HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:16 PM
Joined Apr 2009
34 Posts
Discussion
Typhoon electric by RCRCM build log and presentation

Coming soon...

With lots lots of pictures and information about this splendid glider.

A few info and photos first:

Since the original sailplane version has been very well received by the discerning flying community, we felt justified in taking the next logical to extend its performance to allow our amp addicts to have a stir. So we re-designed the fuselage to allow for some “grunt in the front”!

Probably not intended as a very first electric sailplane, the Typhoon does offer sparkling performance, but is an easy fly when thermalling. For experienced flyers, the plane is very agile, goes where it is told and generally handles like a dream.

Able to fly in almost any conditions and equipped with a full house complement of ailerons, rudder, elevator and flaps, plus the electrics, the Typhoon can perform leisurely aerobatics or be made into a hair-raising, jaw-aching rocket by opening up the power, yet it will slow down to hand-catch speed for landings.

Rudder and Elevator control servos are located in a well just behind the wing leaving the front end completely open for electrics, battery, motor installation etc.

Made from CNC generated moulds, and supplied with a full kit of small parts, Typhoon is constructed to the highest standards of fit and finish.

Typhoon is a real all-rounder, yet it will fit on the Parcel shelf of most cars.

Options include:
Wing/tail/fuselage protective bags
Wing wiring harness

Specifications:
Span: 2.0m
Length: 1.2m
Empty weight: 950g
Flying weight: 1400g
Wing Aerofoils: JH8 series 8%, 7.5%, 7% blended
Tail Aerofoil: SD8020

Also just to mention that you can order it with your own paint scheme..!!
(At a small additional cost)
Ghost_ is offline Find More Posts by Ghost_
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2010, 12:46 AM
Joined Apr 2009
34 Posts
Hello again guys..!!

Does anyone already own this bird to give us some feedback..?

I have never owned an RCRCM plane before so as the plane
is on the way waiting for the build to start I would like to hear your opinions about this company generally..!!

Thank you
Old Apr 01, 2010, 12:48 AM
Hambone the Impaler
Taiwan
Joined Nov 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_ View Post
Hello again guys..!!

Does anyone already own this bird to give us some feedback..?

I have never owned an RCRCM plane before so as the plane
is on the way waiting for the build to start I would like to hear your opinions about this company generally..!!

Thank you
Better not ask me then....hahaha

Cheers,

Enjoy the plane!

James.
Hambonetw is offline Find More Posts by Hambonetw
Old Apr 01, 2010, 01:00 AM
Joined Oct 2004
926 Posts
Ghost,

I have a few electric fuses on the way to go with slope typhoons over here. A friend is considering what set up to use but put a few questions to RCRCM and this is what details I now have from their test model.

- The motor: diameter 28mm, KV880.
- The prop we used for test is 12*8".
- Controller: Futaba
- Battery: Lipo battery 15C 2200mA 3S
- Spinner: the diameter 35mm, L=34mm,
- The diameter of nose cone: 35mm.
- The nose width: 44mm.
- The nose length: 300mm.

I was sent a few early pics of the test fuse.

Andrew
laanguy is offline Find More Posts by laanguy
Old Apr 01, 2010, 02:25 AM
Joined Apr 2009
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambonetw View Post
Better not ask me then....hahaha

Cheers,

Enjoy the plane!

James.
Hahaha.... Hello James i am Aggelos ok i won't ask...! The only thing i would like to ask is to design more electric sailplanes or electric versions for the planes you already have for guys like me that live in a country where the F3B,F3J etc categories does not exist..!!

@laanguy Hello and thanks for the info it's very helpful.About the motor i am thinking to go with the Hyperion ZS2213-18 it weights almost 60 grams and with a 11*5.5 prop i hope that i will have 280 watts and pulling 25 Amps with a 3S battery of course but i will also try the 12*8.

Also James and laanguy do you have any servo suggestions..?
Old Apr 01, 2010, 03:06 AM
Joined Oct 2004
926 Posts
Will be good to hear what power set up you end up with and the performance. Electrics have not been my thing but enjoy the Typhoon so much I am looking forward to the electric version to fly when there is no wind.

As for servos, not sure how big the servo well is. For the slope versions there have been a range of servos used with the higher end being HS85 / 5085.

Andrew
laanguy is offline Find More Posts by laanguy
Old Apr 01, 2010, 07:09 AM
Joined Jun 2008
383 Posts
I just ordered a fuse from Andrew...

Looking forward to getting it!

Rob
millikenrob is offline Find More Posts by millikenrob
Old Apr 01, 2010, 10:54 AM
Joined Apr 2009
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millikenrob View Post
I just ordered a fuse from Andrew...

Looking forward to getting it!

Rob
Millikenrob congrats for your new plane I wish you to enjoy it
for a looooong looong time I hope to gather via this build
thread more owners of this aircraft and discuss alltogether anything
concerns this bird..!
Old Apr 01, 2010, 11:02 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,231 Posts
this is the slope thread - right?

(electric sailplanes thread? - or are we gonna have another Blizzard scenario)

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Apr 01, 2010, 01:23 PM
Joined Apr 2009
34 Posts
Hello Phil typhoon electric is mostly a slope plane(and electric also).

Blizzard is a warmliner not slope...But if mods think that this thread
doesn't belong to slope we can move it..
Old Apr 02, 2010, 12:06 AM
Registered RC Addict
Silicon Valley/ Bay Area
Joined Jan 2007
92 Posts
Typhooon

I fly my blizzard only on the slope and it has a motor in nose. I don't typically use motor but its there for rescue if lift dies suddenly especialy on low lift days on steep slopes where it would be a pain to have to climb down to find it. Thats a common setup on many of the slopes i fly. And on really low lift days some of the guys with hotter setups have fun flying them as warmliners. Since we are flying on the slope its nice to get all the information on a plane at one site. Gems and 60Bird-E's and Easy GlidersE's and Cularis-Es. are much more commonly seen on the slope in my neck of the woods than on a flat field. I definitely plan to get an efuse for my still unbuilt Typhoon with the plan that it will be a dedicated sloper as I have nice hotliners and warmliners already. Here's another vote to have all the typhoon info in one place.
Alden
aldenca is offline Find More Posts by aldenca
Old Apr 02, 2010, 04:09 AM
Joined Apr 2009
34 Posts
Alden I definitely agree with you the best is all info about a plane to be
gathered in one place..! I am also planing to start the build as soon as
the plane arrives(right now I am on holidays). I hope that everyone will enjoy
it and that many questions will be answered...!
Old Apr 06, 2010, 01:15 PM
USA, VT, Putney
Joined Feb 2009
437 Posts
I am looking for a new 2m electric and this one caught my eye. It is advertised as an all-rounder, will it live up to that label? I fly ridge wave, no slope and some thermalling. Would this plane be appropriate?

Thanks,
Wardo
wardo78 is offline Find More Posts by wardo78
Old Apr 08, 2010, 07:59 PM
Joined Apr 2009
34 Posts
Hello wardo RCRCM planes they always are what is advertised. I haven't received mine yet(because i am on holidays) and i will return at about the end of this month. But it will definitely fly ridge wave. About thermalling it may do some thermalling but i think it won't be it's best spot.

Aggelos
Old Apr 09, 2010, 02:17 PM
USA, VT, Putney
Joined Feb 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_ View Post
Hello wardo RCRCM planes they always are what is advertised. I haven't received mine yet(because i am on holidays) and i will return at about the end of this month. But it will definitely fly ridge wave. About thermalling it may do some thermalling but i think it won't be it's best spot.

Aggelos
Ghost,
Thanks for the response. I really like the look of the plane, and I've heard great things about RCRCM. Having said that, after looking at the specs more carefully it probably isn't right for my application. I need something that can handle thermaling as a greater percentage of it capability.

Regards,
Wardo
wardo78 is offline Find More Posts by wardo78