Joined Jun 2012
1,843 Posts
Discussion
FlyFly MD11 fiberglass ARF

I stumbled upon this:

http://www.hobby88.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=784

then saw the video:

MD11 NEW (2 min 5 sec)

Anybody build one? Does this thing even fly? Two 70mm EDF fans with an expected weight of 5.5kg. Not convinced that's enough power. It seems like there could be a third fan installed in the tail like the real one.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:02 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,844 Posts
I haven't seen this until now. I know Fly Fly has moved away from foam and into composite. Interesting. I don't have all the details, just making a guess based on what I see from the video - thinking it's gonna be challenging to keep this size of an airliner light enough to be "in the zone", being composite and all. But I am prepared to hope for the best! I think 70mm fans can be very powerful, that's not a problem as long as the motors and batteries are up tot he task, but the weight will have to be watched. It looks scale. I applaud them for trying to get the landing gear, wing and details close! Looks pretty good from a visual stand point.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:24 AM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,819 Posts
the vertical stabs wobbles, but a very cool realistic EDF model
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Nov 19, 2014, 02:42 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,794 Posts
Good looking Bird, a tad pricey but Very well made.

Did you Guys see Dan Asher of Gemini Jets in that Video?

I did!

That Video was taken right outside Beijing
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2014, 05:50 PM
Joined Aug 2008
19 Posts
great video why?? didnt it take off? under powered? this is a nice model but needs to be powed on 6s also the back stab looked wobbly
good luck
raaj is offline Find More Posts by raaj
Last edited by raaj; Nov 22, 2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 06:01 PM
Joined Aug 2008
19 Posts
nice jet thers also a 737-800 series model made by flyfly looks awsome
Last edited by raaj; Nov 22, 2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 06:51 PM
Joined Jun 2013
681 Posts
It's seems very under powered for it's size, plus airliners need flaps to get lift under there wings to fly. I also see lack of elevator throws, it need more pitch. 3rd EDF will definitely help in this case or twin 90mm will be needed in #1 and #3 nacelles. Profile out line of the fuselage looks pretty scale. yeah vertical stab wobbles quite a bit.
Concordefan2 is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan2
Old Nov 22, 2014, 08:08 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordefan2 View Post
It's seems very under powered for it's size, plus airliners need flaps to get lift under there wings to fly. I also see lack of elevator throws, it need more pitch. 3rd EDF will definitely help in this case or twin 90mm will be needed in #1 and #3 nacelles. Profile out line of the fuselage looks pretty scale. yeah vertical stab wobbles quite a bit.
I agree Sam, More power is needed, But this MD-11 looks no bigger than 72" inches or so, It might be too small for 90mm Units.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2014, 08:59 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,010 Posts
Is it just me, or do the inlets on the wing look too small? Look at the tail fin inlet, it looks bigger.
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
Old Nov 22, 2014, 09:39 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1 View Post
Is it just me, or do the inlets on the wing look too small? Look at the tail fin inlet, it looks bigger.
I think they are generic 70mm Engine cowells off An RC A320 or other RC airliner.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2014, 03:00 AM
Joined Aug 2008
19 Posts
a single jet engine in the tail wil fly that" the outer engines as dummys im putting a jet engine in mine
Old Nov 23, 2014, 03:33 AM
Joined Oct 2003
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post
a single jet engine in the tail wil fly that" the outer engines as dummys im putting a jet engine in mine
Of course, a single gas turbine in the tail nacelle is the best choice for a MD-11 model. And there are several examples flying with this kind of power.
Very Large MD 11 scale RC Models At Oppingen Airliner Treffen (12 min 15 sec)
Kapnos is online now Find More Posts by Kapnos
Old Nov 23, 2014, 04:25 AM
Joined Aug 2008
19 Posts
thats the nobert rouch one they are massive but look the dogs dangles" in the air
anyway"
they have made an error on the c of g (center of gravity) acording to the manual it says the c of g on the md11 is 240mm from the leading edge of the wing" 240mm sits way behind the uc" under carrage) the photo shows the c of g at about 140mm that is just behind the door" but i am abit confused i believe they have made an error any sugestions??
Old Nov 23, 2014, 04:33 AM
Joined Aug 2008
19 Posts
pictures of manual as you can see 240mm is way past the location showed in the manual"
Old Nov 23, 2014, 05:41 AM
Joined Oct 2003
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj View Post
thats the nobert rouch one they are massive but look the dogs dangles" in the air
anyway"
they have made an error on the c of g (center of gravity) acording to the manual it says the c of g on the md11 is 240mm from the leading edge of the wing" 240mm sits way behind the uc" under carrage) the photo shows the c of g at about 140mm that is just behind the door" but i am abit confused i believe they have made an error any sugestions??
Compare with the instructions on Norbert Rauch's site.
The CoG ("Schwerpunkt") is located 27cm in front of the trailing edge of this much bigger wing. But you get an impression of the correct location.
BTW a tail-mounted turbine needs a lot of incidence to avoid a strong nose-down tendency.
Kapnos is online now Find More Posts by Kapnos