HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by IBCrazy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:04 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Vova - You need to change the geometry of that Vee antenna. The short parallel run at the feedpoint acts as an impedance transformer and will increase the impedance of the Vee and distort the signal. You need to move the feedpoint forward so there is no parallel run in the line. Model it in 4NEC2 (free software) and you'll see what I mean.

-Alex
Alex, I ordered two of these but I am noob in it to so I dont really understand what do you mean "The short parallel run " sketch or pictures would help.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:46 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,449 Posts
Send the antennas to me. I will fix both of them for you and use the photos to write a tutorial on how to fix this. I can also tune them to resonance for you so they perfectly resonate where you plan to run them.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:05 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Send the antennas to me. I will fix both of them for you and use the photos to write a tutorial on how to fix this. I can also tune them to resonance for you so they perfectly resonate where you plan to run them.

-Alex
Now that right there is a really great, helpful, unselfish, AWESOME GUY!

Kudos!
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:18 PM
USA, VA, Warrenton
Joined May 2008
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex View Post

Kudos!
Yes he is. +1
FCAFlyer is offline Find More Posts by FCAFlyer
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:38 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex View Post

Kudos!
Yes, IBcrazy is a very helpful guy He just made me a inverted v antena and it works great also his blog is a wealth of information.

Thank you to IBcrazy and everyone else here on the fourms that have helped me .Today I made my first ever Fpv flight. All I an say is WOW what an increddible feeling when I slid those goggles down from my forehead it was very scary too. I only flew between 1/4 -1/2 of a mile away with a spotter but it was my first baby steps. I am very hooked now. tonight I am going to order an OSD with RTH
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:39 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Yep Alex is great
We all owe him a bunch
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:50 PM
USA, VA, Warrenton
Joined May 2008
128 Posts
I, too just used Alex's vee (900mHz) and, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow. So clean I said, "gee, I've get to get a better camera." You can see Alex's goes st. through with no parallel joining point in this pic at Readymaderc

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/bmz...ge.750x461.jpg
Old Feb 20, 2011, 03:36 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Oh Now I got it
Thx
Old Feb 20, 2011, 03:37 PM
Joined Mar 2005
134 Posts
Hi is there a place talking about FPV monitors?
If not should not there be a place letting the monitor ones know what all others are using?
pistaandrea is offline Find More Posts by pistaandrea
Old Feb 20, 2011, 05:43 PM
USA, VA, Warrenton
Joined May 2008
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistaandrea View Post
Hi is there a place talking about FPV monitors?
If not should not there be a place letting the monitor ones know what all others are using?
JettPilot (Mike) started a very useful thread; "Show Us Your Ground Station."

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1127491
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:21 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Yep Alex is great
We all owe him a bunch
Thanks for the kind compliments. You guys on here know me. I want everyone to have the best possible FPV experience. It just makes my day when someone on the community get their first ever FPV flight or finds a solution to a problem that has made the hobby difficult. My goal is to help all of you reach your goals.

-Alex
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:35 PM
Wannabe Engineer
Pennsylvania
Joined Feb 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
That plane should do fine, Although I don't believe the FRSky system will fit right in. There will be some hacking involved to do that. I do agree the the Easy Star might be a better first platform, though.

As for the Helical and Cloverleaf antennas you currently have 4 options:

1. Build them yourself per the following tutorials:
Helical antenna tutorial
Clverleaf antenna tutorial

2. Buy them pre built from me (or as kits). I have not officially launched the system yet, but have been sending out special orders.

3. Order them from Ready made RC. I just sent my first batch to them Friday, so they should have them in stock soon.

4. Have a fellow HAM build them for you or assist you. Most HAMs are quite helpful with beginning amateurs and often have experience with antenna construction.

-Alex
I am thinking that I like the Piper Cub a little better. Why do you think the Easy Star would be so much better? It is about the same price. Anyways, I noticed that the Easy Star uses the same Planet 5 radio as the Cub.

As far as the antennas, how much would it cost for you to build me a helical antenna (since you said that one got better range)? Also, how difficult would it be to install the FrSky system on a radio like that Planet 5 one? And one final question, if you go to the link for the FrSky system, it says it can be used with a 1 watt wifi booster for just $40. Will that really work?

Oh and one last thing: I totally agree with all the guys above. I was totally out of my depth and it's good to know that there's still some decent people out there willing to help out.
tbear2195 is offline Find More Posts by tbear2195
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:07 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbear2195 View Post
Why do you think the Easy Star would be so much better? It is about the same price. Anyways, I noticed that the Easy Star uses the same Planet 5 radio as the Cub.
It is more durable, aerodynamic (read more efficient) and upgradable.
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:17 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbear2195 View Post
As far as the antennas, how much would it cost for you to build me a helical antenna (since you said that one got better range)? Also, how difficult would it be to install the FrSky system on a radio like that Planet 5 one? And one final question, if you go to the link for the FrSky system, it says it can be used with a 1 watt wifi booster for just $40. Will that really work?
I cannot comment on the FrSky system. I fly 72MHz and a DragonLink. However the WiFi booster really does work. You can even couple it with an inexpensive patch antenna by getting an inexpensive IPX (U.FL) jumper cable.

PM sent on the equipment.

-Alex
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:26 PM
Wannabe Engineer
Pennsylvania
Joined Feb 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
It is more durable, aerodynamic (read more efficient) and upgradable.
Actually, now that I looked at it I might like it better. I don't like the looks as much, but I agree that it is more durable and if I am mounting a front camera it will give me a nice unobstructed view compared to always looking through a prop. Thanks for the advice.
tbear2195 is offline Find More Posts by tbear2195