SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined Jul 2011
69 Posts
How do you power goggles?photo please!))
andrew199936 is offline Find More Posts by andrew199936
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:48 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew199936 View Post
How do you power goggles?photo please!))
Seriously?

This thread is full of information about how to power your goggles!!

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION

for photos only you can go to the thread tools tap and click on show attachments in thread.
wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:04 PM
Always a noob
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
Hey guys, sorry for the noobish question, but I just took my completely stock Headplay unit out of storage to do some FPV, and while the liberator turns on fine with the blue lighted power button, there's no signal to the goggles themselves, i.e. they just don't turn on at all. Does anyone have any idea what I could try to debug this, or what could be causing it? Could it be a burnt fuse even though the power button lights up? I've never used a power source other than the stock adapter.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!
irodrigo is offline Find More Posts by irodrigo
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:42 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irodrigo View Post
Hey guys, sorry for the noobish question, but I just took my completely stock Headplay unit out of storage to do some FPV, and while the liberator turns on fine with the blue lighted power button, there's no signal to the goggles themselves, i.e. they just don't turn on at all. Does anyone have any idea what I could try to debug this, or what could be causing it? Could it be a burnt fuse even though the power button lights up? I've never used a power source other than the stock adapter.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Hi,
maybe the connector is broken ...

cu Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:13 PM
Always a noob
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
Hi,
maybe the connector is broken ...

cu Thomas
Thanks Thomas. I've tried wiggling the connector around as much as I could, and nothing happened. I did use a multimeter to check for continuity in the fuses and they seem fine. If anyone has any idea of how I could use the multimeter to check for other things that may be wrong I'd appreciate any guidance.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
876 Posts
I think mine did the same thing I got a new motherboard off rangevideo and its all working again! Fickle best these headplays but worth it! Get the liberator protector and power from a 2s lipo
On another note I'm about to order fpv plastics ski google kit, does anyone here were glasses and use the ski googles?? Do they work ok?
acky is online now Find More Posts by acky
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:00 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acky View Post
I think mine did the same thing I got a new motherboard off rangevideo and its all working again! Fickle best these headplays but worth it! Get the liberator protector and power from a 2s lipo
On another note I'm about to order fpv plastics ski google kit, does anyone here were glasses and use the ski googles?? Do they work ok?
Hi acky,

yes, works very well for me!
but only if the glasses have no frames from the 70ties
with the ski goggles the alignement of the headplays is always correct, because the nose is centering the goggles. you never have to re-correct the angle or the pupil-distance.

cu Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:07 PM
addicted rc'er
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Dec 2009
876 Posts
Sweet! No 70ties frames here!
Will put the order for the googles today
I've been using duck tape to block out the light works well but won't last long and it took awhile to do so that I didn't end up with tape stuck to my face!
acky is online now Find More Posts by acky
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:26 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Talk to Rob about goggle mods for glasses or go to his site
Goggles are great.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:45 PM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
905 Posts
I have the goggles and wear reading glasses. The edge where the hinge is touches the HP's. It doesn't hurt the viewing and perhaps helps by keeping the HP lenses at a fixed distance from my glasses so the focus is spot on.

Tom
tom3holer is offline Find More Posts by tom3holer
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:08 AM
Always a noob
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acky View Post
Thanks acky! Just ordered a new Liberator board.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
835 Posts
Has anyone used a VGA converter to reduce the lag and improve the color saturation of headplays? I get a little lag and the colors look washed out on my ntsc input.
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:38 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,118 Posts
O.K. I am confused (so what is new ) ,,but the thread starts out with using 3S on the head play ,, and then I started reading that you are using 2 S ???
I have checked the voltage from the hp charger and it is indeed 12 V ... why using 7.4 ?

Or I probably missed something in my fast reading of all 92 pages of this thread
But wanted to be subed to it anyhow as I have an hp unit recieved in a used hexa deal and like what I am seeing with it ... but want to do all the mods talked about here before using it a lot .
Thanks
Larry
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:22 PM
Opt
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2010
401 Posts
If anyone wants some spare goggles to play with/cut up/modify etc I have two spares
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1734446
Opt is offline Find More Posts by Opt
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:39 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap View Post
O.K. I am confused (so what is new ) ,,but the thread starts out with using 3S on the head play ,, and then I started reading that you are using 2 S ???
I have checked the voltage from the hp charger and it is indeed 12 V ... why using 7.4 ?

Or I probably missed something in my fast reading of all 92 pages of this thread
But wanted to be subed to it anyhow as I have an hp unit recieved in a used hexa deal and like what I am seeing with it ... but want to do all the mods talked about here before using it a lot .
Thanks
Larry
OK quick summary for you

some people started out using a 3s lipo directly powering the HPs through the main power jack.
Some people have had no issue at all with this set up some people have blown the onborad fuses due to in rush current.

Some people have figured out a way to use 3s with a resistor to limit the in rush current and some people, including me, used a voltage regulator limited to 12v and 1amp with no issue.

The original HP lipo battery was a 2s and hence people have figured out a way to connect a hobby lipo to the internal battery input wich is rated for 2s not 3s.
This seems to be teh safest way to not blow fuses but is more complicate.

Range video have released a liberator protector that is supplied with a neat little power board that plugs into the HP original battery bay which makes it very easy to connect a standard 2s lipo using the JST XH ballance plug.
nice and simple

SO

you can still use a 3s lipo to power the main unit but you have to limit the inrush current some how either with resistor or V Reg.

All the info is in this thread but i realise its not that easy to find.

hope that helps

Ben
wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer