SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 13, 2015, 06:10 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post
It's has been done but the two will never exactly the same. The RX3S will support dual ailerons and dual elevators if you flash new firmware and use a serial protocol input such as S.BUS (not enough connectors to use normal inputs).

John
S-Bus is out of my knowledge zone and wouldn't know where to start.

I use 9xr radio, FrSky standard and Telemetry type Modules / Rx's .... no S-Bus or fancy bits.

I have 4 3S units on the bench all flashed to latest FW ..... so thought about how to solve my split elevator problem. Split ailerons is really as I said before not so much a problem - in fact you could connect one aileron only to a 3S and it would be enough ... I used to fly a high speed pylon racer on just one !!

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2015, 06:21 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
961 Posts
No magic to S.BUS, just purchase an X4R SB Rx and you have functional S. BUS.

When you say latest firmware, do you mean latest HK firmware or OFS?

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
S-Bus is out of my knowledge zone and wouldn't know where to start.

I use 9xr radio, FrSky standard and Telemetry type Modules / Rx's .... no S-Bus or fancy bits.

I have 4 3S units on the bench all flashed to latest FW ..... so thought about how to solve my split elevator problem. Split ailerons is really as I said before not so much a problem - in fact you could connect one aileron only to a 3S and it would be enough ... I used to fly a high speed pylon racer on just one !!

Nigel
JohnRB is offline Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Mar 13, 2015, 06:25 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post
No magic to S.BUS, just purchase an X4R SB Rx and you have functional S. BUS.

When you say latest firmware, do you mean latest HK firmware or OFS?

John
Was not even aware that HK had any other than OEM FW !

I use what is online and referred to generally in this thread ... as in Post #2481 by Grantham Kid ...

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 13, 2015, 06:34 AM
Joined Oct 2011
961 Posts
I think HK had 2.0 & 2.1 versions, maybe more.

If you are using Open FlightStab firmware you just need an X4R SB, a single cable between the Rx and RX3S and the S. BUS version on the firmware.

Let's move this to the OFS thread.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Was not even aware that HK had any other than OEM FW !

I use what is online and referred to generally in this thread ...

Nigel
Old Mar 13, 2015, 06:55 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
4,002 Posts
John - I am very interested in learning how to flash my stabs as I have 10 and don't really like the stock v 2.1 capability . The pots are very hard to set and it's generally not working well. I hves purchased the items recommended above but don't know where to start? I read the first thread but need a little guideance please! I don't know how to get the software that will help download the firmware? Which company and how? Thanks!!
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2015, 09:14 AM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Joined Mar 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
John - I am very interested in learning how to flash my stabs as I have 10 and don't really like the stock v 2.1 capability . The pots are very hard to set and it's generally not working well. I hves purchased the items recommended above but don't know where to start? I read the first thread but need a little guideance please! I don't know how to get the software that will help download the firmware? Which company and how? Thanks!!
All you need is here.:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...yykV3Xz6dg/pub
rosnik is online now Find More Posts by rosnik
Old Mar 13, 2015, 09:35 AM
Joined Oct 2011
961 Posts
Take a look at the documentation linked in the first post of the OFS thread.

The very beginning is a partial history of changes and a description of supported devices. Following that is information on the tools required and a description of how to use them.

A very brief summary:
You need a 3V/5V USBasp adapter. You might also want to get the clip on adapter for the ATmega168PA.

You need to download and install eXtremeBurner software on your PC and make a minor modification to one it's files to support the ATmega168PA as described in the document.

You then use the eXtremeBurner software to load the desired firmware.

Optional, but highly recommended:
Purchase the programmer and cable listed under the section titled USB-Serial programming adapters.

Using eXtreme burner to install the file found at
FlightStab/AVRootloader/AVR/defaultAVRootloader_RX3S_V1V2V3_AILR_OUT.hex

Then modify the fuse bits to indicate a bootloader is present in the ATmega168PA

Once you have done this you will not need the USBasp or eXtremeBurner software for this RX3S device again. From this point on the program FlightStab/AVRootloader/Windows/AVRootloader.exe from my repository will be used to install the proper hex file into the RX3S using a 3 wire cable connected to the AILR_OUT pins on the RX3S. This same program will be used to do all firmware updates and can be done with the RX3S in the aircraft.

If you would like to not use the pots on the RX3S and/or make easy configuration changes at the field then also purchase and modify one of the programming boxes (HK TGY160A highly recommended). There is also an AVRootloader available for the different programming boxes so that once again you only need to use the USBasp and eXtremeBurner the very first time.

If you have problems, post them on the OFS Thread and someone will help.

John

PS - Please be aware that the OFS thread is several years old now and much of what you read in the early posts of the thread may no longer be true as the firmware has evolved. I do my best to keep the documentation current. If you find errors or omissions in the documentation, post to the OFS thread and I will try to resolve any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
Last edited by JohnRB; Mar 13, 2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Add Post Script
Old Mar 13, 2015, 02:10 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
4,002 Posts
Thank you. I have some reading to do and already have the tools.
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2015, 01:13 AM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
959 Posts
Any body have a link to instructions for the v1 version? Got 4 in a trade. Looked at HK but they don't list it any more.
jlk69 is online now Find More Posts by jlk69
Old Mar 21, 2015, 01:45 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk69 View Post
Any body have a link to instructions for the v1 version? Got 4 in a trade. Looked at HK but they don't list it any more.
You will be lucky to find any.
Everything you can get now will be here.
You will really need to hack them to get full benefit from them.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Mar 21, 2015 at 01:54 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 01:57 AM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
You will be lucky to find any.
Everything you can get now will be here.
You will really need to hack them to get full benefit from them.
Actually found a file in the international warehouse under the v2 version that covers the v1 version.
jlk69 is online now Find More Posts by jlk69
Old Mar 21, 2015, 03:03 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
3,145 Posts
Cool, I looked all over and didn't see that one.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid