SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2014, 01:17 AM
gs1
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Oct 2012
24 Posts
Build Log
Depron A-10 Warthog - Twin Tractor Configuration

Here is my version of the A-10, it is very much in the Steve Shumate style of build construction with only the wing deviating from using 6mm depron sheet - it was hot-wired from Isoboard (similar characteristics to depron but I had ceiling boards which were thick enough to cut airfoil wings from).

The nacelles construction worried me a bit but ended up being quite easy to bend a cylinder using the hairdryer and dowel technique.

I added rudders as I wanted to take off on the wheels - the A-10 lends itself to a nice tail dragger configuration which I had seen on some modified GWS A-10s.

The twin tractor motor configuration worked fine and there was ample prop clearance with the motors offset slightly on the nacelles, it may look a bit odd initially but you cant even tell they are there in the air.

It flies really well and has plenty of power, infact I limit the throttle to 70% and it can still go vertical for ages with ease. It is very docile but (for me) quite fast due to the high wing loading.

Here are pics during construction and the finished product. It turned out quite heavy, here are the specs:

Wingspan: 85cm
Weight: 640g
Battery: 3C 1500mAh (initially flew with 1300s but needed some longer legs)
Motors: 2 x Turnigy 2730 3000KV, 4.5x4.5 props
ESC: 2 x 10A
gs1 is offline Find More Posts by gs1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2014, 01:41 AM
unbreakable ? give it to me !
United Kingdom, Market Harborough
Joined Oct 2010
180 Posts
wow that's a great looking plane , did you follow any plans or just make it up as you went along ?

dave
kinghelichopter is offline Find More Posts by kinghelichopter
Old Aug 12, 2014, 02:13 AM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
496 Posts
Very nice! Love the Warthog!

What canopy did u use? Is tha nacelles supported only on foam, or did you install some carbon/sticks? What did u paint with?

Lekker man! Lekker!

George
georgy is offline Find More Posts by georgy
Old Aug 12, 2014, 04:03 AM
gs1
Joined Oct 2012
24 Posts
Hi Dave, I winged it from a 3 view that I printed out on A0 paper - I would like to try my hand at drawing up plans sometime and incorporating a few enhancements from what I learnt in the initial design. It would probably also work well with a KF airfoil for those that would rather not hot wire a wing

George, the canopy ironically comes from a mould I made from a GWS A-10 canopy - the GWS had been glassed for sloping and was a bit heavy to fix up. I use plaster of paris to make the mold and then vac form a canopy from that. I had to trim it down to fit my size model which is about 10% smaller than the GWS.

The nacelles support are just 6mm depron with a large amount of epoxy where they connect to the fuselage and nacelles - future enhancement would be to put a 3mmx1mm carbon strip in and maybe make a sandwich of 2 x 6mm layers so there is more area to clue to the nacelles. It was a noisy bugger on the maiden which I think was due partly the rather flexible nacelle supports - noise reduced significantly after adding the epoxy (it also initially flew with 4x2.5 props but the 4.5x4.5 props gave a substantial performance improvement and may also have reduced the noise).

The paint, other than dark brown, are Heritage acrylics, watered down and airbrushed on. The dark brown is a Dala acrylic and wasn't didn't produce as nice a finish as the Heritage (but it is not noticeable from a few meters away!)
Old Aug 12, 2014, 04:20 AM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
496 Posts
I tried the Herritage & Dala acrilics before with airbrushing but it was a

Now i just slap it on with a roller or brush

I could maybe learn from you!

PS: Ever tried "drawing ink"? (Also from the same manufacturer) I got a tub that must still be experimented with...

George
georgy is offline Find More Posts by georgy
Old Aug 12, 2014, 07:16 AM
illinois
Joined Jun 2001
602 Posts
Nice Warthog gs!
Any video ?
wim5150 is offline Find More Posts by wim5150
Old Sep 05, 2014, 02:44 AM
gs1
Joined Oct 2012
24 Posts
Will be uploading some video soon, here are some pics from the video
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:02 PM
Joined Oct 2014
32 Posts
this was my version of the A-10 but the ground got in the way of its maiden
Luis foamies is offline Find More Posts by Luis foamies
Old Oct 23, 2014, 09:03 PM
Joined Oct 2014
32 Posts
made from these plans came out scale looking
Luis foamies is offline Find More Posts by Luis foamies
Old Oct 24, 2014, 03:29 AM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,815 Posts
Lovely plane and so nice landscape too

@ louis : hey, sorry to see that but a depron nose can be rebuilt very fastly... don't give up, repair and re maiden her !!!
Dreamcatcher is offline Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
Old Oct 25, 2014, 08:47 AM
Bipes Rule!
United States, LA, Pearl River
Joined Feb 2006
348 Posts
I have one printed up but haven't attempted it yet. Yours looks like it has airfoil wing?The plans I have are flat wing. Yours looks awesome I like it!!!
RM
RITTMEISTER is offline Find More Posts by RITTMEISTER
Old Feb 25, 2015, 04:56 PM
Isaiah 40:31
United Kingdom, England, Hamble-le-Rice
Joined Sep 2012
890 Posts
Awesome job Gareth! I didn't know you built the a10! I hope my mine turns out as well as yours!
Clickety is offline Find More Posts by Clickety