AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
Hmm won't let me view it

............te
Sorry–I just upgraded to Vimeo Plus and I see that I have some control over embedding. Should be viewable now.
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:56 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Fletcher View Post
My first solo flight-Diamond DA-20:

http://vimeo.com/26323329
That's a nice flight - congrats!

Just curious - don't you set the altimeter to zero? It was intersting watching the gages as you went around. Thanks!
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:10 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post

Just curious - don't you set the altimeter to zero? It was intersting watching the gages as you went around. Thanks!
Oh oh.....better reformat that card!

Should be set for ground level though, right?
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:28 PM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post

No. The altimeter is set to the current sea level pressure to show field elevation, 170 ft at that airport (rounded to 200.) That way all airplanes are flying in the same space. Imagine a flight that left from an airport at sea level and another at a field 500 above sea level both left with an altimeter set to zero. Without some baseline to share, they would be at different heights if flying at say 1,000 feet.

Pattern altitude is 1,000 feet at that field, so that's why I leveled off at 1,200. Pattern altitude plus field elevation.

I know what you mean. Why doesn't the altimeter read zero was my first thought too. It took me some time to wrap my head around that concept!
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:50 PM
Joined Mar 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Try connecting to the PC USB port, pushing the reset button, etc. Maybe even do to firmware flash or battery disconnect if all else fails. Whatever you do, don't trash-can it. I gladly accept all dead #11s for spare parts!

Hi Tom, and everyone else.

I re-opened the cam yesterday to check once again, and noticed that the battery has swelled up (case popped open after unscrewing). That obviously now needs replacing (I have ordered a spare from Diana @ hxelepro360), but does anyone know what the most common reason for failure of these cams is? I am hoping it is just the battery... but could the battery have damaged anything else?
drzen is offline Find More Posts by drzen
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:46 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzen View Post
Hi Tom, and everyone else.

I re-opened the cam yesterday to check once again, and noticed that the battery has swelled up (case popped open after unscrewing). That obviously now needs replacing (I have ordered a spare from Diana @ hxelepro360), but does anyone know what the most common reason for failure of these cams is? I am hoping it is just the battery... but could the battery have damaged anything else?
Swelling like that can occur to some degree as the lipos age, but over-discharge can do it prematurely, as can over-charging. But the battery's small protection circuit board should prevent both of those IF it functions properly. I doubt if they are highly accurate or reliable, though. The #11 also has a chage IC on the main circuit board as well to mange the charge.

I have quite a few flight power lipos that have puffed up just from aging.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:16 AM
Essex, United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2004
348 Posts
Jumpysticks and Berkie many thanks for the constructive comments, as to making the mounts for sale that would have to be for somebody with CNC, my machines are all manual and it took about 4 hours to make the prototype. If anybody wants to manufacture these please feel free, I'll even buy another myself if the price is right!
autoair is offline Find More Posts by autoair
Old Jul 13, 2011, 02:44 AM
Joined Mar 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Swelling like that can occur to some degree as the lipos age, but over-discharge can do it prematurely, as can over-charging. But the battery's small protection circuit board should prevent both of those IF it functions properly. I doubt if they are highly accurate or reliable, though. The #11 also has a chage IC on the main circuit board as well to mange the charge.

I have quite a few flight power lipos that have puffed up just from aging.

Thanks Tom. The cam has been used less than two months, so age is not to blame. The fall might have damaged the protection circuit, but I'm just speculating.

We'll see if replacing the battery revives the cam.

I also want to add, that dealing with Diana has been an absolute pleasure - she's been prompt, courteous, and accommodating of my request (I just ordered and got a great deal on a second cam with a spare battery for my dead cam).
drzen is offline Find More Posts by drzen
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:33 AM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Hi guys thanks for all your comments on the Micro SD Card ;-))
simonbryant is offline Find More Posts by simonbryant
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:28 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,007 Posts
Quote:
My first solo flight-Diamond DA-20:

http://vimeo.com/26323329
Whohoo!
Congratulations
Reminded me of my 1st solo - (in a glider) I remember the continuous (internal) check-lists being run as you go round and down.
Nicely judged turn off base onto finals, & great speed control all the way down. Now for the full ticket.....

I was surprised when I flew ( dual ) power in USA, that the altimeter was set at sea level, but it does mean you don't have to fiddle with the zero when landing away from home, just read the airfield hight from the map, do the maths once, and you are done.

Thanks for sharing your joy.
Mike

Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Last edited by empeabee; Jul 13, 2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: changed mat to map :(
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:11 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoair View Post
Jumpysticks and Berkie many thanks for the constructive comments, as to making the mounts for sale that would have to be for somebody with CNC, my machines are all manual and it took about 4 hours to make the prototype. If anybody wants to manufacture these please feel free, I'll even buy another myself if the price is right!
Another idea could be to design the mount with google sketchup (freeware) and use a service such as shapeways.com to make it for you. I have no experience with 3D printing, but I believe this could be a possibility.
There are very good tutorials on sketchup, and it's easy to learn.

Just a thought, and I don't know how expensive it would be...
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:22 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
Hi Tony,
Congrats on your solo and thanks for sharing

So you setting by the current the barometric pressure which should give you proper field altitude AGL correct? ...i.e. current BP is 2984? ...or is the new private pilot now only setting the altimeter by the rounding off the field altitude these days?
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index

Quote:
No. The altimeter is set to the current sea level pressure to show field elevation, 170 ft at that airport (rounded to 200.) That way all airplanes are flying in the same space. Imagine a flight that left from an airport at sea level and another at a field 500 above sea level both left with an altimeter set to zero. Without some baseline to share, they would be at different heights if flying at say 1,000 feet.

Pattern altitude is 1,000 feet at that field, so that's why I leveled off at 1,200. Pattern altitude plus field elevation.

I know what you mean. Why doesn't the altimeter read zero was my first thought too. It took me some time to wrap my head around that concept!
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:49 AM
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined May 2004
1,399 Posts
Hi when viewing back the .mov files what would give me the best picture quality out of watching it on my PC through VLC or converting it to something that i can watch on my HD TV?
simonbryant is offline Find More Posts by simonbryant
Closed Thread