Old Dec 15, 2015, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by Flazo
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,248 Posts
Discussion
The Don, from Don's RC Appreciation Thread

Thank you Don for all your help and products over the years. I think he will only provide services to the customers he feels have always appreciated his work.

Thank you again.

Fred
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2015, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by 1satnaam
1ONkar, Satnaam
GTA , Ontario
Joined May 2004
324 Posts
Sorry to See you are closing your bussiness Don

You always have a friend here

satnaam
1satnaam is offline Find More Posts by 1satnaam
Old Dec 15, 2015, 09:49 AM
Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
3,338 Posts
Website is gone.

. I don't know precisely what happened, but am aware he became embroiled in some manner of PayPal dispute, and that really soured him on continuing.

It is hard to believe anyone could find issue with either Don's services or his materials. Having dealt with him numerous times, I never found him to be anything less than completely forthright and honest.

Thank you for starting this thread, Flazo. It is a very fitting tribute to one of this hobby's best and most capable voices. His departure will be terribly missed, almost certain never to be replaced.

Thank you, Don, for all those nifty parts and goodies that only you had the foresight to provide us with. All of my Wicked motors will now need to be given extra-special attention, knowing that replacements are no longer available. And that is a damned shame.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Dec 15, 2015, 03:36 PM
Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
23,647 Posts
oh man that is not good news ,always had great service from Don. I still have and use some ESC's I got from him . and I had some motors that were still running well when I fodded a rotor and bent the shaft on them . he had some really good set up's for small fans . he will be missed im sure.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 15, 2015, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by ex-racr
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,722 Posts
Most unfortunate! Whenever anyone asked for a good 3S/4S setup in a 64mm airplane, I told them go to him.
I have bought various stuff from him and never had an issue.
Never the less,
Thank you Don for doing business with us!
ex-racr is online now Find More Posts by ex-racr
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by efflux RC
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
10,393 Posts
I can't believe I'm reading this.
So sorry to hear about this. I'm sure he will be here on RCG helping folks, as he was for me with my first EDF in 2008.
I installed a Don's Wicked Extreme for 4s in the F-16 in the stock 56mm hyperflow fan . Great 650W setup!
Don is the king of 50-64 mmEDFs and I hope he might continue on in some fashion.
He taught me the proper way to analyze PC based Doppler (WaveOscope) years ago.
Don is always eager to help out and provide accurate information with a smile (I could see it )

When the Habu 32 speed contest was forming, I enlisted Don as our "Doppler Wrangler" for his unbiased Doppler skills. He was always happy to Doppler anyone's video, and as I know this can take an hour to do 4 -5 passes.
I hope I can call on him in future. because when it comes to Doppler. Don's word is FINAL !
I always have and always will have nothing but good things to say about Don. One of the best guys in the industry.
efflux RC is online now Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Old Dec 25, 2015, 01:00 AM
Find More Posts by FireHawx
FireHawx
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Oct 2011
1,612 Posts
Thanx Don!! You helped me really bring my SkyAngel edf's to life, will miss the store.
FireHawx is offline Find More Posts by FireHawx
Old Dec 25, 2015, 04:28 AM
Find More Posts by Kwahn
Germany
Joined Jul 2010
627 Posts
The Don is the man, when I mentioned in the P3 F-16 thread that hobbypeople didn't want to ship any kits to Europe Don offered to buy some and forward them to me although I was not even a customer of his, just to help a fellow modeler out!
Kwahn is offline Find More Posts by Kwahn
Old Dec 28, 2015, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by Bajora
AA6JB
Joined Sep 2004
14,904 Posts
For sure, Don has always been a fantastic resource and a gentleman whose word meant something. His resources and shop will be missed for sure, though I think his passion was not completely destroyed by what happened here. Hopefully we'll still see him hanging around in the threads.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2016, 07:28 AM
Find More Posts by ravic
Raoul
Luxembourg, Ehlerange
Joined Dec 2011
9 Posts
It's really sad to hear that your shop doesn't exist anymore ! As i wanted to buy again a smaller "all-time-in-the-car" Edf flyer, automatically i wanted to get the best available powertrain . Hearing that DON'sRc shut down i'll give up on the project .... and will take very good care of the Wicked Combos i still own from him.
Best wishes from Luxembourg (Europe) to you Don (..and hope you'll change your mind again some day.. )
Raoul
ravic is offline Find More Posts by ravic
Old Jun 22, 2016, 06:02 PM
Find More Posts by Mrnick116
United States, CA, Newport Beach
Joined Mar 2015
3 Posts
It is a sad thing for those of us who were lucky enough to know Don. For me it wasn't just getting the absolute best EDF set-ups for my jets, it was also being able to ask him numerous questions and having him always taking the time to get back to me with the answers I needed.

I can't believe the people who chased such a kind and intelligent man away from his business. I don't know what more they could want from him. Even though no one is perfect every thing I bought from Don was..... and we all know there are people out there who are never satisfied so on one hand I am glad that Don won't have to deal with them anymore and I wish him the very best in his glider flying competitions.

It's about time the guy has some fun again and if you are one of the lucky ones like me send him an email just to say hello and ask about his gliders. He sends me some really cool video links and yes....his planes rock.

Take care buddy.
Mrnick116 is offline Find More Posts by Mrnick116
Old Jul 05, 2016, 01:15 AM
Find More Posts by TTRotary
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,512 Posts
Just went looking for fan combo, no more website, and found this. This sucks. Don, thanks for your great online store and your fan tests. Still have some motors and fans left, luckily. Honest guy and good business.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Jul 07, 2016, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by dLdV
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,524 Posts
It really is a shame if that'ts what happened, he was a great source and personable too!

I wish some of the useful basic technical info were listed somewhere, like how to tell which motor you have, ESC operation basics, performance characteristics.

Oh well, I suppose all of this can be worked out the hard way.

Thanks for all the stuff, Don! Had some fun with your gear, that's for sure.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Jul 07, 2016, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by The Don
Park Pilot Mag. Jets Columnist
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,001 Posts
Hey guys stumbled onto this thread today. Thanks for the kind words :-) I cant believe it have been 7 months already! I tell you what I am having a blast flying my models (RC and free flight) and going to contests with my dad. Check out the current issue of Model Aviation the Indoor Free Flight column (page 125), and see the contest I went to at the EAA museum. I got to sit right in front of that DH Mosquito all weekend and it smelled awesome :-) I am the guy in the blue shirt holding the yellow and red model and my dad is standing directly behind me. In fact headed to the AMA Nats in 10 days for a week of flying, so I am having a good time. If you guys get the Park Pilot magazine from the AMA , my first "Jets" column will be in the upcoming Summer issue so I am still around :-)

Don
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
Old Jul 07, 2016, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by The Don
Park Pilot Mag. Jets Columnist
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV View Post
It really is a shame if that'ts what happened, he was a great source and personable too!

I wish some of the useful basic technical info were listed somewhere, like how to tell which motor you have, ESC operation basics, performance characteristics.

Oh well, I suppose all of this can be worked out the hard way.

Thanks for all the stuff, Don! Had some fun with your gear, that's for sure.
Here is the color code for Wicked motors:

Wicked motor (red bell):
4000KV yellow dot
4800 KV green dot
5400 KV red dot
6000 KV orange dot

Wicked Plus motors (blue bell)
4000 KV yellow dot
4400 KV green dot

The paint dot is located on the black heat shrink coming from the side of the motor. ESC timing should be set to "low" on Hobbywing FlyFun ESC which work great with the Wicked motor series all KV values. Any other info you may want ask now before it is lost from my memory :-)

Don
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don