New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2015, 05:33 PM
Find More Posts by hntrryry
Ryan
Joined Jun 2015
9 Posts
Discussion
I need a fast cargo plane! Ideas?

So I really want to make a scratch build plane.

Included in it, I want the ability to fly after my car on the freeway.
so speeds of about 85 mph at tops.
But I need it to be able to carry a lot of weight. Not like above 10 lbs, but enough for a lot of FPV stuff. tons of servos, 3 position flaps for easy takeoff and landing on short run ways.
definitely fold up wheels
several cameras

so yeah, i was thinking a cargo condor plane with 4 motors, i have no clue, but i need help and ideas! Is this compatible?
hntrryry is offline Find More Posts by hntrryry
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2015, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by Mike_Then
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
8,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hntrryry View Post
So I really want to make a scratch build plane.

Included in it, I want the ability to fly after my car on the freeway.
so speeds of about 85 mph at tops.
But I need it to be able to carry a lot of weight. Not like above 10 lbs, but enough for a lot of FPV stuff. tons of servos, 3 position flaps for easy takeoff and landing on short run ways.
definitely fold up wheels
several cameras

so yeah, i was thinking a cargo condor plane with 4 motors, i have no clue, but i need help and ideas! Is this compatible?
With all the negative 'drone' talk in the news, are you really serious or are you pulling our legs?
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: F-14 resurrection
Old Jun 15, 2015, 07:57 PM
Ryan
Joined Jun 2015
9 Posts
Oh wow i didn't even think about that. NO NO NO this is completely for fun. I just saw people flying over there own cars and i thought it would be fun. More of a cinematography thing. I wanted a bunch of go pros on the plane so i can fly it easily. I do see how this could have been taken in an evil "Drone" way. Sorry about that. But no this is really for fun.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by Carlos G
Joined Feb 2011
58 Posts
Hi hntrryry,

Just curious , have you flown r/c models before or is this your first venture into the hobby? It sounds like you may not have the needed skills to pull this off. It would be a challenge for an experience r/c pilot let alone someone who may not understand the complexity of what you are proposing.

Gopros are usually recording cameras and not for trying to control a model in real time.

Carlos G
Carlos G is offline Find More Posts by Carlos G
Old Jun 16, 2015, 02:12 PM
Ryan
Joined Jun 2015
9 Posts
So yes it is true, i am a novice at this, but the reasons i chose this type of plane as my second was for its slow features. I wanted the cargo condor because it has a nice slow flying characteristic. I have flown a nice big one before, 90" wingspan, and i loved it! It turned nice and big and slow, and i like that. Very easy to fly. I just thought it would be fun for those same characteristics to be present at higher speeds.

Also, I am big on Quadcopters, and the statement about go pros not being good for real time video is not correct. I have been doing that FPV for years and that is very wrong. Even on planes. So i dont know where that came from. You dont need to reply to my opinion on the FPV stuff though, I was just giving an idea of what i wanted on the plane.

I'm more interested in what i can do with the plane.

Thank you
- Ryan
Old Jun 16, 2015, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
14,178 Posts
Even considering flying a drone in the middle of vehicle traffic, for any purpose, shows me that you are either a troll wanting to set off another stupid thread or you are seriously lacking in maturity and common sense.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:58 PM
Ryan
Joined Jun 2015
9 Posts
Well, in the middle of Oregon, I own 1200 acres.... not many cars on my property just for you to all know. That is really the intention. I didn't even think that this was gonna be the conversation. But it you must all know, I race Tesla and go karts, and I like the idea of nicely filming them.

Slow down turbo! I realize i previously said freeway, but it was just a quick reference to something that everyone would understand.

So if we might be able to get around every distraction?

Help please?
Last edited by hntrryry; Jun 17, 2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by demondriver
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
18,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
Even considering flying a drone in the middle of vehicle traffic, for any purpose, shows me that you are either a troll wanting to set off another stupid thread or you are seriously lacking in maturity and common sense.
Ryan. . . I'll go one further. . . You fly your plane in traffic and hit another car . . . Or even worse . . . You cause an accident.

The guys you see flying thier RC planes and drones over car filled streets are FING idiots!!! They are only looking for views for thier youtube channel.

I will not nor should anyone here on RCG help you if your using RC aviation in such a careless manner.

Ryan. ..... If you wanna fly responsibly at a AMA sanctioned flight field then we're ready to help you
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foam Safe Spray paint!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by cwrr5
Skylar's People
United States, AZ, Marana
Joined Dec 2011
1,728 Posts
Wow guys, easy. He's just asking about a suitable airframe.
I'd suggest keeping it as simple as possible, maybe a twin design. Check the scratchbuilt forum for "the twins" - that's a design that can be scaled up & built fairly cheaply and with minimal experience. Flitetest.com has a couple that may fit your criteria as well.

FWIW, Flying cross country has been done safely and successfully for a long time, though not fpv until just recently. As long as the right safety precautions are taken (like not flying over any traffic and carefully planning the route), It's perfectly do-able. Last time I did it was with a .40 glo trainer, over a 50-mile route. (several landings for refueling required) It's actually a lot of fun. 10 or so aircraft started, if I remember correctly, all but two made it. (one crashed on takeoff at the field)

cwrr5 is offline Find More Posts by cwrr5
Old Jul 12, 2015, 03:52 PM
Ryan
Joined Jun 2015
9 Posts
Thank you! also 1200 acres doesn't allow for traffic... and they are my own cars... so if i crash.....into my own car..... you get it now? its all controlled on my own land and racetrack.
But thank you cwrr5 that is what i was looking for.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 06:44 PM
Find More Posts by cwrr5
Skylar's People
United States, AZ, Marana
Joined Dec 2011
1,728 Posts
No problem. Good luck with whatever you come up with.

(Wish I had my own private flying field - I'm officially jealous )
cwrr5 is offline Find More Posts by cwrr5