HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:20 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJohnson View Post
If I wanted Flaps on a glider, I would have picked up something for competition flying, not sport flying........

compared to the Radian:
The Phoenix offers an under cambered wing for better glide performance.
The Phoenix has more room for more choices of battery packs and motors
The Phoenix does not use a proprietary plug that most change out.
The Phoenix does not require you to bring a tool box to the field.

Each product is going to have its strong point.

I just happen to enjoy the Phoenix.
Glad you do.

OTOH, I enjoy getting more performance bang for my buck. It's just a matter of choice; you have yours, I have mine.

FWIW: flaps are not restricted to competition sailplanes only. I can crow and/or flap my way out of a wild thermal with the Radian Pro, something I can't do with the flap-less original Radian and I am sure something that applies to the Phoenix II as well.

Hobby People has the RTF Phoenix II on sale through April 30th @ $199.99, a $40 savings over the regular price & a bargain for anyone wishing to give motorized gliders a shot. http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-4g-radio.html At that price, if I didn't already have two Radians, a Bird of Time and a Sergio I would get me one.

BTW, I enjoyed watching both videos.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:38 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,035 Posts
No problem, happy to share the video. I have a Slope video coming soon. I had a bit of fun the other day flying with pelicans at the local beach. Just having way too much fun with my flying ice chest. HA!

LOL yeah, I'm packed with planes too. I have 2 scratch built woodie RES 2 meter, sailplanes. Sadly though it has been a year since I have flown them.

The Bird of Time is a nice airplane. One I have yet to build.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:47 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
If you have a higher end Airtronics radio you can rebind the Phoenix II and program in flaps and spoilers. Or you can switch out the receiver to one compatible with your existing radio and do the same thing. Just sayin'

I plan to do it with mine, as soon as I get everything else finished up in time for Joe Nall. I did spray tint my canopy, looks pretty cool!
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:51 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
On sale as part of their "blowout".

http://www.hobbypeople.net/

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-4g-radio.html
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:44 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qban_flyer View Post
Glad you do.

OTOH, I enjoy getting more performance bang for my buck. It's just a matter of choice; you have yours, I have mine.

FWIW: flaps are not restricted to competition sailplanes only. I can crow and/or flap my way out of a wild thermal with the Radian Pro, something I can't do with the flap-less original Radian and I am sure something that applies to the Phoenix II as well.

Hobby People has the RTF Phoenix II on sale through April 30th @ $199.99, a $40 savings over the regular price & a bargain for anyone wishing to give motorized gliders a shot. http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-4g-radio.html At that price, if I didn't already have two Radians, a Bird of Time and a Sergio I would get me one.

BTW, I enjoyed watching both videos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
I think it will be safe to assume that you did not see the link I provided on my reply to TimJohnson, or my mention of the same sale there.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:59 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
If you have a higher end Airtronics radio you can rebind the Phoenix II and program in flaps and spoilers. Or you can switch out the receiver to one compatible with your existing radio and do the same thing. Just sayin'

I plan to do it with mine, as soon as I get everything else finished up in time for Joe Nall. I did spray tint my canopy, looks pretty cool!
Unfortunately, one can't do such a mix on the Phoenix II since it doesn't have flaps. All one could do with it is to dial in a few degrees of reflex to the ailerons in order to "kill" some of the lift and add speed to its glide. If the ailerons were full span then things would be different.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:08 PM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,035 Posts
Well you could program in Flaperons if you really wanted to.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:21 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
I think it will be safe to assume that you did not see the link I provided on my reply to TimJohnson, or my mention of the same sale there.
Yes, safe to say. Sorry. Plus, you did a much better job of advertising it than I did.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:01 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately, one can't do such a mix on the Phoenix II since it doesn't have flaps. All one could do with it is to dial in a few degrees of reflex to the ailerons in order to "kill" some of the lift and add speed to its glide. If the ailerons were full span then things would be different.
I guess technically they would be spoilerons and flaperons, but you get the picture. There is much mixing still to be had with "just" ailerons.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2011, 04:38 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1413289

This was posted in the Big Sky Longest Duration contest thread:

Your Name - TimJohnson
Model: Phase 3 Phoenix II
Thermal or Slope: Slope
Date and Time of flight: April 24, 2011 3:45pm
Duration of flight: 1:18:44
Comments Second flight was 24 minutes, It was cut short due to TX Batteries.

Nice flight Tim
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Apr 27, 2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 05:49 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molenjin View Post
Foam is the last nail in the coffin for creative modeling. The fast-food industry will kill all the craftsmanship. Indeed, why baking a cake when you can buy one around the corner? Faster, cheaper, easier. Looks cool, flies like a brick, who cares..
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1413289

This was posted in the Big Sky Longest Duration contest thread:

Your Name - TimJohnson
Model: Phase 3 Phoenix II
Thermal or Slope: Slope
Date and Time of flight: April 24, 2011 3:45pm
Duration of flight: 1:18:44
Comments Second flight was 24 minutes, It was cut short due to TX Batteries.

Nice flight Tim
I suppose the stats posted above will put to rest molenjin's argument characterizing "foamies" as "cool looking flying bricks"...
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:47 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by molenjin View Post
Foam is the last nail in the coffin for creative modeling. The fast-food industry will kill all the craftsmanship. Indeed, why baking a cake when you can buy one around the corner? Faster, cheaper, easier. Looks cool, flies like a brick, who cares..
I do have to agree with you on this. It allows people into the hobby who are not interested in buildling their first plane or in picking up the splinters of their first mistakes. People like that should not be allowed to fly. I bet they had training wheels on their 2 wheelers too.

Foam planes tend to lead to faster success and a much faster and deeper engagement in the hobby. Where is the pain and the suffering that is necessary to enjoy the hobby. How will they ever learn to fly properly if they have not had to pick up splinters in the field? I bet these guys don't even bring body ... ahh ... trash bags with them to deal with bad landings.

Naturally a person who starts on a foam plane will never fly anything else. I believe there is a rule against people who own foam planes from owning anyting else. I know I had to get a special permit from the AMA to own composite planes and to build wood kits. Something about foam destroying my creative abilities. I found the written test quite challenging.

Alas, having foam planes that are as light or lighter than their wood counter parts will destroy the hobby. It is sad, but we will have to accept it. Progress, you know.

Popcorn anyone? But let me warn you, I did not grow the corn myself. The popcorn came from a bag that I put in the microwave.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Apr 27, 2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:01 AM
Serbia Moderator
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2006
787 Posts
Aeajr, you've got it.
molenjin is offline Find More Posts by molenjin
Last edited by molenjin; Apr 27, 2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:24 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Take heart, molenjin, you have been thoroughly duped.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:37 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I do have to agree with you on this. It allows people into the hobby who are not interested in buildling their first plane or in picking up the splinters of their first mistakes. People like that should not be allowed to fly. I bet they had training wheels on their 2 wheelers too.

Foam planes tend to lead to faster success and a much faster and deeper engagement in the hobby. Where is the pain and the suffering that is necessary to enjoy the hobby. How will they ever learn to fly properly if they have not had to pick up splinters in the field? I bet these guys don't even bring body ... ahh ... trash bags with them to deal with bad landings.

Naturally a person who starts on a foam plane will never fly anything else. I believe there is a rule against people who own foam planes from owning anyting else. I know I had to get a special permit from the AMA to own composite planes and to build wood kits. Something about foam destroying my creative abilities. I found the written test quite challenging.

Alas, having foam planes that are as light or lighter than their wood counter parts will destroy the hobby. It is sad, but we will have to accept it. Progress, you know.

Popcorn anyone? But let me warn you, I did not grow the corn myself. The popcorn came from a bag that I put in the microwave.
Now that right there is funny
RCG Plus Member