hazards on every side from trees, to two story roof, to stairs. And I don't just hover. I do actually fly (I land by catching it). Three months ago the thought of flying there would have seemed insane to me.

Last weekend I went to a park with a larger plane but the ball field was occupied so I got out the CY and went flying in a grassy area covered with large trees (no more than a few open feet between the branches). I just wove the CY around the trunks of the trees, under the canopy of branches, through the covered picnic table area (empty), under the jungle gym (also empty) and back to myself. It was a fun obstacle course and I spent an hour flying the CY through it at a walking speed. To be clear, I'm not talking about hovering, obviously you can fly in a closet if you're only hovering. I was flying mostly level with occasional partial harriers (nose slightly up) but just in tight spots or doing a 180 around a tree trunk. Just keep working on the skills. I now believe these kinds of planes can fly just about anywhere.

Edit: There is a video I saw a while back of a teenager flying a CY around his tiny back yard, under tables, through doorways and more. I can't find it now but it was some crazy stuff. I think he was somewhere in Europe. At the time I thought "Maybe the gravity is different there :-)" I'm not as good as he is but I'm getting closer.
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Last edited by Markran; Aug 29, 2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:27 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2013
178 Posts
Mark,,,, we are just more talented in Europe

As Usual Spin is right, so often people think they need a small plane to fly in a small place, when in actual fact, it is wrong thinking. It is the 'control-ability' that is desired in a small place and this often comes with a slightly bigger plane. Becoz of the wing loading, but also becoz proportionally surfaces/controls to weight/power is much better.
OP asked 'What's the best tiny 3D Foamie out there'? Well,, in my opinion,,, the best is 'Lounge'. There are plans of it on this site, i think the model even uses standard gear if i remember right :-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post25815932

Mark,,,, we are just more talented in Europe

As Usual Spin is right, so often people think they need a small plane to fly in a small place, when in actual fact, it is wrong thinking. It is the 'control-ability' that is desired in a small place and this often comes with a slightly bigger plane. Becoz of the wing loading, but also becoz proportionally surfaces/controls to weight/power is much better.
OP asked 'What's the best tiny 3D Foamie out there'? Well,, in my opinion,,, the best is 'Lounge'. There are plans of it on this site, i think the model even uses standard gear if i remember right :-
Lounge Walk Around showing Set Up and Quick Flight (4 min 23 sec)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post25815932
Die Hard is offline Find More Posts by Die Hard
Closed Thread