Old Apr 23, 2015, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by NullVoxPopuli
Team WarpSquad
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jul 2014
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathieu974 View Post
Lee correct me if im wrong, but the Assassin doesnt have fin because you create the stabilisation by cutting the wing (drag). Horten wing doesnt have fins, but the wing is "twisted" to create drag.
In my case, i prefere the look with fins, and i think (probably wrong) that fins have less drag than a cut...
Is there a way to make fins look less like an glued on add-on? They just seem out of place.

These fins look less out of place.

What's the purpose of creating drag with fins? or some other method?
NullVoxPopuli is offline Find More Posts by NullVoxPopuli
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by daniirwan
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullVoxPopuli View Post
What amount of thrust should I be aiming for?

I noticed that on the recommended parts list, there are a lot of setups that draw 40-100 amps. I don't need / want THAT much power. At least to start out with. I have 30 amp ESCs. lol. I kinda want to just cruise (again, just to start out with, I'm new to planes)
Other members here will be able to chime in more accurately on what amount of thrust to aim for on the Assassin/Pinata.

I've only ever had the Assassin so can only give my views regarding the Assassin.

IMHO, if you're aiming to use that 30A ESC in hand, then stick with the red CF28 motor (https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...idproduct=5423) and 7" or 8" prop on 3S, as recommended by Lee. I can't recall what the figures were on my wattmeter with that setup, but I believe it got nowhere near 30A at WOT.

For FPV, generally you'd want better efficiency and longer flight times. So you can also go the lower kv motor-bigger prop route.

Again, other more seasoned members here like Rdimand, sr175, Lee etc will give you sage advice
daniirwan is offline Find More Posts by daniirwan
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:47 AM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Jul 2014
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniirwan View Post
Other members here will be able to chime in more accurately on what amount of thrust to aim for on the Assassin/Pinata.

I've only ever had the Assassin so can only give my views regarding the Assassin.

IMHO, if you're aiming to use that 30A ESC in hand, then stick with the red CF28 motor (https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...idproduct=5423) and 7" or 8" prop on 3S, as recommended by Lee. I can't recall what the figures were on my wattmeter with that setup, but I believe it got nowhere near 30A at WOT.

For FPV, generally you'd want better efficiency and longer flight times. So you can also go the lower kv motor-bigger prop route.

Again, other more seasoned members here like Rdimand, sr175, Lee etc will give you sage advice

I already have motors, but for 1500kv, here is one with free shipping: http://www.banggood.com/EMAX-CF2812-...r-p-71178.html

My plan is just use my spare parts from previous 'copter builds
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by daniirwan
Freezes when panicking
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Mar 2007
432 Posts
The motor in that link you gave is the same one in mine.

Well, if you're planning to use leftover parts from your quad builds, then it's rather hit or miss, ain't it? Some parts might work while other may not.
daniirwan is offline Find More Posts by daniirwan
Old Apr 23, 2015, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by Rdimand
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Jun 2013
663 Posts
Lee's parts list on Assassin link on cth Web site is very helpful

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/small-...o-50-span.html
Rdimand is offline Find More Posts by Rdimand
Old Apr 23, 2015, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by sr175
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
1,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Going on 3 years of flying through soccer goals, combat, lawn chair launching, screaming flat out down the runway a foot off the ground, inverted flying, etc, etc, I'm not bored yet.
Cool. Had em a couple years now and have thousands of flights on them. Good to fly with a group for fun and at night otherwise...
sr175 is offline Find More Posts by sr175
Old Apr 23, 2015, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by Rdimand
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Jun 2013
663 Posts
As far as motor, esc goes; the total weight and purpose of wing really drives it. If build is ultralight and uses small battery, can get away with really small motor (35-50 grams) and small esc, with great performance. If building a heavy bruiser (+/- fpv) with 2200mah, NTM 2836 (2200kv =7x6, 3000kv =6x4) has been ideal (87 grams) and minimum 50a esc. A 3530 motor like rctimer also does great in bruiser.
Rdimand is offline Find More Posts by Rdimand
Last edited by Rdimand; Apr 23, 2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:07 AM
Find More Posts by NinjaFlashX
United States, IA, Carlisle
Joined Apr 2014
47 Posts
The Assassin comes with two winglets, or at least my two came with them. However, they are optional if you cut the diagonal on the tips.

EDIT: Oops! Apparently when I answered I was back a page. And here I was thinking I was being nice and answering some questions.
NinjaFlashX is offline Find More Posts by NinjaFlashX
Last edited by NinjaFlashX; Apr 24, 2015 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Oops
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:28 AM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullVoxPopuli View Post
Is there a way to make fins look less like an glued on add-on? They just seem out of place.

These fins look less out of place.

What's the purpose of creating drag with fins? or some other method?
There is more going on with the wing in the picture than the fins. The B2 Stealth flying wing It has split elevons at the tips that open and close to help the plane track. The top of the elevon goes up while a bottom part of the elevon goes down at the same time to make drag at the tip. You can hid ribs under the plane that act like fins if you want or do what we do on the assassin and Titan and angle the tips to create a physical drag to bring the plane back to center.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:01 PM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Jul 2014
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
There is more going on with the wing in the picture than the fins. The B2 Stealth flying wing It has split elevons at the tips that open and close to help the plane track. The top of the elevon goes up while a bottom part of the elevon goes down at the same time to make drag at the tip. You can hid ribs under the plane that act like fins if you want or do what we do on the assassin and Titan and angle the tips to create a physical drag to bring the plane back to center.
I clearly have a lot of new terminology to learn, and a lot about plane aerodynamics. Do you know of any good youtube videos that help explain (maybe with diagrams) about plane tracking, the different ways to do it, and the benefits of each?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 01:34 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,633 Posts
Flying wings are highly studied but I don't think you will find a simple explanation of who what when where and how to design and build one. After all the years I have designed and built flying wings it still takes multiple beta test planes to get the plane to fly and work the way I want. Most of the planes we sell had 5-8 prototypes made with different design modifications to determine airfoils, sweep angles, wash out, fin sizes, center of gravity, motor mounts style and other options to strengthen the planes.
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,633 Posts
Here is a new video:

RC Plane Crashes into Brick Wall in Slow Motion. (7 min 31 sec)
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Jul 2014
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I'm surprised how well the electronics stay on, too
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Find More Posts by Gharddog03
Ground Pounder
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2012
898 Posts
Nice vid Lee,

Amazing how the energy is absorbed through the wing upon impact.
Gharddog03 is offline Find More Posts by Gharddog03