New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2008, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by AllanK1
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,330 Posts
Discussion
5 Foot Gas Job - anyone know this one??

Anyone out there ever seen, or better still built and flown on of these?? It is a good looking machine that has always interested me. Ziac 1937.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Allan
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2008, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by williame3590
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
3,561 Posts
5 footer

That is a good one Allen, nice lines. I would also be very interested.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Oct 08, 2008, 02:15 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,330 Posts
I've located a plan Bill, I'll photograph it an post it when it arrives.

Allan
Old Oct 08, 2008, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by Chad H
Chad H Fly`n Farmer
Ancaster, Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2007
284 Posts
Here is another nice looking old timer you have shown us Allan with classic curvy lines and great proportions, designed in a age when aesthetics counted for something. I bet you with all that wing it flies as good as it looks.

For the life of me I cannot figure out with so many pretty looking ships such as this one around , guys just keep on building pylon job`s with as much appeal as a 2 by 4 chunk of lumber just to save a few grams or speed up construction a few hours on the work bench. ( example: Bomber)

I just want to start buying balsa and silk at the sight of a 3 view such as until reality sets in and I get my recent planned project done first.

I`d rather sit, look at 3 views like this one and never fly again than fly a pylon equipped "wings on a stick" aircraft that are pictured in most of SAM photos.

I bet too, when talking to modelers who are not familiar with pre 1950 designs that the first thing that pop`s in their heads after hearing the words "old timer model" is a wing on a stick type of craft which leaves them thinking "uhgg barf", and we lose another modeler to the realms of crude designs of the dark ages.

I just hope one of those modelers even thinking "wing on a stick" sees this design and boxes up or tosses out their plans and proves that style and function can go hand in hand.

Chad.
Chad H is offline Find More Posts by Chad H
Old Oct 08, 2008, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by williame3590
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
3,561 Posts
pylons

Your right Chad there are many many better looking models than pylons and for sport flying that is the way to go for sure. Although not participating but plan to, after a 20 second run for altitude the pylons will out perform most others by a huge margin. I'm sure that's why the popularity. Here's one that flew for 59min. after engine kill. Gotta luv them Bombers
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Oct 08, 2008, 08:34 PM
Chad H Fly`n Farmer
Ancaster, Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2007
284 Posts
Only because they don`t have a weight to wing area rule which they should impose. A 20 foot stream of toilet paper will probably way out perform a wing on a stick, but you will never catch me flying that either ...........Chad
Old Oct 08, 2008, 08:45 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,330 Posts
I know what you mean Chad, there really were a lot of fine looking models back then that still perform well in competition against the Bombers.
I don't dislike all pylon models by the way and have to admit to liking the Playboy and Goldberg's Sailplane. I even like my little pylon Skipper (MAN 1948)that goes so well for me in Tex 1/2A.
The Bomber thing is more of a Joke with me really. I always say people should build what they are passionate about first then think about its performance second. My problem is that I can't for the life of me see how anyone can be passionate about such an ugly (in my eyes) airplane.
One of the problems is fashion. A good flier does well with a design and everyone wan'ts the same. Next thing you know there is a short kit then there are lots of them and they win through weight of numbers and it all becomes self sustaining. I'm sure this is what has happened in the US SAM scene with Bombers.
Amazingly the Lancer 72 is the model that is the one to have in my club.
We have a heap of them but I can't get upset about that. A nice semiscale look and heaps of performance under NZ rules to max out duration and they make a fun sport flier besides.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Just as well too or there would be alot of us competing for just one Lady!

Cheers ALLAN
Old Oct 08, 2008, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by Harry D
TLAR Aviation
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK1
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
You got that right. So how about you guys build what you like, don't build what you don't like, and let everybody else do the same? Or is that too hard to understand?
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Oct 08, 2008, 09:38 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D
You got that right. So how about you guys build what you like, don't build what you don't like, and let everybody else do the same? Or is that too hard to understand?
Understood Harry. The trick is not to take any of these comments too seriously.

Cheers

Allan
Old Oct 08, 2008, 09:52 PM
Chad H Fly`n Farmer
Ancaster, Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2007
284 Posts
I always wondered who dated all those ugly women Iv`e seen in the past Harry, now I know!
Old Oct 08, 2008, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
14,358 Posts
I came close to drawing that one up for 1/2A Texaco but then the intrest moved on. It's a looker though. No doubt about it. Now that I'm looking at more electric sport flying where some touch and go's and maybe a bit of soaring is possible I may have to relook this one.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 09, 2008, 02:55 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,330 Posts
I was thinking of a 900 sq inch version Bruce using an OS40HP for vintage Duration. 5 foot has a long nose so the lighter 2 stroke would balance better.
Engineering those long strakes to attach the wing will be tricky. Snow White has these too. The wing needs to detach and be two piece. Do you have any thoughts how best to do the attachement. I'm thinking of an aircraft grade Al Alloy folded up frame with wood or glass fairing. The frame would have four lugs bent out horizontally with Nylon bolts going up to the center section lower face and picking up the wing spar structure. I'm looking forward to the plan arriving to see how the draughtsman has handled this.

Your thoughts? (and anyone elses)

1/2A is a great cheap way to try new (old) designs but this one is complex so I think I would struggle to build it down to weight. (8oz/ft sq).

Allan
Old Oct 10, 2008, 01:02 AM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
14,358 Posts
Well, if you're looking at take apart wings then there's only one way that makes sense for this setup for me. That's to make the center section permanently attached to the twin pylons or strakes. Then the two tip panels slide onto a box joiner or carbon tube joiner or even a steel wing rod. If you're not after pure authenticity then regular struts would produce less drag than the "tube" formed by the center section, fuselage and strake struts. I think it would actually look better as well.

But since you're looking at this for competition then it's a moot point.

I wasn't too worried about the weight for a 1/2A Texaco version. Not having any info on what the interior structure is like meant that as long as I was able to make the outside shape match the drawing that the insides were pretty much up to myself.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jun 01, 2015, 05:41 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,330 Posts
I've made a start on 5 Foot Gas

Hi all,
I keep looking at this model. It reminds me of those fancifull illustrations in the stories in Flying Aces in the 30s. The rearward cockpit placement looks great but would be totally impractical on a full sized aircraft. Every thing looks faired and streamlined but that all adds building complexity.
I have a plan drawn for John Pond (it says). It has a mass of errors and contradictions between the views but it will do as the basis for the build. I want this model for our NZ Electric Vintage Duration class so it will ideally be built down to 8 oz ft sq. The battery size, cells and rate are dictated by the wing area so I will optimise the motor and propellor around that. I'll be looking for a very hot climb for 20 seconds. Ideally hit 800 to 1000 feet at that point then it needs to glide out to 5 minutes followed by a spot landing so the gear will need to be robust too.

Anyway, I have made a start over our long Queen's Birthday weekend and now have a fin the basic fuselage box framed up. I even raised the odd glass of Marlborough's finest to Queenie while the glue dried, God save her!

I hope so of you find this one interesting.

Cheers Allan
Old Jun 01, 2015, 06:23 PM
Find More Posts by PGregory
Now I have to land that thing?
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2014
1,181 Posts
Really great - bring it back to life. Watching...
PGregory is online now Find More Posts by PGregory