HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:57 AM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Jan 2012
113 Posts
Gravy - I like the high contrast color scheme. Gotta do something like that for mine.
jgroetsema is online now Find More Posts by jgroetsema
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:01 PM
Fly,Crash, Burn,Fix, repeat
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Dec 2013
581 Posts
Yeah I figured it would match my purse. LOL

I wanted to be different than the other guys Bixlers I'll be flying with and highly visible. I think I unlocked that achievement.

Gravy
Gravythe Clown is online now Find More Posts by Gravythe Clown
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:52 PM
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Feb 2012
305 Posts
NTM 28-36 1800kv

For quite a while I've been wondering what the best prop is to use on my Bixler 2 equipped with an NTM 28-36 1800kv motor. I recently bought the Turnigy Thrust Stand so I decided to do some testing.

Here are the results from the 5 different props I've been using. Measurements were done in increments of 1/5 throttle. I was using a 12 volt regulated power supply (that did drop voltage on load - kind of like a LIPO!).

According to the HobbyKing website, the motor has a max current of 30A. But I found at WOT it was pulling up to 39A. It did not seem to be overheating. Something to think about when choosing an ESC.

It's clear that for this motor, from mid-throttle upwards the APC 7x5E does best. From mid-throttle and below it does fine, although not best. Looks like that's what I'll be using from now on with this motor.

One interesting thing I found was that different ESCs gave different results. The HobbyKing 40A ESC gave about 10% better thrust/watt than the Turnigy dlux 40A Speed Controller. I found that very surprising.
xtrmtrk is online now Find More Posts by xtrmtrk
Old Mar 26, 2015, 01:04 PM
"Doc"
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Dec 2014
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrmtrk View Post
For quite a while I've been wondering what the best prop is to use on my Bixler 2 equipped with an NTM 28-36 1800kv motor. I recently bought the Turnigy Thrust Stand so I decided to do some testing.

Here are the results from the 5 different props I've been using. Measurements were done in increments of 1/5 throttle. I was using a 12 volt regulated power supply (that did drop voltage on load - kind of like a LIPO!).

According to the HobbyKing website, the motor has a max current of 30A. But I found at WOT it was pulling up to 39A. It did not seem to be overheating. Something to think about when choosing an ESC.

It's clear that for this motor, from mid-throttle upwards the APC 7x5E does best. From mid-throttle and below it does fine, although not best. Looks like that's what I'll be using from now on with this motor.

One interesting thing I found was that different ESCs gave different results. The HobbyKing 40A ESC gave about 10% better thrust/watt than the Turnigy dlux 40A Speed Controller. I found that very surprising.
This might help explain why my ESC is always overheating while flying my stock motor with a 7x5E. I bet its probably pulling 30 or slightly higher Amps. Thanks for the graphics!, a really good reference.
mjgravina is online now Find More Posts by mjgravina
Old Mar 26, 2015, 05:25 PM
Chris
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Sep 2010
2,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchitagain View Post
Mine weighs in at 1506g, with full FPV setup and 4K battery.. Flies great...
I bet you have more than 250w worth of power plant though...

I only have around 180w at wot. So takeoff is almost scale :P
Once in the air it has no problem floating. I'm about to configure crow to shorten my landings too.
cmavr8 is offline Find More Posts by cmavr8
Old Mar 27, 2015, 04:58 PM
Fly With Me FPV
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Dec 2005
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravythe Clown View Post
Just finished up my Bixler2. I'm waiting for time to Maiden her now. Pics posted are from the day before completion.

Gravy
Awesome paint job Gravy!
leenix66 is offline Find More Posts by leenix66
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:58 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,582 Posts
Quote:
Just finished up my Bixler2. I'm waiting for time to Maiden her now. Pics posted are from the day before completion.

Gravy
Nice paint job. Just wondered what brand and type of paint you used.

Thanks
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Mar 28, 2015, 08:07 PM
Joined Dec 2013
581 Posts
Thanks. I used good old Rust-oleum.

Gravy
Old Mar 29, 2015, 01:50 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,582 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I used good old Rust-oleum.

Gravy
Thanks. I have not heard of it before but they sell it out here.

Guess the foam will not rust now?
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Mar 29, 2015, 06:43 PM
Joined Dec 2013
581 Posts
LOL I hope not.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 02:59 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
1,054 Posts
Control deflection settings

Hello all;

I have just completed the first of my 2 Bixler2 builds. This one is completely stock. i did install a 40 amp ESC and have a new motor ready to go in.

My question is where do you all set your throws? I have a lot more travel here than I would ever use normally. I bet it's like 1.25 inches up and down on aileron and elevator. On most of the planes i have built this is all laid out in the instructions. i am thinking 5/8 in. on full rate and 1/2 in. on the low rate. I am using a 90x with er9x for the first time ever. So far I really like the er9x setup pages.

Sudsy

opcorn
Sudsy is online now Find More Posts by Sudsy