SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:58 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR View Post
Those connectors are of no use on a starter, there is no place to put them. Alligator clips go directly on the terminals. The smaller Sullivan DynaTork has more power than the Hobbico 180. I installed a Miller 4 to 1 reduction so the 180 would start something. Then changed it to 3.5 to 1.
Ah, you put the connectors in the leads & wire one end directly to the power terminals of the battery. There are actually 2 sets, one on the ends of the starter leads, one on the ends of the battery leads. They will transmit current a heck of lot more consistantly than aligator clips.

I use a Hobbico 90 stater on all of my engines, even the high compression 180 & the 300 twin. Yes I could use more starter, but that's all I have & it still gets the job done. It wouldn't get the job done on the high compression 180 with "clips".
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:02 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Thomas View Post
Just a thought, I did not open the carb during the engine rebuild (just squirted some brake parts cleaner through it and a mild blow dry). Could the little o-ring that has been described as a PITA to replace be causing this hard start issue (or anything else in the carb for that matter).

Capt. Thomas
Which way is the cat's eye in the spray bar facing?

It should face the intake manifold.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:59 PM
Wing Driver - You buy, we fly
Guam
Joined Nov 2012
137 Posts
Yea not real happy with the Hobbyco purchase for this size engine. Would be fine fo my smaller engines but they start on the second flip. Anyone have a Sullivan they want to sell or anyone want to buy a brand new Hobbyco?

Capt. Thomas
Capt. Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Thomas
Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:03 PM
Wing Driver - You buy, we fly
Guam
Joined Nov 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrTelemaster View Post
Which way is the cat's eye in the spray bar facing?

It should face the intake manifold.

Not sure yet, haven't pulled the carb off. Got kinda burned out on it literally. My arm & shoulder are killing me I'll pull it down tonight, how about that little o-ring. What's the deal with that / changing it?

Capt. Thomas
Capt. Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Thomas
Old Oct 20, 2014, 08:01 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityking View Post
Well guys I'm back! Posted a few pages back on my fa65 that wouldn't rev up. Got side tracked on another project for a while but mounted her up today and ran 9000 rpm with a 13x6. I have no idea what I did. I disassembled the carb and blew it out but didn't see anything come out or obstructing any passages. Works now though.
Thanks for all your inputs.
Sometimes you never find the smoking gun,,, so to speak. I'm glad you had success getting the ol' girl running!

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Oct 20, 2014, 08:15 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,797 Posts
That's odd, I've never had the clips let me down, the DynaTron would start the 2.20 like it was a 1.00. I use a 300 amp garden tractor battery. Although right now I'm using the 7 year old 200 amp battery I took out of my Sportster.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:29 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR View Post
That's odd, I've never had the clips let me down, the DynaTron would start the 2.20 like it was a 1.00. I use a 300 amp garden tractor battery. Although right now I'm using the 7 year old 200 amp battery I took out of my Sportster.
I'm using a 9 amp AGM battery & a Hobbico 90 starter to start my HC 180 & 300T.

I would like to try a Hobbico 180 & I will probably try one when my 90 gives out. The 90 is really being over worked.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 04:59 AM
NITRO !
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,521 Posts
I'm using a pair of 3S 2200mAH Gens Ace LiPo mounted on the Sullivan with the switching handled by a small automotive relay . No long leads , very clean switching low , low voltage drop with 6 inch leads . It will start the 300 twin .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Oct 21, 2014, 05:32 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Joined Feb 2012
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cee View Post
I'm using a pair of 3S 2200mAH Gens Ace LiPo mounted on the Sullivan with the switching handled by a small automotive relay . No long leads , very clean switching low , low voltage drop with 6 inch leads . It will start the 300 twin .
The integrety of the connections makes a huge difference.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 06:13 AM
NITRO !
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,521 Posts
With this one , I re-routed the wires inside the motor case to come out the front of the Sullivan starter ( 12 volt DeLuxe , not a Dynatron) Ran the leads down the front plate of the battery bracket and into the battery box . There is a lever actuated momentary switch that activates a 40 Amp rated relay . The batteries use 4 mm bullet connectors . Everything is pretty close coupled .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee