HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2014, 11:10 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,912 Posts
I have to agree about the lionpower lipos. I've just been trying the 900mah 3S and at first looking at the battery I thought, no way this is going to be as good as my Giant power 50C packs and zippy compact 35C (based on it's size), but by the end of the second flight I was very impressed. End of flight internal resistance was as good as the 50C packs (less than 10 per cell, which for a small capacity lipo is very good).
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 01:03 PM
Pine Island, MN
Joined Jul 2009
48 Posts
After reading countless setup ideas, binding instructions firmware upgrades and downgrades and dealing with screwy mixed up channel signals my ZYX met with the jaws of my big channel lock pliers. Mine was in a bad crash before I received it so it might have been damaged. Might try another one but for now I'll stick with the 3GX.

Dallas
Dallas101 is offline Find More Posts by Dallas101
Old Oct 05, 2014, 02:10 PM
want to fly the big one please
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Feb 2013
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas101 View Post
After reading countless setup ideas, binding instructions firmware upgrades and downgrades and dealing with screwy mixed up channel signals my ZYX met with the jaws of my big channel lock pliers. Mine was in a bad crash before I received it so it might have been damaged. Might try another one but for now I'll stick with the 3GX.

Dallas
and now for cremation ceremony,
you can set it on top of a bad lipo, hook up some excess juice
(I use car charger at full rate, takes only couple minutes )
and watch the show........hats off offcourse
psychlic is offline Find More Posts by psychlic
Old Oct 06, 2014, 12:49 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,290 Posts
I have a 3GX for sale. 60 bucks.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Oct 08, 2014, 07:38 AM
Joined Oct 2008
202 Posts
using the zyx-s on a tarot 450 using hitechs 65hb servo ....been having an issue in FFF when the heli seems to be flying like its going over waves ireduced the gain on the main rotor roll and pitch ....even down to 10 but it still seems to do this....any ideas what else this could be
DARKANGEL1 is online now Find More Posts by DARKANGEL1
Old Oct 09, 2014, 01:56 PM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,224 Posts
Hi Guys, need some more help.

Fitting a ZYX-S2 to a 500GT.
Downloaded the correct software, gone through the set up procedure, but I am getting nothing from the controls.
Wonder if there is some stage I am missing.
Only things I notice are these.
When changing or loading a file on my old ZYX-S software there is a Blue light in the usb plug which only shows when information is being transferred, the Blue light on the s2 seems to be on continuously, but flashes when information is being transferred.
Is this normal?
Also on my ZYX-S set up, if I want to save my config file, the software will prompt me that the file already exists, and asks if I want to overwrite it.
This does not happen with the S2 software.
Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks

BL
Border Lord is offline Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old Oct 11, 2014, 05:11 PM
United States, NC, Apex
Joined Sep 2013
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Hi Guys, need some more help.

Fitting a ZYX-S2 to a 500GT.
Downloaded the correct software, gone through the set up procedure, but I am getting nothing from the controls.
Wonder if there is some stage I am missing.
I have setup only 1 ZYX-S2 but do have 4 ZYX-S, so I remember some. Best I remember (but I may confuse S/S2):

In the PC software setup->monitor screen, do the controls move correctly? You need to get this working first. This is mainly affected by receiver type.

Is receiver type set correctly in the setup->Installation - Receiver Type?
After setting receiver type (and servo type), reboot the ZYX with receiver attached. It will light all 3 lights while looking for a receiver. Then go through all 3 flashing while the gyros initialize. Then it should go solid red for normal mode, or solid blue for rate mode.

Odd thing for me is using FrSky XR4 and XR6 receivers, all of our ZYX-S are hocked up SBUS and working fine. I could never get the ZYX-S2 connected SBUS to either the X4R or X6R, so I have a X6R connected to it through standard servo wires.
Are you connecting Rx by SBUS, std servo wires, or Spectrum protocol (DSM?)?

Quote:
Only things I notice are these.
When changing or loading a file on my old ZYX-S software there is a Blue light in the usb plug which only shows when information is being transferred, the Blue light on the s2 seems to be on continuously, but flashes when information is being transferred.
Is this normal?
Blue light on continuously on the ZYX unit itself, I think indicates Rate Mode. I'm not sure about lights during data transfer.

Quote:
Also on my ZYX-S set up, if I want to save my config file, the software will prompt me that the file already exists, and asks if I want to overwrite it.
This does not happen with the S2 software.
Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks

BL
No it does not make sense, but I think that's the way it is. I mainly used John's sw for the ZYX-S, and the Tarot sw for the ZYX-S2.
CBR240 is offline Find More Posts by CBR240
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:35 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
I have to agree about the lionpower lipos. I've just been trying the 900mah 3S and at first looking at the battery I thought, no way this is going to be as good as my Giant power 50C packs and zippy compact 35C (based on it's size), but by the end of the second flight I was very impressed. End of flight internal resistance was as good as the 50C packs (less than 10 per cell, which for a small capacity lipo is very good).
yeah, it is really hard to beleive these batts are for real, especially for the money,
until actually try them.
I think one of the best values AND performance on batts at present.

what C rating are those LP- 3S 900mah batts?
are you using them for rx on a big bird?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:17 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlic View Post
yeah, it is really hard to beleive these batts are for real, especially for the money,
until actually try them.
I think one of the best values AND performance on batts at present.

what C rating are those LP- 3S 900mah batts?
are you using them for rx on a big bird?
25C on a Trex 250 converted to DFC with a ZYX.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:18 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
25C on a Trex 250 converted to DFC with a ZYX.
Nice! that's an even better test than an rx.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 07:54 AM
United States, NC, Apex
Joined Sep 2013
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR240 View Post

Odd thing for me is using FrSky XR4 and XR6 receivers, all of our ZYX-S are hocked up SBUS and are working fine. I could never get the ZYX-S2 connected SBUS to either the X4R or X6R, so I have a X6R connected to it through standard servo wires.

I finally noticed in the S2 configuration sw, that the ZYX-S2 uses a standard servo cable for the SBUS connection. I had not noticed that (was trying to use one of the ZYX SBUS cables I have for ZYX-S s). That should resolve my only issue with the ZYX-S2.

We have 3 TREX 250s and one 450L with ZYX-S. This 450 being the first I'd setup with a ZYX-S2 I was quite concerned that the first flight would be,,, "interesting". But had my first two flights with the new 450 and the ZYX-S2 this past Sunday and it flew perfectly from the first flight. I need to switch it to SBUS, now I understand the change in SBUS cable between ZYX-S and ZYX-S2.

BTW - beenflying - thanks for this thread. It got me through my first 250s with ZYX-S last year. It's been a great reference.
CBR240 is offline Find More Posts by CBR240
Old Oct 14, 2014, 08:54 AM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,224 Posts
Quote:
I have setup only 1 ZYX-S2 but do have 4 ZYX-S, so I remember some. Best I remember (but I may confuse S/S2):

In the PC software setup->monitor screen, do the controls move correctly? You need to get this working first. This is mainly affected by receiver type.

Is receiver type set correctly in the setup->Installation - Receiver Type?
After setting receiver type (and servo type), reboot the ZYX with receiver attached. It will light all 3 lights while looking for a receiver. Then go through all 3 flashing while the gyros initialize. Then it should go solid red for normal mode, or solid blue for rate mode.

Odd thing for me is using FrSky XR4 and XR6 receivers, all of our ZYX-S are hocked up SBUS and working fine. I could never get the ZYX-S2 connected SBUS to either the X4R or X6R, so I have a X6R connected to it through standard servo wires.
Are you connecting Rx by SBUS, std servo wires, or Spectrum protocol (DSM?)?

Blue light on continuously on the ZYX unit itself, I think indicates Rate Mode. I'm not sure about lights during data transfer.

No it does not make sense, but I think that's the way it is. I mainly used John's sw for the ZYX-S, and the Tarot sw for the ZYX-S2.
Hi CBR, thanks for your help.

1) Controls all move correctly on monitor screen. All controls set to 100% at full deflection and 0 at centre.

2) Receiver set up correctly. Power up response from gyro is exactly as expected. Three solid, three flashing, solid red or blue, depending on gyro gain switch.

3) I am using a JR 35Mhz receiver, connected by separate servo wires.

4) Blue light I mentioned is on the usb dongle, not the unit. On my ZYX-S units, this blue light indicates that data is being transferred, and goes out once transfer is complete.
On my S2, this blue light is on all the time, and flickers when data is being transferred.
Can any other S2 user confirm this is correct?

5) As I understand it, John's software is only for the S, not the S2.
I have downloaded V1.1 from Tarot website and seems to be working ok.

In fact, everything is fine except no response from the servos. I did think there might be a wiring problem and the servos weren't getting power. I moved the servo arms off centre by hand, but as soon as I powered up the arms returned to middle, so it's not that.

Did wonder whether an upgrade might help. The upgrade button on the software links you to Tarot website, unfortunately in Chinese.
English website lists not upgrades for the S2 at all.

Can't help feeling it's something simple I am missing. Either that or I have a faulty unit. Not prepared to accept that yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

BL
Border Lord is offline Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:56 PM
AMA Member # 458448
United States, MA, ALLSTON
Joined May 2011
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Hi CBR, thanks for your help.

1) Controls all move correctly on monitor screen. All controls set to 100% at full deflection and 0 at centre.

2) Receiver set up correctly. Power up response from gyro is exactly as expected. Three solid, three flashing, solid red or blue, depending on gyro gain switch.

3) I am using a JR 35Mhz receiver, connected by separate servo wires.

4) Blue light I mentioned is on the usb dongle, not the unit. On my ZYX-S units, this blue light indicates that data is being transferred, and goes out once transfer is complete.
On my S2, this blue light is on all the time, and flickers when data is being transferred.
Can any other S2 user confirm this is correct?

5) As I understand it, John's software is only for the S, not the S2.
I have downloaded V1.1 from Tarot website and seems to be working ok.

In fact, everything is fine except no response from the servos. I did think there might be a wiring problem and the servos weren't getting power. I moved the servo arms off centre by hand, but as soon as I powered up the arms returned to middle, so it's not that.

Did wonder whether an upgrade might help. The upgrade button on the software links you to Tarot website, unfortunately in Chinese.
English website lists not upgrades for the S2 at all.

Can't help feeling it's something simple I am missing. Either that or I have a faulty unit. Not prepared to accept that yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

BL
As far as I know, there is not firmware upgrade for S2. Tarot had a FBL software update to correct a minor issue in the setup menu. Tarot is not working on FBL controller for the time being.
lcc014 is offline Find More Posts by lcc014
Old Oct 14, 2014, 07:31 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,912 Posts
Quote:
I finally noticed in the S2 configuration sw, that the ZYX-S2 uses a standard servo cable for the SBUS connection. I had not noticed that (was trying to use one of the ZYX SBUS cables I have for ZYX-S s). That should resolve my only issue with the ZYX-S2.

We have 3 TREX 250s and one 450L with ZYX-S. This 450 being the first I'd setup with a ZYX-S2 I was quite concerned that the first flight would be,,, "interesting". But had my first two flights with the new 450 and the ZYX-S2 this past Sunday and it flew perfectly from the first flight. I need to switch it to SBUS, now I understand the change in SBUS cable between ZYX-S and ZYX-S2.

BTW - beenflying - thanks for this thread. It got me through my first 250s with ZYX-S last year. It's been a great reference.
I'm glad it helped. I still remember programming my first ZYX with the Tx, which was the only programming method to start with. Setting number values was a nightmare. My 250 still flew way better than it did with the flybar, in fact it transformed it. It's still flying now with the same ZYX, but lots of parts around it have been changed. Fitting the DS95i on the tail, was the best thing I ever did to it.

Thanks also to everyone else that has and will contribute to this thread.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 09:55 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,912 Posts
I just wanted to bring up post # 12,000