HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 12:59 PM
United States, MN, Eagan
Joined May 2013
46 Posts
Discussion
Finishing question on Dumas 19" Runabout

I am getting close to painting the hull on my first ever boat build, a Dumas 1949 runabout. In looking at the many build logs, it seems that most people paint the hull up to the water line. In some cases however they are only painted on the bottom of the hull up to the chine. Is there a right or wrong way, or is it what ever the builder likes? While painting up to the water line looks fine, it does seems like a shame to cover some of the mahogany.

Also, does the color matter, or is it what the builder likes? While most seem to be painted a shade of brown, I have seen some that are painted a cream or white, while some are even red.

Mike
catman1 is online now Find More Posts by catman1
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 01:18 PM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,952 Posts
For a scale look: Up to the waterline. After all, the intent is to inhibit marine growth on the hull, particularly for a boat that spends a lot of time just sitting in the water tied up at the dock. Also consider a "boot stripe" for the best look.

For commercial and naval ships, that rust-red-brown color is typical. For the ChrisCrafts of this era, a fairly bright copper color is classic... but owners could easily repaint with any color they liked.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350