SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:13 AM
SC Flyer
South Carolina
Joined Dec 2008
5 Posts
Discussion
Lipo batteries low voltage

I have some how discharged a new lipo below the charging voltage allowed by may charger. I put the battery in a larger plane, 30A ESC, and the plane had trouble flying after a few minutes. I brought it down and tried to charge the battery and got a low voltage warning. I tried measuring the individual cell voltage with no luck, very low. Is there a way to charge the individual cells to the minumum level, 3.7 volts so it can be recharged? I would appreciate any help. Thanks,.
tsimmons is offline Find More Posts by tsimmons
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:36 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,101 Posts
If you have multi-type charger, you can select NIMH charge at the lowest setting (100mah) and keep a close eye on you're lipo when it reaches 3.0v or more the select lipo charge and it should be good to go with out low voltage warning. Care should be taken when doing this and you should make sure you balance the pack with proper charger/balancer or external balancer.

Since you're pack went below the recommend voltage of 3.0v per cell, their may or may not be damage done but care should also be taken when you use this pack from now on.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:32 PM
Joined Jan 2009
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmons
I have some how discharged a new lipo below the charging voltage allowed by may charger. I put the battery in a larger plane, 30A ESC, and the plane had trouble flying after a few minutes. I brought it down and tried to charge the battery and got a low voltage warning. I tried measuring the individual cell voltage with no luck, very low. Is there a way to charge the individual cells to the minumum level, 3.7 volts so it can be recharged? I would appreciate any help. Thanks,.

Hi, if that is a lipo battery do not use any charger other that a charger that is for lipo batteries only.I drained my lipo down so far by accident that it took 7 1/2 hours to fully charge at the lowest setting on the charger.When a battery is that run down very low charge at the lowest setting possible on your charger.Hopefully your battery will come back.Do not charge any one cell more than 4.2 volts @3s=12.6 volts if its a 3 cell battery
CHilll is offline Find More Posts by CHilll
Old Feb 25, 2009, 01:16 PM
SC Flyer
South Carolina
Joined Dec 2008
5 Posts
Low Lipo voltage

I did what was suggest, that is, connect as a NiCd battery and recharged to 9.6 volts at which point I was able to recharge normally. Thanks for the help.
tsimmons is offline Find More Posts by tsimmons