SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:11 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Poll
keep gas engine or go electric?

Hi all , new to the forum longtime fan of r/c cars and boats .I came upon a box of 10 gas engines from a o.k. cub diesel to o.s. fs -61 .I was considering keeping either the o.s. fs61 or the o.p.s. speed 60 spa rca . but it has been suggested since i am new to planes that I go electric . I guess what i m asking is is it feasible to build a plane with one of these engines and operate it without a lot of esheadache for a beginner or would it be more enjoyable after some experience with an easier to operate model . and what could I expectto pay for a nice electric. as well as what can i get for these 2 engines if i decide to sell them. thanks in advance for your help.
poppalarry is offline Find More Posts by poppalarry
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:08 AM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppalarry View Post
Hi all , new to the forum longtime fan of r/c cars and boats .I came upon a box of 10 gas engines from a o.k. cub diesel to o.s. fs -61 .I was considering keeping either the o.s. fs61 or the o.p.s. speed 60 spa rca . but it has been suggested since i am new to planes that I go electric . I guess what i m asking is is it feasible to build a plane with one of these engines and operate it without a lot of esheadache for a beginner or would it be more enjoyable after some experience with an easier to operate model . and what could I expectto pay for a nice electric. as well as what can i get for these 2 engines if i decide to sell them. thanks in advance for your help.

OK now, if you were to ask this question to the electric forum, I bet they'd all tell you to get rid of them and go electric.

In the fuel forum most of us will tell you to go glow/gas or what ever.

Whats wrong about having both? It's up to you and in this hobby you have this freedom that's called "choice."

Pete
Oberst is offline Find More Posts by Oberst
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:34 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,140 Posts
Poppalarry, I think those are glow engines, not gas. There is quite a difference between gasoline, diesel and glow.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:56 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,334 Posts
Which ever you do, I think the chance of success has more to do with whether you hook up with a club and get someone experienced to help than whether you go glow or electric.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Poppalarry, I think those are glow engines, not gas. There is quite a difference between gasoline, diesel and glow.
you are correct they are glow plug engines and the one is a diesel. thanks for the correction .like i said i am new to these.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:21 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,417 Posts
GAS V's ELECTRIC!

the age old questioin sense the 80's and before!

first of all, what kinda cars and boats did you run, nitro or electric? do you allready have the gear ta run nitro engines? or chargers ta charge batts?

now I've seen some electrics stay in the air for a long time, so the debate of how long they fly is moot!

so now where down ta plug and fly with electric, or fuel, start and fly with nitro! which brings it all back ta personal prefrence, I fly electric ducted fans, and electric helicoptors, and nitro and just getting started in gas large scale airplanes!

so to start with, one does not fly better or easier then the other, yes you hafta tune a internal combustion engine, but you also hafta adjust the electronic speed controller, I personaly like the smell of nitro, and don't mind the mess, yes electrics are easier ta keep clean!

so it's all in what YOU prefer, sense you have the os fs 61, "great engine" I would get a nice 60" trainer and load up that 61 in it and go!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
GAS V's ELECTRIC!

the age old questioin sense the 80's and before!

first of all, what kinda cars and boats did you run, nitro or electric? do you allready have the gear ta run nitro engines? or chargers ta charge batts?

now I've seen some electrics stay in the air for a long time, so the debate of how long they fly is moot!

so now where down ta plug and fly with electric, or fuel, start and fly with nitro! which brings it all back ta personal prefrence, I fly electric ducted fans, and electric helicoptors, and nitro and just getting started in gas large scale airplanes!

so to start with, one does not fly better or easier then the other, yes you hafta tune a internal combustion engine, but you also hafta adjust the electronic speed controller, I personaly like the smell of nitro, and don't mind the mess, yes electrics are easier ta keep clean!

so it's all in what YOU prefer, sense you have the os fs 61, "great engine" I would get a nice 60" trainer and load up that 61 in it and go!
thanks for the perspective I am kinda leaning toward the 61 fs I have listened to them running and seen them fly like the sound. and parts are still available. will let you all know
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:11 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
Yay, another grease monkey joins the ranks!
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
Yay, another grease monkey joins the ranks!
allright guys I did it . I listed the O.P.S. 60 SPEED SPA RCA ON EBAY with the other motors and am keeping the O.S. fs-61 . I am sure I will be bending your ears for advice again . thanks to you all for taking the time to help with your different perspectives . P.S. I am wondering what would be a good trainer for this engine any suggestions.thanks again
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,363 Posts
That size is out of my area of knowlege, so if you don't get enough responses, you could start a new thread in the Fuel Airplanes forum.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,669 Posts
From another point of view. One of my students was all electric, but in spring here the winds can be quite high and the electric students stand down around 10mph. The glow guys fly up to about 18mph. I let my student fly my hobbistar 60 and he noticed right away how much more stable it was. It is also quite a bit bigger than the alpha 450 he was flying. A couple of weeks later he shows up with a sig kadet senior with a ST.90 on it. He gets more flying time in now. However, he'll probably go back to electric later on.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
I have always been a glow/nitro flyer but I can definitely appreciate the newer electric stuff. Lot's of power and a LOT less mess but dang I just can't get used to the lack of noise!

I just love the sound and feel of "horsepower" as opposed to amps/watts etc. Also love the smell of nitro and don't mind the extra 5 minutes of clean-up involved with "slimers"...

The OS 61 is an awesome motor and will give you unlimited possibilities. Sounds like your new to airplanes? If so then you gotta check out the Hobbistar 60 MKIII trainer. I'm currently building one and it's as good as it gets for a 60 size trainer. Good luck!
flyboy9994 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy9994
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:03 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,417 Posts
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...rainer-HAN2460

I'm no advocate for hanger nine, ut they seem ta be ok, and that 61fs would be great on something like the alpha 40

or if ya wanna build, then any of the 46 size trainers would be a great place ta start!

can check out ashleys thread in the fuel section, great build by a duaghter/father

welcome ta a new frontier! the sky is not the limit!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
I have had really good luck with Hangar 9 ARF's and the Alpha 40 would be great for that 61fs. Disregard my advice above about the Hobbistar 60 as the 61fs is definitely more suited to a 40 size airplane.

And yes, definitely check out the Ashley daughter/father build if you get a chance.
flyboy9994 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy9994
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:26 AM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
I like Hanger 9 over all when it comes to ARF aircraft, even though a few planes they've produced were flops in my opinion.

On a personal note however, I became a little cranky about Hanger 9 when they stopped producing the Camel and Fokker DVII. But again that's just me.

The 61FS would be great for the Hanger 9 .40 Cub in my opinion, or any ARF that was designed for a .40 size glow engine basicly what Flyboy9994 stated.

Pete
Oberst is offline Find More Posts by Oberst