New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2014, 02:29 AM
Find More Posts by CaptCB
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,492 Posts
Question
Parts Needed For 1/12 Lobster Boats?

Good Lobsters, seem to be another item that is in short supply, and I think I've got a cure for that. The upper one in the photo's, came with the Midwest fiberglass boats. The lower one is a cleaned up piece, from a nautical decoration I bought several years ago. The Midwest one would be about 10 1/2'' long, and the other one, about 14 1/2'' - 15''.

I am also planing on making another master for a 24'' life ring, as I seem to have lost, the last one I made. It was made for the 1/12th PBR.

I also have plans to do other details, so lets hear what you might like to see, or be able to help with. CB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2014, 06:09 AM
Find More Posts by bbenner
BOATBring Out Another Thousand
United States, ME, South Bristol
Joined Sep 2013
1,123 Posts
Awesome Capt! Another thing that is hard to come by is standard morse style dual stick controls, Im pretty sure the one I have came from the Midwest Lobsterboat kit. I havent seen many side mount running lights that look right either.

Brent
bbenner is online now Find More Posts by bbenner
Old May 30, 2014, 06:28 AM
Find More Posts by sound sailor
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
2,027 Posts
Have to agree with Brent. Impossible to find side mount nav lights for small craft be it lobster boats or picnic/fishing boats, cabin cruisers, etc. . Everything is board lights.
Don't know if lights is something Charlie wants to take on , or maybe Aimee, but there sure is a need.

Also a molded buoy wouldn't be bad . It can be difficult to shape them without a lathe although I chuck a dowel in a drill to make them.

Sure like the bigger lobsters . The Midwest ones always look like shorts that should be thrown back. Should not be painted red either.

Bill
sound sailor is online now Find More Posts by sound sailor
Last edited by sound sailor; May 30, 2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old May 30, 2014, 06:49 AM
Find More Posts by der kapitan
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,870 Posts
I also get a chuckle about the "red" lobsters that I see all too often in model kits.

They're only red after cooking---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old May 30, 2014, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by blutoh
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ
Joined Mar 2012
1,681 Posts
Aimee has some nice LEDs in different shapes, colors and sizes, check out her web site.
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old May 30, 2014, 08:34 AM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Joined Jul 2011
2,027 Posts
Aimee's lights are meant for tugs etc and don't work for smaller craft as side mounts.

Bill
Old May 30, 2014, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by charlie eaton
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,163 Posts
I have a few sets of cast parts and a box full of old parts from boats long gone. The only 2 sets that I have with side lights instead of the common boxed lights is the Ideal Owens and the Sterling Harco. There may be other old kits with that type of light but I have never seen them offered as seperate part packages. So Charlie, that might be a good thing to offer. Resin would be good thing as many boats use that type. The Dumas 40' utility boat used side lights but the kit comes withh boxed type.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old May 30, 2014, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by tghsmith
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
2,003 Posts
I've seen some souvenir miniature lobster traps with decent shaped lobsters (yes wrong color)in them.. some molds made from small crayfish could produce some increadeble results..time to go wade in a nearby stream.. say 1 inch long..
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old May 30, 2014, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by bbenner
BOATBring Out Another Thousand
United States, ME, South Bristol
Joined Sep 2013
1,123 Posts
A properly sized 1/12 scale just legal lobster would be about a 1/4" from the eye to the start of the tail, an oversize would be just under 1/2".

I wasnt talking about working lights just ones that look the part.

Brent
bbenner is online now Find More Posts by bbenner
Old May 30, 2014, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,406 Posts
When my trap got lost, with most of my lobstah's in it, I searched for something to replace them and found a girls bracelet that had the crustaceaon's on it as decorations. I cut of the rings and painted them as they came in a silver plated finish.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old May 30, 2014, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,844 Posts
Word is there is a need for king crab.

I have been known to bend the LED wires 90 to mount lamps.
Then build the fixture for them.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old May 30, 2014, 12:58 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,492 Posts
I plan on working with Aimee to make the parts I / we need. I have been making masters for quite a few different projects, and kit mfg's, for the past 20+ years. I have made RTV molds, and poured my own parts in the past, but, at this time I only want to do the masters. Also, by Aimee doing the parts, it will be easy for the rest of you to get what you want, when you need it. As any parts that Aimee does for "me personally", she can add to her "parts available list". The reason I added this comment is, she also makes "proprietary kit parts", for Troy and I. CB
Old May 30, 2014, 01:45 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Joined Jul 2011
2,027 Posts
That is great news, Charlie. The only comment I would make is that it seems Aimee does not seem to list many of her excellent products on her site so we don't know everything she can provide unless we see mention of it in a thread here.
Old May 30, 2014, 01:56 PM
Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,925 Posts
Pat Matthews did 3D cast side lights for his PanAir model, but a set in 1" scale, as well as some in 1/16 for the 21" Midwest Lobster boat would be greatly appreciated.

Bluejacket has cast 1" scale lobsters, but do not make any in 1 1/2" = 1' (1/8 scale), even though they sell the 1/8 scale Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. I have a Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack I got from The Laughing Whale that dearly needs a re-start on construction now that I have a decent sail winch, and I would like to get a few lobsters in 1/8" scale. Maybe I should start recommending to the RED LOBSTER that the start selling charm bracelets as souvenirs. (At my age, hanging around the little girls jewelry at the mall might be considered creepy by some -- but I could always say it is for the grandkids,)

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old May 30, 2014, 09:37 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,492 Posts
Brent and Sound Sailor

Nav. lights, ARE on my list, as is a correct float boey for marking the traps. Brent, do you have a specific "float" in mind? I have looked up fishing gear suppliers, and was going to pick the largest, best looking, AND, easiest to cast, one. Then machine a master for Aimee. I do not think I have a set of the correct nav. lights, for masters, if one of you do, that would be great. I was planing in having Aimee cast them in transparent "colored" resin, with LED's, like she does her other nav. lights.

Brent, which Morse control, (single or double handles)? I have seen both used on a single screw boat.

My goal is to be able to build a "scale" looking boat, with most of the basic details. I just figured that there were others that needed the same parts. So why not make a master, instead of just a part for my boat. CB