SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:30 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Question
Using grey primer before paint.

Hello Guys,

I've got most of my Ercoupe covered and I'm about ready to paint. I'm using Krylon canned spray paint, one of my colors is a bright, light, lime green. I painted my ailerons today ,just to see what the color looks like. I'm noticing that this light paint is not covering the darker brown wood streaks in my balsa. Should I give the whole ready to paint wing panels and fuslage a light coat or two of primer before the Krylon?

If primer is the answer any suggestions on a good sandable primer that Krlon will go over with no problems.

Heres a picture, I think you may be able to see the stripes under the paint in it. This is after about 3 coats of paint.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:40 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,644 Posts
Bill,

Back in the days when I painted a lot of my Pylon racers, I used K&B white primer. I found that it took a lot less paint if you had a nice white or gray surface to start with. My first heavy coat of primer was mostly sanded off with only the holes or imperfections having primer on them, then I would shoot another coat on to get a nice white surface to start painting. I can't give much help on Krylon primer but I know I have used either Lrylon or Rustoleum with good results....

Denny
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:52 PM
United Kingdom, England, Wigan
Joined Jul 2011
761 Posts
Bill
I always use white primer for light bright colours.. the white primer really keeps the colours bright..

just try spraying a couple of samples with say a bright red.. the difference between the one sprayed on grey and white primers will be amazing

David
how much is online now Find More Posts by how much
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:41 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,832 Posts
I would go with white too. It will take a few coats of primer to cover, but it will only take a light coat of color paint. I think I would go with a lacquer product like Plasticote or Duplicolor from the auto parts store as your primer.
I really don't like the new Krylon enamel formula, but it's usable. Just be sure to follow the recoating instructions to the letter.

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:49 PM
FICKLE FLYER
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,237 Posts
Krylon has a flat white primer that covers really well.
tlh101 is offline Find More Posts by tlh101
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:54 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh101 View Post
Ditto..also Rustoleum has a new paint at Home Depot that is better than Krylon. Painters Touch/Ultra Cover. High pigmentation. Besides, flat colors always have higher pigments. I also use aluminum base first, to mask wood colors changes.

Fuzz
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:14 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh101 View Post
Yup, and it works great. I have used it a lot. For colours such as red, yellow, and light green, you really need a white primer so that the colour comes out true.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:25 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Thanks guys white it will be, silly question maybe, but I assume I prime everything includeing the open area polyspan covered areas that I already have about 3-4 coats of clear lacquer on.

Bill
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:29 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smudge View Post
Thanks guys white it will be, silly question maybe, but I assume I prime everything includeing the open area polyspan covered areas that I already have about 3-4 coats of clear lacquer on.

Bill
Yes, everything gets primer. For a super smooth finish, apply a few light coats. Don't go heavy or you will get runs. Sand lightly between coats with 600 grit paper. Don't go any coarser, or you run the risk of raising the dreaded "Frizzies" on the polyspan should you happen to sand through the primer.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:52 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,534 Posts
Bondo makes a spray primer that has good filling properties and is cheap at about $5 per can. It comes in gray, white, black, and ruddy brown. I get it down the street at my local Ace Hardware. Regarding base coats I like silver base coat. Silver generally covers very well so one thin coat is all that is necessary to provide an even and light colored base for your colors.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:59 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,743 Posts
I agree. The auto primers that are "filler" type are best for me. Sands to a really nice finish. I use white, grey or black depending on final color.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:19 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,440 Posts
The primers that fill are also the heaviest unless you do a lot of sanding. On top of Polyspan, lots of sanding is not a good idea. I'd stick to the white Krylon in this particular case. It does not fill much, but will provide a good white base for colour.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:12 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,764 Posts
+1 on the Krylon flat white primer. I've used it several times with good results.

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:34 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I got a couple of cans of Duplicolor sandable white lacquer based primer today.

Two light coats and the wing panels and fuse look great, going to let them dry and go with my colored paint after some light sanding. The Duplicolor fills but doesnt seem to be too heavy, has a nice flat finish.

I'll post some pics after I get the colored paint on.

Bill

Bill